P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Lets talk turntables.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 75, 76, 77, 78  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Psalmanazar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gordeth wrote:
Psalmanazar wrote:
The correct choice is not to buy anything with that budget. Stick to CDs and lossless digital. They're better anyway and you only have half of what a decent turntable would cost, yet alone a good cart and phono pre.

Vinyl will just sound like total shit on a cheap Chinese made table. Buy some cheap, bang for buck digital gear or new speakers instead to satisfy your list for better sound. JBL LSR 305 are what? 200-300 a pair? Those are legit okay.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree here. Vinyl has a learning curve so I say get into it as soon as possible instead of waiting until you can afford an expensive setup. That way, when you do upgrade, you'll be used to the level of care required and you'll appreciate it more.
That's retarded. You'll just destroy all the records you buy if you don't know how to set alignment and tracking force or play them on a setup with audible inner groove distortion. You gotta know that and have at least an okay system.

Last edited by Psalmanazar on Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:50 pm; edited 3 times in total
Crasse

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humus wrote:
Crasse wrote:
Humus wrote:
Where are they selling the RP1 at 199? That's a steal!

Spain.
https://www.supersonido.es/busqueda/?b=Rega+RP1

Fuck, no shipping possible. Cheapest option loczlly is 270 for the rp1. Still want to buy one as a back-up turntable.

If it was something different I could probably send it to you but this is very expensive and fragile to do this...
Confused

I can't decide if I want to pay for the Goldring E1 or not.
Too Dark Park

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patientot wrote:
Too Dark Park wrote:
Technics 1600 MK2 Vs Technics 1200 Mk 1 or 2, price of 1600 relatively half that of 1200, 1600 has been serviced . Thoughts?

Need more info. What type of servicing was done on the 1600? To some people, servicing means simply spraying potentiometers with deoxit and wiping down with a damp cloth. That is not real servicing. Find out what was done.

What kind of condition is the 1200 in? Google for how to test one. Many people buy one that's been abused by a DJ or whatever then figure out tonearm bearings are shot and things have been jerry-rigged on it.

If you don't test either out in person do not buy either.

Thanks
gordeth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psalmanazar wrote:
gordeth wrote:
Psalmanazar wrote:
The correct choice is not to buy anything with that budget. Stick to CDs and lossless digital. They're better anyway and you only have half of what a decent turntable would cost, yet alone a good cart and phono pre.

Vinyl will just sound like total shit on a cheap Chinese made table. Buy some cheap, bang for buck digital gear or new speakers instead to satisfy your list for better sound. JBL LSR 305 are what? 200-300 a pair? Those are legit okay.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree here. Vinyl has a learning curve so I say get into it as soon as possible instead of waiting until you can afford an expensive setup. That way, when you do upgrade, you'll be used to the level of care required and you'll appreciate it more.
That's retarded. You'll just destroy all the records you buy if you don't know how to set alignment and tracking force or play them on a setup with audible inner groove distortion. You gotta know that and have at least an okay system.

That's why I think he should get whatever he can so he can start learning about that stuff. So what if there's a chance that some LPs could get slightly damaged in the process.
S.H.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there are definitely a learning curve when it comes to turntables and vinyl. Nothing too difficult really, but it's there. My first turntable was oldie from my grandpa, pretty good actually.
GuilioCrippler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't much learning curve with a Rega RP1. Its pretty much plug and play.

Although, you have to change the belt for 45 RPM, but that's more annoying than difficult.
sydo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will probably finally give in and purchase a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB after Xmas. Or does anybody have a better recommendation for similar price (cca 520 EUR)?
lemegethon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psalmanazar wrote:
gordeth wrote:
Psalmanazar wrote:

Heh... Destroying records... They will wear out eventually anyway. Just enjoy the music while you're still alive.
Crasse

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally bought the RP1 with the Carbon cartridge for 199. Not sure why people don't recommend buying this kind of TT, it sounds amazing. Even with the cheap cartridge and connected to a non-expensive amp (Pioneer A10K), i'm really surprised.

Of course I'm coming from a pretty bad turntable that I didn't even want to use anymore but this is more than enough for occasional listening. Would like to hear a very expensive turntable just for comparison, though.
sloughfegkillers

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crasse wrote:
Finally bought the RP1 with the Carbon cartridge for 199. Not sure why people don't recommend buying this kind of TT, it sounds amazing. Even with the cheap cartridge and connected to a non-expensive amp (Pioneer A10K), i'm really surprised.

Of course I'm coming from a pretty bad turntable that I didn't even want to use anymore but this is more than enough for occasional listening. Would like to hear a very expensive turntable just for comparison, though.

Love my RP3 never had an issue with it and it always sounds great, just had it serviced recently for the first time after nearly 10 years of pretty solid use.
funeral-records

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crasse wrote:
Finally bought the RP1 with the Carbon cartridge for 199.

That is an excellent turntable at an excellent price.. Ive had my debut III for about 7 years now and am considering an upgrade soon. Cant imagine any improvement in sound without shelling out big bucks though.
gordeth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

funeral-records wrote:
Ive had my debut III for about 7 years now and am considering an upgrade soon. Cant imagine any improvement in sound without shelling out big bucks though.

I have the Debut Carbon and I'm wondering the same thing. I really just want something that I don't have to lift the damn platter off of to change the speed.

Does anyone happen to have one of those Orbit turntables? I'd love to know how one of those sound with an acrylic platter and a good cartridge.
doomedplanet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lifting off a platter to change speeds is one of the most stupid things that ever happened to turntables.

What is your budget? I would say vintage direct drive is the best option on a budget. Looked at a lot of new tables a few years ago and construction seemed so cheap until spending a lot of cash. Orbit especially.

gordeth wrote:
funeral-records wrote:
Ive had my debut III for about 7 years now and am considering an upgrade soon. Cant imagine any improvement in sound without shelling out big bucks though.

I have the Debut Carbon and I'm wondering the same thing. I really just want something that I don't have to lift the damn platter off of to change the speed.

Does anyone happen to have one of those Orbit turntables? I'd love to know how one of those sound with an acrylic platter and a good cartridge.
funeral-records

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gordeth wrote:

Not sure how well the tonearm is built but I do know that they do not have a tracking force dial so you'd need a scale to measure tracking force if you ever needed or wanted to replace or change out the cartridge.

I would skip Orbit honestly. It was built to be a decent quality plug and play for those who don't have time for aligning or changing cartridges, and adjusting tracking force.

One of these with a 12" tonearm, additional grounding and acrylic platter would be the next logical step, and probably all I'd ever need: http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=rpm3carbon&cat=turntables&lang=en

(the RPM 1 wouldn't be a bad option either)

edit: Also, that video they made for the RPM 3 is hilarious. Some chick blowing on the record to "clean it" and then manually placing the fucking needle down at the end of the record by hand.. Jesus christ Laughing
patientot

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doomedplanet wrote:
Lifting off a platter to change speeds is one of the most stupid things that ever happened to turntables.

What is your budget? I would say vintage direct drive is the best option on a budget. Looked at a lot of new tables a few years ago and construction seemed so cheap until spending a lot of cash. Orbit especially.

This.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 75, 76, 77, 78  Next
Page 76 of 78

Jump to: