P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Lets talk turntables.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 81, 82, 83  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tormentedFist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humus wrote:

What I don't really like is the seperate motor. It's not attached to the plint for audio-quality reasons, but I just prefer my turntable to be in one piece.

Isn't an outboard motor (or what to call it) mainly to avoid vibrations from the spinning motor as the stylus (in theory) is sensible them? Saying "in theory" since I'm not sure if I'd have the ears to detect that (at least not an otherwise decent turntable e.g. like the RP9/RP10).
Trade/want list: http://nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=890122#890122
sloughfegkillers

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta say though, due to being a drunk Iíve fucked my Rega turntable a few times, think there should be some warning like ďdonít operate after 12 cansĒ
tormentedFist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sloughfegkillers wrote:
Gotta say though, due to being a drunk Iíve fucked my Rega turntable a few times, think there should be some warning like ďdonít operate after 12 cansĒ

That warning could be generalized to "Don't play vinyl after 12 cans", tbh.
sloughfegkillers

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I think thatís a pretty good general rule tbh, unless youíre prepared to fix it afterwards.
tormentedFist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sloughfegkillers wrote:
Yeah I think thatís a pretty good general rule tbh, unless youíre prepared to fix it afterwards.

"fix it"; I managed to drop my (first) copy of Old Tower - Spectral Horizons in the process of flipping it, ending up with a huge scratch on side A that affected play. Luckily I found an overseas distro that still had a copy, but that ended up in a $65 order for two records incl shipping. Quick fix, but not ideal for my bank account, haha.
sloughfegkillers

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Know what youíre saying mate, luckily I havenít noticed any damaged lps but Iíve had to take my player in to be fixed 3 times in the last 12 months Laughing
Tyranor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tormentedFist wrote:

"fix it"; I managed to drop my (first) copy of Old Tower - Spectral Horizons in the process of flipping it, ending up with a huge scratch on side A that affected play. Luckily I found an overseas distro that still had a copy, but that ended up in a $65 order for two records incl shipping. Quick fix, but not ideal for my bank account, haha.

Yeah had the same situation with one of mine's The Coffinshakers LP's. And it's sold out everywhere but I still hope to buy a replacement one day hehe
lemegethon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tormentedFist wrote:
sloughfegkillers wrote:

That warning could be generalized to "Don't play vinyl after 12 cans", tbh.

12 cans is nothing to me /tough guy mode off

Seriously, it is wise to stay away from your record player when you're drunk. Problem is: I like to play records when I'm drunk in particular.
Janis Petke

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sloughfegkillers wrote:
I have a Rega planar 3 run through a rega elicit- r amp through Rega rs5 speakers and I can verify that it sounds fucking good Very Happy
Love the Rega philosophy, minimalist looking with all the goodness put into what matters.

Huge fan of Rega here. Just bought the new Brio amp and I have the RP8 turntable. Gonna get the Rega dac, as well. Then I'll just replace a few shitty cables and my system is done.
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lemegethon wrote:

Seriously, it is wise to stay away from your record player when you're drunk. Problem is: I like to play records when I'm drunk in particular.

Yep. This is pretty much my main argument against the existence of a loving god.
doomedplanet

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better quote would be never drink 12 cans. Since a friend of mine lost part of his liver last year and then died about 10 days ago as a result of a life like that, I guess there is some wisdom in it...

sloughfegkillers wrote:
Roy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tormentedFist wrote:
Humus wrote:

What I don't really like is the seperate motor. It's not attached to the plint for audio-quality reasons, but I just prefer my turntable to be in one piece.

Isn't an outboard motor (or what to call it) mainly to avoid vibrations from the spinning motor as the stylus (in theory) is sensible them? Saying "in theory" since I'm not sure if I'd have the ears to detect that (at least not an otherwise decent turntable e.g. like the RP9/RP10).

I donít like the look of many separate/decoupled motors,or whatever the official audiophile term is. Initially i had my eyes on the Marantz tt15s1 to go with the Marantz component. That one has a hole in the deck where you place the decoupled motor,so it is still part of the player instead of placing it completely on the outside. I checked some turntable/hi fi forums and reviews and you have to hold the motor with one hand and press play with the other because it can shift. Didnít want any of that cumbersome stuff in the end.

Another question;
My new turntable comes with a record weight of ~750 grams/1,6lbís. I really think it is far too heavy when i have it in my hand,bordering on ridiculousness. Anyone use those things? A lot of manufacturers include weights or clamps with the mid to upper range players. It does look nice with a lp on the tt though.
krieg666

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got the audio technica LP60. it's pretty great. not upgrading anytime soon.
Fork Tongue

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krieg666 wrote:
i got the audio technica LP60. it's pretty great. not upgrading anytime soon.

Me too. Don't understand dropping real money on an audiophile turntable when 90% of the stuff we all listen to is produced like garbage.
steve

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fork Tongue wrote:
Anyone mess with the Fluance RT81? I dont need to be dropping or 5 bills at a time for a solid turntable so 250 for this thing doesnt seem bad.

https://www.amazon.com/Fluance-Elliptical-Counterweight-Anti-Skating-RT81/dp/B01F2EXIFM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486688087&sr=8-1&keywords=fluance+rt81+record+player

Fork Tongue, did you ever get that Fluance turntable?

One of my friends back home just purchased a Fluance RT 80 and is complaining about a humming noise. I am out of town for work, so unable to look at it in person, but he assures me that the RCA and ground connections are fine.
He says there is a very loud humming noise when he plays records with the dust cover up. When the dust cover is down, the humming is pretty much non-existant.

I have been searching online and didn't have much luck other than RCA/ground connection issues, but he says that is fine. The speakers are not too close to the table either.
What else may be the cause for this hum?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 81, 82, 83  Next
Page 82 of 83

Jump to: