P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

New vinyl player. Any suggestions??
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doomedplanet

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: New vinyl player. Any suggestions?? Reply with quote

I didn't say you HAD to spend that much, just that it is possible IF YOU WANT TO. You can spend far for more than that if you were a maniac, I've seen high end turntables in audiophile shops for $40,000!

but of course you can get something very nice for a lot less. I bought my Thorens TD166 MkII in 1990 for about $300 and it is still running fine after 18 years. But I spend $300 every couple of years on a good cartridge.

If you get a solid quality used table make sure you buy a nice cartridge because a shitty one will trash your records.

another guy said "Any reason why the turntable itself is important". Because if you have a cheap-o table and cartridge set up incorrectly it will destroy your records, that is why. But if you don't care about the money you spent on your record collection, by all means you should wreck your lps.

0%cured wrote:

$10.000+??!?!?!. What does it do? Plays vinyls,washes clothes and make coffe? hahahahaha!!! I surely can't give that amount(not even in my dreams).I can give an amount up to 250-300 euros(aprox. $370) .
CraiGORE

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a sony automatic, also 2 technics direct drive with a stanton mixer that I use as a pre-amp, i got them for all under $30 each used.
Endless Morbidity

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a Sony turntable from my aunt that's never even been used. It's only problem is that it's been in a basement for the past 5 years and is really dusty. It can be cleaned up.

No needle either. If anyone is interested, I'll trade it for some LP's. It's pretty light weight, so shipping wouldn't be too bad.
derelict

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've got an old technics automatic table, its okay, wish it wasn't auto though.
anybody have recommendations on cartridges? i want some thing nice and clear, no jacked bass, as this seems to be common nowadays.
0%cured

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New vinyl player. Any suggestions?? Reply with quote

[quote="doomedplanet"]I didn't say you HAD to spend that much, just that it is possible IF YOU WANT TO. You can spend far for more than that if you were a maniac, I've seen high end turntables in audiophile shops for $40,000!

but of course you can get something very nice for a lot less. I bought my Thorens TD166 MkII in 1990 for about $300 and it is still running fine after 18 years. But I spend $300 every couple of years on a good cartridge.

If you get a solid quality used table make sure you buy a nice cartridge because a shitty one will trash your records.

another guy said "Any reason why the turntable itself is important". Because if you have a cheap-o table and cartridge set up incorrectly it will destroy your records, that is why. But if you don't care about the money you spent on your record collection, by all means you should wreck your lps.

I know. I was just joking!!(Mediterranean humor...hahahaha!!!) The thing is I had never searched (until now) the...market and I surely didn't believe that a turntable would be so expensive! You are totally right about the last part. The turntable I have, have wrecked some of my old lp's. Fortunately my big bro's letting me use his turntable for now...
stampoutdisco

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thorens TD 180 Mk 2 is what Im running at the moment, but I play most of my records on my girlfriends Thorens TD 318 mk 3.

Great turntables both of em, and both for under $200 second hand.

The one feature i really like about thorens is they are top end quality turntables, but have auto return, that not many do. After running another lower/mid range turntable with out it, and falling asleep or forgetting to turn it off so many times and digging a deep groove at the end of afew records, its something that I really appreciate.

Has anyone bought a new Thorens turntable??
Ichor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a STANTON turntable, good quality/price combination.
Recommended
Straxus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is this? The Needle?

buy a nice cartridge

Besides, it is possible to unite old / classic turntables with modern midi, equipment alike sony, aiwa, or you have to buy amplifiers and speakers always ??
Son of Satan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to dig this old thread up but couldnt find the other thread on the topic. Im looking for a bare bones system better then the dogshit combo thing i have from kmart. I dont have a ton of money so something in the 100-200 dollar range is what i need.

-Trade List-
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: