P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Layout Thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masters_throne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Layout Thread Reply with quote

Well, I just have a few questions (not all of them comes to my mind right now) concerning layout matters.

Do anyone of you (Yosuke, Luca, Azter,...) have had to use a scan of a CD-Cover for a LP-Cover? What should I consider if scanning such. I can at least scan it at 500dpi at a copy center near my home. I have already used their service for the Sadex poster. But that was already A3 sized.

Can someone tell me any LP's that used that way and could tell me about the result (fukked up, pixelated, etc.)?

We are working on an LP that will be released before summer, but none can give us the original masters or pictures, so we have to scan EVERYTHING from the CD-Version.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks...

= KILL I =
= KILL II =

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made something similar (10" EP) for a band, scanning their CD but at 1200 dpi and the result was very good, no pixels, etc...
Jacy Catlin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
I have not done any LPs but I work in graphic design- Yes you should scan the original (CD) art at the highest DPI possible. This will reduce the crispness of the artwork but it will not show any pixelization. See GBK Kosherat LP for what happens if you just take the original CD art file and stretch it out in Photoshop.

There are a few effects in photoshop which you can use to reduce the look of imperfections in art that is blown up this way (like "median" effect) without giving it a shitty computerized look, but it depends on the colors and type of image as to how to handle it.
Hope that helps-
Jacy
NWN PROD

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to scan the Goatlord s/t CD cover and blow it up to LP size. What we did was scan it at 600 DPI and removed the logo in photoshop. It's not very hard to do if you know what you're doing. We then used gausian blurr to remove any printing dots (almost everything is printed as small dots if you look close enough). Not removing these dots will create a pattern in your artwork. The logo was scanned in separately and cleaned up before betting replaced on top of where it used to be.

Just scanning the cover straight would have ended up looking lame with the logo not being sharp enough, etc.

Web: nwnprod.com

masters_throne

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys for all the information...

= KILL I =
= KILL II =
ThornCross

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NWN PROD wrote:
I had to scan the Goatlord s/t CD cover and blow it up to LP size.

Didn't I send you an LP size scan ????
NWN PROD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The JL America full color artwork.

Web: nwnprod.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Layout Thread Reply with quote

masters_throne wrote:
Well, I just have a few questions (not all of them comes to my mind right now) concerning layout matters.

Do anyone of you (Yosuke, Luca, Azter,...) have had to use a scan of a CD-Cover for a LP-Cover? What should I consider if scanning such. I can at least scan it at 500dpi at a copy center near my home. I have already used their service for the Sadex poster. But that was already A3 sized.

Can someone tell me any LP's that used that way and could tell me about the result (fukked up, pixelated, etc.)?

We are working on an LP that will be released before summer, but none can give us the original masters or pictures, so we have to scan EVERYTHING from the CD-Version.

Yes, I did this with the Satan's Host LP as the original is seemingly lost. I scanned it from a bootleg CD actually - in 600 dpi which could be blown up with good result. If you scan af fx. 1200 dpi you will see TOO much like the paper fibers etc.!

Any help is appreciated. Thanks...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: