P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Records shops in Paris

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goab

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:22 am    Post subject: Records shops in Paris Reply with quote

I'm visiting Paris to attend to a trade fair in late January and I'd like to know if anyone could recommend me some goods shops for vinyl hunting.
Doomraiser

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

En la calle Douai y en la calle Rome hay unas cuantas que yo recuerde. No encontré nada extraordinario de todas formas. Vamos, que en Monster encuentras más y mejores discos (y a mejores precios).

París tiene 10000 sitios extraordinarios que visitar sin tener que recurrir a las tiendas de discos.
Ykh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha, there's N-O-T-H-I-N-G. There used to be a shop called Dysphorie (mostly CDs, almost no vinyls), but it went out of business in april last year. I never ever scored any rare vinyl in Paris (I'm originally from there). When it comes to real metal shops and pubs, this city is absolutely useless.

Doomraiser wrote:
En la calle Douai

If you mean there is a shop in "rue de Douai", it's wrong. It closed down a few years ago, and it was quite shitty. But if you're looking for guitar, bass, drums, home studios (etc.) shops, this street is for you.
kängnäve

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't R'n'R Voltage still exist? I'm pretty sure it does, and it's the only metal record store in Paris. Decent vinyl selection, but pricey...

I lived in Paris for a couple of years in the early 90s and I did find A LOT of great/rare records there... but those were the pre-Ebay days of course, a totally different era for record shopping. Last time I went record shopping in Paris (about two years ago) I hit about 20 stores in a day, and found maybe ONE record! (and I don't listen to metal only...) It's safe to say that Ebay has had a pretty negative impact on record stores in Paris.

Some stores you may want to check out, depending on your musical tastes, but most of these have metal sections:

R'n'R Voltage (metal)
Gibert (good metal selection)
Plus De Bruit (second hand)
Born Bad (punk, HC, garage...)
Le Silence de la Rue (mostly punk-ish stuff?)
Parallèles (second hand)
Crocodisc (second hand)
Jussieu Music (don't know if it still exists but I used to find lots of great metal CDs there)

...there's more.

As mentioned above, it all depends on what you're looking for. There's quite a lot of random second hand stores all over the city... maybe check out the flea market in Clignancourt on the weekends too...
Ykh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kängnäve wrote:
R'n'R Voltage (metal)
Gibert (good metal selection)
Plus De Bruit (second hand)
Born Bad (punk, HC, garage...)
Le Silence de la Rue (mostly punk-ish stuff?)
Parallèles (second hand)
Crocodisc (second hand)
Jussieu Music (don't know if it still exists but I used to find lots of great metal CDs there)

RnR Voltage is ok, but nothing outstanding in my opinion. Jussieu music, I never found anything special there, a few CDs, that's all. Same goes for Gibert. Crocodisc is quite ok for NON-metal vinyls.

Like I said, real metal shops are pretty much inexistant in Paris.
Doomraiser

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ykh wrote:
Hahaha, there's N-O-T-H-I-N-G. There used to be a shop called Dysphorie (mostly CDs, almost no vinyls), but it went out of business in april last year. I never ever scored any rare vinyl in Paris (I'm originally from there). When it comes to real metal shops and pubs, this city is absolutely useless.

Doomraiser wrote:
En la calle Douai

If you mean there is a shop in "rue de Douai", it's wrong. It closed down a few years ago, and it was quite shitty. But if you're looking for guitar, bass, drums, home studios (etc.) shops, this street is for you.
Ahps, OK. It´s been quite a few years since my last visit there, but my post said more or less the same than yours (sorry for write it in spanish), nothing good at all and expensive. Anyway, there are plenty of things to do/visit/whatever in Paris, non related to metal.
Haagenti

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ykh wrote:

Really? sory for dysphorie because I found many good lps and cds in there 2 years ago. It was great metal shop I think

In juisseau music, I found nothing. there was no special metal record in there.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hahaha, there's N-O-T-H-I-N-G.

Yeah, Ykh is unfortunately right: I've been in Paris yesterday and I've just found some generic records -nothing of really amazing.
In my opinion, the most interesting shop in Paris is now Gibert (some good 2nd hand stuff). The others stores are smaller than ever. Time has changed...
Goab

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your helpful comments and information. I don't know if I'll finally spend some of my very limited spare time seeking through record stores if the possibility of scoring some decent LPs isn't worth the effort at all.

Doomraiser, thanx for encouraging me to do some tourism instead of concentrating on vinyl hunting exclusively. I already know Paris, a just a little bit to be more precise and I totally agree with you that such a city has lots of interesting places to visit. So you speak Spanish, where are you from?
Doomraiser

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goab wrote:
Doomraiser, thanx for encouraging me to do some tourism instead of concentrating on vinyl hunting exclusively. I already know Paris, a just a little bit to be more precise and I totally agree with you that such a city has lots of interesting places to visit. So you speak Spanish, where are you from?
Desde luego, y si me lo permites te recomiendo (si no los has visitado) los museos Rodin, Carnavalet, Orsay y por supuesto el Louvre. También el museo Dadá si te interesa este movimiento, el Barrio de Montmartre, el Cementerio Père Lachaise, Versalles, las catacumbas, etc. etc. tengo que volver este verano heh. Soy de Coruña.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: