P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Parcels sent to the UK
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IntoTheAbyss

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The postal service in UK is one of the worst. I've experienced so many returned packages in the past, even the address was still valid.

Or Metal got banned over there by STUPID CUSTOM?
huja

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LexTalionis wrote:
huja wrote:
maybe because of holidays? i just traded with mitch339 (canada) recently. i sent his package off december 21st and he got it either jan 3rd or 4th.

Not so sure about that, I had to wait 2 months for some parcel shipped from Metal Haven and that was in early october, Yosuke's parcel was sent to me early november (I think) and still took several weeks to find its way to me. Don't know what to think actually.

you're in italy, right? there was a thread on fmp awhile ago about slow postage to/from italy.
monsterSquad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i sent a parcel december 10th international priority, to the u.K. and it still has not arrived there... things seem a lot slower but i too suspect it's because of the holiday rush
carrioncrow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm waiting on a parcel sent from the UK right now...should have been here by now....it seems to be hit or miss...either extremely fast or really fucking slow these days...the 2 for 1 exchange rate blows chunks too...
msp666

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still waiting on an order from Hells Headbangers that was apparently posted to me on the 13th December. Things never normally take this long.

The Postal service normally goes into meltdown at Christmas time what with the volume of greeting cards being sent, not to mention that everyone shops at Amazon for presents
As my crushed bowels evacuate much to my dismay...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As has been pointed out part of the biggest problems with parcels to the UK is the weight. If the parcel is over 2KG it is deemed as a Parcel Force delivery rather than a Royal mail delivery. This becomes a problem if you are expecting it to arrive at a P.O. Box as Parcel Force will not deliver to P.O. Boxes only street addresses. P.F. are meant to leave a note telling you to pick the parcel up but invariably it will not make it to the P.O. Box (that would require some effort and there is a rivalry between Royal Mail and Parcel Force as they were the same operation once before being split into 2) so you are not notified they tried to deliver it. To compound this even if you have a international tracking number and the sender can confirm that it has arrived in the UK distirbution centre unless you have the Parcel Force tracking number (which is totally different) you can't track the parcel or try to pick it up, and it will be sent back. Unfortunately the only way around this is to get anything over 2kg's to the UK sent to a residential-work address or chances are the recipient won't recieve it.

After loosing about 600-800 a year in returned mail and going prematurely grey talking to the idiots on the switch board at Parcel Force I finally worked this out.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

huja wrote:
LexTalionis wrote:
huja wrote:
maybe because of holidays? i just traded with mitch339 (canada) recently. i sent his package off december 21st and he got it either jan 3rd or 4th.

Not so sure about that, I had to wait 2 months for some parcel shipped from Metal Haven and that was in early october, Yosuke's parcel was sent to me early november (I think) and still took several weeks to find its way to me. Don't know what to think actually.

you're in italy, right? there was a thread on fmp awhile ago about slow postage to/from italy.

Cool, can't check it as Wimphelm the Wimpy Wimp wouldn't allow me to, he's afraid I might interrupt his daily oral sex session with Jon Jamshid if I sign up.
Grief

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the strangest things with Parcel Force is that when they receive an unregistered parcel from overseas they attach a barcode/number to it and scan it/have it signed for upon delivery. However, as far as i know, neither the sender or recipient is able to track it using the id details PF have given it. Which kinda makes you wonder why they bother in the first place...

Regarding registered mail from overseas:

I receive mail daily on behalf of around 200 people - i.e quite a lot of mail. Around 50% of the 'International Registered - Signature required' mail i receive i am not asked to sign for by the Royal Mail, so there is no way of the sender knowing it got to it's destination.

I would however say that when sending mail within the UK and internationally i have found the Royal Mail service to be very good. This is of course notwithstanding the expensive prices and the underworked and uninterested workforce.

Parcel Force is even better as they register/insure parcel and they actually can be tracked out of the country to their destinations.

On the flipside, i have had parcels from the US:

Shipped via SINGAPORE because the USPS misread SOUTHAMPTON
Shipped via HONDURAS presumably because they misread HAMPSHIRE
Take 65 days on one occasion for 1st class airmail to arrive (summer '07)

In all 3 of the above cases the packages were from labels/distros and all had typewritten addresses on them. The one that went via Singapore actually only took around a week to go LA-SINGAPORE-UK.
The_Elite

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dissident wrote:
As has been pointed out part of the biggest problems with parcels to the UK is the weight. If the parcel is over 2KG it is deemed as a Parcel Force delivery rather than a Royal mail delivery. This becomes a problem if you are expecting it to arrive at a P.O. Box as Parcel Force will not deliver to P.O. Boxes only street addresses. P.F. are meant to leave a note telling you to pick the parcel up but invariably it will not make it to the P.O. Box (that would require some effort and there is a rivalry between Royal Mail and Parcel Force as they were the same operation once before being split into 2) so you are not notified they tried to deliver it. To compound this even if you have a international tracking number and the sender can confirm that it has arrived in the UK distirbution centre unless you have the Parcel Force tracking number (which is totally different) you can't track the parcel or try to pick it up, and it will be sent back. Unfortunately the only way around this is to get anything over 2kg's to the UK sent to a residential-work address or chances are the recipient won't recieve it.

This is pretty much spot on. Anyone ordering big parcels to a PO BOX- forget it. And Parcel Force are notorious at not letting people know they have tried to deliver stuff. So between those two reasons is probably why stuff gets sent back without the person even knowing about it.

On a brighter note, my NWN package from mid-December arrived safe and sound this morning!!!
NWN PROD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On a brighter note, my NWN package from mid-December arrived safe and sound this morning!!!

1 down, 2 to go.

Web: nwnprod.com

NWN carries all IBP releases.
IBP carries all NWN releases.

The_Elite

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NWN PROD wrote:
Quote:

1 down, 2 to go.

A mate's order turned up today as well sent out the same time (ish)- so 1 to go!!!
NWN PROD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is his name Simon?

The_Elite

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, Alistair...
NWN PROD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok good. I think Simon is the only one left

cannibal_riot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am the Simon in question, and one of my packages from NWN! arrived today, the other one has possibly been sent back to Yosuke, this would not be because I failed to pick it up, I am also waiting for a package from Rise Above in London, supposedly sent on 5th December, to Bristol, it should not have taken a month!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: