P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

The unholy trinity of death/doom
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Devoured Death

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Molestor wrote:
Ross Liew wrote:
UK's The Prophecy

This is Devoured Death's favourite band. He has tonnes of rarities - if you want to trade PM him.

Timotei cult!!!

You have your vengance now...
anthares

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WINTER "12 /ASPHYX "7 /PARADISE LOST lp
Humus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody know Evercry "Demise of the crown" MCD? Kinda reminded me of late 90's Katatonia. Picked it up in a second hand store but never saw anybody talk about them.
unrelentor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only Decomposed I ever heard was the "Hope Finally Died" CD. Managed to pick it up cheap 2nd hand while browsing in a music store back in the 90s. I had read a few reviews about some crushing heavy Death/Doom. I remember seeing the band pic. of members posing bleakly in front of an undertakers window so I thought I was onto something promising...after listening I thought they were pretty lame. Just couldn't get into such crap. I ended up giving it to a mate. Perhaps their earlier material was better?
Anyway unlike some of the other hippy bands mentioned here at least they changed their name to Hangnail before proving how fake they were.
Raven

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decomposed are crappy? Maybe you don't like the genre, but if you appreciate death/doom metal, Decomposed are a really good band..and I "suggest" also Ceremonium, I was listening at their cd yesterday, dark and melancholic doom/death metal..
Raven

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and try also Moondark cd-r/LP, swedish doom/death metal "as filthy as possible"..
Raven

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unrelentor wrote:
hippy bands

I didn't see this "gem"..Katatonia, My Dying Bride, Anathema, Decomposed, Chorus Of Ruin, Paradise Lost...one can really say "what a happiness"!!!!
Devoured Death

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven wrote:
Decomposed are crappy? Maybe you don't like the genre, but if you appreciate death/doom metal, Decomposed are a really good band..and I "suggest" also Ceremonium, I was listening at their cd yesterday, dark and melancholic doom/death metal..

The Decomposed EP prior to the album is much better, although I like the album too. Ceremonium are one of the best in this genre though, well, at least the demos and first EP are - some of the most under-rated stuff in the genre.
Black_Fire

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was never a real fan of doom metal, but just love slow death like Winter, Mourning (!), Cianide, or for ex slower part of Torchure, Asphyx etc
www.doomzine.bandcamp.com
Raven

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devoured Death wrote:
Raven wrote:

The Decomposed EP prior to the album is much better, although I like the album too. Ceremonium are one of the best in this genre though, well, at least the demos and first EP are - some of the most under-rated stuff in the genre.

I never heard at the demo and 7'' of Ceremonium, but the tracks on the 7'' are the same that are also on the cd..
Wilhelm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: The unholy trinity of death/doom Reply with quote

thrashbeast wrote:
Anathema, Katatonia, and Paradise Lost. How fucking great were these bands at one point? I was digging through my shit the other day and came across the 'They Die' 7" by Anathema. I was like, how the fuck did this band become so gay?

What about 'Lost Paradise'? I think the last album I heard from these guys they sounded like a mix of Metallica and the Cure. Nowhere near the crushing death sound on their first album.

Katatonia kept things going a little longer before turning into a pile of shit. You wonder if somewhere along the way these bands all made a pact to sell out and start writing goth music so they could make money off of depressed teenagers.

Does anyone know of any underground shit I might not be aware of that is along the lines of the old material from these bands? Old My Dying Bride is the closest thing I've found. Looking for bands that have more emphasis on the doom sound.

I can't remember Anathema much except for "Crestfallen" which I enjoyed back in the day. Paradise Lost is/was good, and I absolutely adore "Draconian Times".

Katatonia is easily my favorite of the bunch. "Dance of December Souls" and "BraveMurderDay" are some of the most mournful/depressing albums ever produced.

Go brush your doll's hair.
unrelentor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Raven wrote:
Oh, and try also Moondark cd-r/LP, swedish doom/death metal "as filthy as possible"..

Yeah Moondark is excellent stuff indeed and I do like some of the early stuff by Paradise Lost, Anathema, Katatonia, MDB amongst others...But no matter how many listens I took I just couldn't get into that Decomposed album. Thats why I gave that CD away about 15 years ago...some years later I remember flicking through an issue of Terrorizer and seeing this band called Hangnail. What caught my eye was the band pic as I recognised most of the lineup of Decomposed. I don't know or care fuck-all about Hangnail other than what was presented in that interview, which was about a bunch of smiley flowery button shirt wearing chaps -"Hippies" as I flippantly termed it- offering some kind stoned/groovy/southern rock/biker "Metal" with obviously commercial intentions. There was no mention whatsoever of their past as a stone faced funeral themed Death/Doom band.
I have read what others have said regarding their better earlier releases but after hearing the album and seeing that Hangnail article I feel Decomposed didn't really change their bandname in as much as changing to what they really were...ceasing to continue the charade.
Devoured Death

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven wrote:
Devoured Death wrote:
Raven wrote:

I never heard at the demo and 7'' of Ceremonium, but the tracks on the 7'' are the same that are also on the cd..

The demo is great, much rawer than the EP though. I've not heard the 7" either though, I've actually only ever seen it once. Weird Truth have been promising for some time that a Ceremonium discography CD will be released, but there's never been any word of it. I might ask Makoto about it next time I email him.
Raven

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a "best of" CD of Ceremonium would be great, and Weird Truth is a very good label, it would be nice if they would release it..
passetiermes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any information about Thy Sinister Bloom; new songs, releases, etc.?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: