P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

question about zine prices
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mindlock

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: question about zine prices Reply with quote

why are zine prices so high? $5 for a xeroxed zine (for a zine that says its .50 on the cover, like the morbid tales first issue) and that's the cheapest price in the nwn distro. also, why is it necessary to buy an lp along with the oversized zines? if you have to put them in an lp sized box, can't you just send them in the lp box without the record? honestly, i don't even care if the magazine gets bent or folded, i just want to read it, not preserve it in a frame or something like that.
NWN PROD

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because they have to get sent here and someone has to pay postage?

Quote:
why is it necessary to buy an lp along with the oversized zines? if you have to put them in an lp sized box, can't you just send them in the lp box without the record?

Because the box to send the zine in would add a lot of weight and would not be worth the extra postage unless you buy at least one LP.

Web: nwnprod.com

NWN carries all IBP releases.
IBP carries all NWN releases.

Straxus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be an alternative to send magazines just in a clear plastic bag, or paper bag office size, from time to time I receive shopping-catalogs in that way in my house...

But the customer must be awared that international transpor can damage a bit the xine, nothing drastic, but postage will be really cheaper...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: question about zine prices Reply with quote

mindlock wrote:
why are zine prices so high? $5 for a xeroxed zine (for a zine that says its .50 on the cover, like the morbid tales first issue) and that's the cheapest price in the nwn distro. also, why is it necessary to buy an lp along with the oversized zines? if you have to put them in an lp sized box, can't you just send them in the lp box without the record? honestly, i don't even care if the magazine gets bent or folded, i just want to read it, not preserve it in a frame or something like that.

Zine prices are high because printing prices are high. It cost me roughly $2.25 to print each copy of GoTG #4 (@ 128 pages, however), and figure in postage/packing (about another $2 or more in the USA) the price can become very steep.
Astaroth

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even xeroxes cost money, so do printing covers, staples and even folding.

So does postage.

Sell a zine for $5 and you still lose money because at the end of the day you'll never sell every copy. You'll trade more.

End of story.
avrlabel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.Postage is fucking big.
Nekrokunt_Usurper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been wanting to put out a zine for several years but to be honest I just haven't managed to get the money together for such an endeavor as of yet. Hope I can start work soon.
mindlock

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NWN PROD wrote:
Because the box to send the zine in would add a lot of weight and would not be worth the extra postage unless you buy at least one LP.

but like i said, i don't care if you have to bend the zine to fit into smaller sized packaging. and if it's really that much of a problem that you absolutely have to put it into an lp sized box, it's only at my cost, not yours. you are not paying the postage.
NWN PROD

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but like i said, i don't care if you have to bend the zine to fit into smaller sized packaging. and if it's really that much of a problem that you absolutely have to put it into an lp sized box, it's only at my cost, not yours. you are not paying the postage

The problem is that not everyone thinks like you. If you have a problem with my prices then you can order elsewhere.

Web: nwnprod.com

NWN carries all IBP releases.
IBP carries all NWN releases.

IntoTheAbyss

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest problem for zine is the postage, especially the thick zines. If people still argue about the prices are too high they should do a thick zine and try to sell it at $5 postpaid and they shall know how "cheap" is the postage.....Haha!!!!

Most xeroxed zines limited to below 1000 copies unless you made printed zine with gloosy paper they often pressed above 1000 copies so the prices are reduced for each copy which you can sell it for $5 and still can make extra cash of it. But the whole cost (of pro-printed printing) is insane!!!!

If you see flyers of good zine don't hesitate to order it! It's the best thing and tradition of the ancient undeground! If you're still arguing about the higher prices, shut your mouth and you should sit all day reading e-zine on the internet!!!!

Thank you!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm. Are you able to just order a load of zines instead of an LP?
Hellfire Commando

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course it's the shipping! To send ONE 'zine to Europe/non US or Canada countries, it costs 6,50$ from Canada... to send five, it costs 28$. It's fucking expensive! Also, the Xerox is quite expensive as well - especially when you print in small quatities. My first 'zine (Morbid Tales) is cheap because I used to have 2 cents/side deal... now the cheapest I can find it 5 cents/side. It makes a huge difference. It still is cheap though - and if you lived in Canada and you'd know me, it would cost waaay cheaper.

By the way - COOL! Yosuke! I'm happy you finally put up those 'zines. I have no #5 issues left, so I'll redirect everyone to your site.

ps. Canadian shipping rates are here, if you guys feel like you've been ripped off:

http://www.canadapost.ca/personal/rates/default-e.asp
huja

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've been wanting to buy some zines, just never sure which to get it. what are ones to look for?
avrlabel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy every xeroxed shit that you find. Smile Only printed zines are real.
IntoTheAbyss

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad thing about Morbid Tales zine is that zine had too many "myGAYspace" bands featured which are unknown and came out of nowhere. There are less and less demo flyers these days....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: