P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

SCUM "Garden of Shadows" - Released!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood Music

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:20 pm    Post subject: SCUM "Garden of Shadows" - Released! Reply with quote

Blood Music is extremely proud to present to its roster, a one-of-a-kind release by the forgotten classic Finnish death metal outfit SCUM!

Hailing from Parikkala (eastern Finland), this obscure five-piece unit formed in 1990 – at the onset of Finnish death metal – and quickly landed a spot on Quorthon (Bathory)'s Black Mark Production label.

SCUM kicked out two back-to-back albums in the mid-90s, the first was a solid straight-up doom/death metal effort entitled “Mother Nature” (1994). The second one took things in a decidely more psychedelic manner and was unleashed with the awesome title “Purple Dreams & Magic Poems” (1995).

Being unfortunately overshadowed by the known Swedish death metal outfits on their label (Edge of Sanity / Necrophobic) and by comparatively interesting bands at home (Amorphis / Demigod), the band failed to reach its intended audience.

In 1996, SCUM spent their own time and money to record their final album, entitled “Garden of Shadows.” They sent it in to Quorthon to release, and they never heard from Quorthon again. The band broke up soon after, and the album was stuffed inside a drawer never to be listened to by anyone.

After a round of nearly three years (!) of discussions, the band was finally encouraged to send the original master of the album to us. Forget the nostalgia trip of currently reforming 90s death metal bands or youngsters trying to emulate 'the old days.' It was shocking to hear this excellent and undiscovered record that had been sitting dormant so long!

This is THE REAL DEAL – a first time publication of a classic death metal album that has never been heard before, stuffed in a drawer for several decades to incubate. Think an authentic companion piece to Amorphis's “Tales From the Thousand Lakes” mixed with doses of death n' roll, and you're on the right track.

The band has now sent along the original artwork (in physical form), as well as tons of original photos from the era, so we have everything we need to authentically recreate the entire package.

Since the album was completed in 1996 and slated for release then, we've made the collective decision to debut this album next year. “Garden of Shadows” will be released in 2016, on its 20th anniversary of never being heard.

For the first time ever, stream a track from the album below. We present track #2 in its unaltered, unmastered, and original form - “Golden Seeds”:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut7vuUhQfxY

-------

Updated: Now available for pre-order:

PRE-ORDER: October 13th, 2016
RELEASE: December 2nd, 2016

The lost Finnish death metal classic.

Scum "Garden of Shadows" LP / CD:

LP -

* Limited edition of 250 Silver & Black Swirl vinyl.
* Limited edition of 150 Black vinyl.
* Pressed onto 180-gram+ vinyl.
* Mastered specifically for vinyl.
* Heavyweight 350gsm single-pocket jacket with soft metallic-silver pantone printing and silky-smooth, anti-scratch matte lamination finish. Black flood printing inside the jacket pocket.
* Printed inner sleeve with original band photos from the era, and a newly-written statement by singer P.T. Askola.

CD -

* 6-panel, fold-out panorama digipack with silver pantone printing and silky-smooth, anti-scratch matte lamination finish.
* 1000 copies.
* Professionally-glass mastered CD with CD-specific mastering.

Blood Music
http://www.blood-music.com
http://www.facebook.com/BlooodMusic

Last edited by Blood Music on Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:32 pm; edited 3 times in total
harald mentor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome news! We even had some talks about putting this out on Bestial Burst some years ago, but didn´t have much else than the raw audio and somewhere in the process the whole project got forgotten & buried. Anyway, it´s a killer album and totally deserves to be finally released in all it´s glory! Will this be on vinyl or cd? The two first albums should get the vinyl treatment someday.

Man, that photo! Parikkalan patsaspuisto cult!
Blood Music

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Smile The band mentioned one other label contacted them in the past, but they never got it all together.

It will be released on vinyl, CD, digital - all! If reaction is very strong, a cassette can be done too.

Blood Music
eldera777

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious to hear it, please keep us updated! Very Happy
harald mentor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I´ve known their vocalist very well since ´92 - ´93 (we´ve had quite a few band projects etc. together), five or so years back we talked about the possible cd release, he gave me the raw mix cd-r and then everyone (including me) was busy or something. This cd + lp on Blood Music is so much better than we could have come up with at that time, so total support from here!
Garcia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagerly to hear new old stuff.
peterott

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

7" and first CD were fantastic. Didn't get into their 2nd one though.
LordKrumb

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: SCUM (forgotten Finnish death metal) Reply with quote

Blood Music wrote:

This is THE REAL DEAL – a first time publication of a classic death metal album that has never been heard before, stuffed in a drawer for several decades to incubate. Think an authentic companion piece to Amorphis's “Tales From the Thousand Lakes” mixed with doses of death n' roll, and you're on the right track.

In a way, I quite like the sample song. If it's representative of the style used on the rest of the album, then I'd say it's a stretch to call this "classic death metal" though. The song seems to me very much like a classic heavy metal composition played with an old Finnish death metal sound production and vocals. It's well executed though.
gordeth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This just made my week. I've been hoping that someone would discover and release this ever since I got into their first two albums a few years back. I wish I didn't have to wait until next year, but by the sound of that track, it will be well worth the wait. It reminds me a lot of the sound that Sentenced explored on Amok.
Guido

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance to see Mother Nature on LP on your label as well?
krakentorso

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mother nature was a very average and forgettable album in my opinion.
but to each his own.
Blood Music

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really cool to see a lot of people into this!

Unfortunately, Black Mark is an iron vault with regards to licensing. Pretty sure that I even wrote them a while ago about SCUM but no reply. They just don't license out or sell rights at all, so ... as long as Quorthon's father runs it, no one can do anything about the earlier records.

Blood Music
gordeth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: SCUM (forgotten Finnish death metal) Reply with quote

Blood Music wrote:
Since the album was completed in 1996 and slated for release then, we've made the collective decision to debut this album next year. “Garden of Shadows” will be released in 2016, on its 20th anniversary of never being heard.

Well, the year is half over and I have yet to see anymore news about this. Is it still in the works?
Blood Music

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup! Sent to press a few weeks ago. Will still come out this year.

Blood Music
Esoptron
banned

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not interested in them but the park on the pic seems cool.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: