P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Lets talk turntables.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 79, 80, 81, 82, 83  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
funeral-records

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K.D.S. wrote:
Fairly certain a brush and some cleaning solution usually does the trick just fine under regular circumstances. A spinclean might be useful if you wish to clean some seriously old and dirty records (stuff that has been left untouched in the attic for decades or some old records that you found in the dollar bin at some dusty thrift store).

spin clean is really just a luxury item.

I run old filthy records from the 50's under cold tap water with high pressure, then pat them dry and afterwards I'll use a vintage Discwasher brush with d4 to finish it off. (only vintage Discwasher brushes are effective, the new ones are made differently)

Results are just like a spin clean.

Now a vaccuum cleaner is a bit of a different story, but those are way too expensive for me to care.
K.D.S.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

funeral-records wrote:
K.D.S. wrote:
Fairly certain a brush and some cleaning solution usually does the trick just fine under regular circumstances. A spinclean might be useful if you wish to clean some seriously old and dirty records (stuff that has been left untouched in the attic for decades or some old records that you found in the dollar bin at some dusty thrift store).

Now a vaccuum cleaner is a bit of a different story, but those are way too expensive for me to care.

Shit, did some research and yeah, definitely doesn't seem like something to invest in.

So you just used tap water to clean old records? Somehow that seems a bit of a gamble, but perhaps I should try this on an old record I haven'd played in ages and couldn't care less about anyway (mind you, I live in an area where tap water is considered among the world's best, but still..)
funeral-records

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K.D.S. wrote:
funeral-records wrote:
K.D.S. wrote:

Shit, did some research and yeah, definitely doesn't seem like something to invest in.

So you just used tap water to clean old records? Somehow that seems a bit of a gamble, but perhaps I should try this on an old record I haven'd played in ages and couldn't care less about anyway (mind you, I live in an area where tap water is considered among the world's best, but still..)

yeah, basically just spin them under high pressure cold tap water to dislodge dirt and other shit that has accumulated. only on old, super dirty records though.
gordeth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even the best tap water is going to contain dissolved minerals. There's no way I would try that on any of my LPs, especially with my high-calcium water.

I'm going to pick up one of those velvet brushes before I try the Spin-Clean. Thanks for posting that, blodhemn9.
funeral-records

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gordeth wrote:
Even the best tap water is going to contain dissolved minerals. There's no way I would try that on any of my LPs, especially with my high-calcium water.

I'm going to pick up one of those velvet brushes before I try the Spin-Clean. Thanks for posting that, blodhemn9.

were talking ancient LP's with decades of dust and mold. "dissolved materials" is nothing compared to all of that and d4 would take care of that anyways.
K-mart

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

funeral-records wrote:
K.D.S. wrote:

spin clean is really just a luxury item.

I run old filthy records from the 50's under cold tap water with high pressure, then pat them dry and afterwards I'll use a vintage Discwasher brush with d4 to finish it off. (only vintage Discwasher brushes are effective, the new ones are made differently)

Results are just like a spin clean.

https://squeakycleanvinyl.com/ This does a great job and is not $$$
Inverto Crosso

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

K.D.S. wrote:
I probably also have to adjust the screws that hold the dust cover because that has suddenly started producing incredibly loud creaking sounds. I moved house earlier this month, my guess would be that rough handling during transport caused the trouble.

Apply the hinge pins with oil and behold; the dust cover is quiet.
patientot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: record cleaning, if you are serious, just buy a vac-based RCM. They're not all $500+ anymore so as long as you are willing to turn the record by hand. The Record Doctor, Squeaky Clean, and KAB EV-1 are all fairly affordable. If you want to spend a bit more look at the Okki Nokki and VPI machines.

Get a good cleaning solution for your RCM. also. The weak one step cleaners and homebrew solutions are a waste of time unless you're just cleaning new vinyl only.

Been through a few different cleaning methods: DIY, Spin Clean, and RCM.

RCM with enzyme based record cleaning fluid is by far the most effective of the methods I've tried. It needs to be rinse cycled with distilled water thoroughly but the results are worth the effort.

RE: record brushes, they are okay for dusting the surface between cleanings but don't get down in the grooves. If you have a dirty used LP and try to clean it with one, you are just cleaning the surface and lodging gunk deeper in the grooves. Same thing with "spraying and wiping".
patientot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K.D.S. wrote:
Fairly certain a brush and some cleaning solution usually does the trick just fine under regular circumstances.

Not true in my experience. Used LPs at any record store (even high priced stuff, not dollar bin crap) are much dirtier than people realize. Many new records are also filthy, depending on what plant pressed them. Anyone that doesn't think so, I invite you to drink a glass of my dirty RCM water.
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patientot wrote:

RE: record brushes, they are okay for dusting the surface between cleanings but don't get down in the grooves. If you have a dirty used LP and try to clean it with one, you are just cleaning the surface and lodging gunk deeper in the grooves. Same thing with "spraying and wiping".

Yes, a regular carbon fiber brush is only getting the loose/surface stuff out. But that velvet "pad" I posted a page or two back is a different story. That thing absolutely gets into the grooves and dislodges all sorts of shit that's stuck in them.
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gordeth wrote:

Distilled water (can be bought at the grocery stole by the gallon for cheap) is what you need if you're going to be putting water on records.
patientot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blodhemn9 wrote:
patientot wrote:

Yes, a regular carbon fiber brush is only getting the loose/surface stuff out. But that velvet "pad" I posted a page or two back is a different story. That thing absolutely gets into the grooves and dislodges all sorts of shit that's stuck in them.

It's not going to get everything out, not even close. Sorry.
Jorm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ordered one of those velvet brush following blodhemn9's advice. Really good to clean new records or not so dirty records. It's also good to remove dust before playing a record, way better than the carbon fiber brush I was using.

It was particularly effective for my Graveland/Bialy Vitez split that had a some kind of powder and hair on it though being new.

Not so effective on my 47 years old Meddle record, but I was expecting this. I need to try with other fluids and distilled water.
sloughfegkillers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pardon my ignorance but my brush arrived and I have some distilled water here, is it ok to just dunk the brush in the water and just give them a good old scrubbing?
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patientot wrote:
blodhemn9 wrote:
patientot wrote:

It's not going to get everything out, not even close. Sorry.

No, of course not. I never said it would. It's not going to do the same job as a $500 + record cleaning machine is going to do, but it's a good cheap option that's loads better than just going over it with a carbon fiber brush, and will do a fine job for most peoples needs.

I only brought it up because people were considering buying a spin clean which costs 4x's as much as that pad+solution combo, and does far less of a good job.

Jorm wrote:
I've ordered one of those velvet brush following blodhemn9's advice. Really good to clean new records or not so dirty records. It's also good to remove dust before playing a record, way better than the carbon fiber brush I was using.

It was particularly effective for my Graveland/Bialy Vitez split that had a some kind of powder and hair on it though being new.

Not so effective on my 47 years old Meddle record, but I was expecting this. I need to try with other fluids and distilled water.

Yep. Glad to hear your happy with it for what it is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 79, 80, 81, 82, 83  Next
Page 80 of 83

Jump to: