P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

One of the best record stores - going out of business
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Endless Morbidity

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: One of the best record stores - going out of business Reply with quote

I don't know how many among you have had the chance to visit this shop, but they're a Metal landmark. I was lucky enough to have grown up in Valley Stream and shopped there from the time I was 9 years old. I bought my first album there, "Kill 'Em All" on tape and last time I was there back in October, I picked up tons of CD's of Iron Angel, Onslaught, Necronomicon and Acid.

Just last month I was having a conversation about how they out lasted every other mom and pop shop and that they would never go out of business. Needless to say, this comes as a really big shock to me.

Well, I'm going to make it a priority to get my ass down there and buy up as much as I can.

http://www.slippeddiscrecords.com/SDRmainPage.htm

SLIPPED DISC 80's PHOTO GALLERY
http://www.getthrashed.com/media/slipped-disc.html

SLIPPED DISC YOUTUBE VIDEO (kind of sucks)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Qfos6l1iedA
IronBloodBlasphemy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they actually lost their lease. I was there about two weeks ago. At that time, Mike wasn't sure if he was going to relocate in March when the store is supposed to close. So the end may not be here for good, but that store will always rule just for its history alone. So many killer bands did in store signings, etc. I've been going there basically since it opened.
Beelzebubba

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember ordering Sarcofago's "INRI" and "Rotting" LPs from Slipped Disc back in the day. They were one of the few places in the USA where you could find Cogumelo releases back then. I hate to hear they're closing their doors. Crying or Very sad
Ichor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw the photos... that place must be as vintage as hell!
Nekrokunt_Usurper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though I have never been to California this is indeed sad news.

To be honest when people want 'metal' these days, why go to independent stores when you have malls. Punch of poser fuckwits!!!

There was a pretty good store here once that stocked lots of cool music such as early Slayer, Usurper, Poison Idea, Venom, Bathory etc and no-one would go there as it didn't stock these people's stupid trendy shit so it had to close down.
peterott

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

same happened in Gothenburg and partly Stockholm. Some of the best second hand record shops closed down. Especially sad for Gothenburg, two of the best I ever visited clsoed down.

And forget about the crappy second hand record shops in my area. They only sell shit in their shops, while the good stuff they only sel lon ebay, or one of the sellers behind the desk takes it for his own collection.
CR99

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the same that released the 2nd ARC single?
IronBloodBlasphemy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nekrokunt_Usurper wrote:

the store is in Long Island, NY
peterott

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronBloodBlasphemy wrote:
Nekrokunt_Usurper wrote:

the store is in Long Island, NY

due to my work I had to fly over to New Jersey in 2002. And after one week of work I had exactly 3 hours left for visiting New York (basically only Manhatten due to the bus-connection between Penn Station and New Ark airport). I even found one CD-store close to the Times Square but there was only overpriced "non-second-hand"-crap. Damn. I would have loved to spent more time in the complete NY/NJ area for recordhunting.
IronBloodBlasphemy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't worry Peter, most places worth a damn have long been plundered.
duff138

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use to buy, through mailorder from a place called Slipped disc, when I was younger. I wonder if it was the same place.
Endless Morbidity

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I know about it being due to the loss of their lease. The fact that they're selling everything at clearance price and even selling off the store fixtures, tells me Mike decided against relocating though. Slipped Disc anywhere else other than Rockaway Ave. would feel really weird.

They survived for over 20+ years thanks to specializing in Metal and carrying items other stores don't. That was their strength. Most mom & pop shops go under because they think selling what the masses want is the way to go, oblivious to the fact those people either download their music or buy it at chain stores.

I personally enjoy buying from shops, but I doubt I need to waste time explaining why. Digging through stuff and never really knowing what you're going to pull out and take home that day is a feeling I'm sure many here can relate to. I have no problem paying more for some stuff at a shop that I could get much cheaper from a distro either.

As for NY and Record Shops? NYC is pretty useless, unless you like high priced jazz LP's and crap from the 60's. Most of the shops here suck.

One place I like on Long Island, is Mr. Cheapo, the Mineola location. Last time I was there I got an Osmose pressing of "Worship Him" on CD for $5.00!
gravesnatcher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="CR99"]Is this the same that released the 2nd ARC single?[/quote]

No

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is depressing.

For once, I wish I was still on Long Island so I could rummage through the place for the afternoon. A lot of the discs were generally shelved at a slightly higher price than what you could find online today, but considering how much OOP material was still tucked away, it was well worth it. Great to actually paw through some records on the weekend and Mike would almost routinely knock off 10-20 dollars on a large buy. Plus there's still a shiton of old VHS and thrash-death metal cassettes - Bolt Thrower, Sacrifice, Cemetary - still waiting to be discovered.

Fuckin shame.

CD Island is another place on LI that serves as a depository for peoples old Thrash and Death Metal albums from time ot time.
Endless Morbidity

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is CD Island? In Rockville Center? I was there not long ago and thought they sucked.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: