P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Is SLAYER MAG r.i.p?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IntoTheAbyss

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Is SLAYER MAG r.i.p? Reply with quote

A 7"EP called "Tribute to Slayer MAG" was unleased sometime ago, is it becuase the mag itself is finally laid to rest?

I heard that Metalion will release a "Blood Fire Death" issue, but this is the news I heard for 2 years already...

So anyone who still in touch with Metalion should let update what's up with SLAYER MAG????
NWN PROD

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes pretty much RIP unless Metalion decides to come back to life.

Web: nwnprod.com

NWN carries all IBP releases.
IBP carries all NWN releases.

Endless Morbidity

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things are pretty damn uninspiring these days, so I can understand his lack of interest. Especially in Norway!

What is there to write about? You can't make a thick 'zine these days. There is just not enough interesting bands that deserve attention and things have really taken a nose dive more than ever in the last few years.

Though Slayer Mag pretty much focused mainly on already well-established acts that actually meant something, old dogs that stood the test of time. He did feature some crap from time-to-time, like Marilyn Manson in #11 and way too much Mortis and other "Norsecore".

Personally, I always liked Slayer Mag for the spirit it carried. Metalion really isn't the best writer. Naturally, the earlier issues were the best.
IntoTheAbyss

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, he kinda sick of the present Metal scene. He even released an issue with "FUKK METAL" as the title. Enough said...

That man (Metalion) was one of the great writer/supporter of the ancient underground world. When I was still schooling, his zine name was the ultimate! I'm glad that kids todays don't know too much about its existence than when I was a kid in the 80's. Haha!!!!

His early issues KILL!!! Becuase there was the days of demo bands that are more excellent than band's that had albums at that time. I'm speaking of the demo days of MORBID ANGEL, NECROVORE, NIHILIST, DR. SHRINKER, MAYHEM, ASPHYX, etc...

Today the scene is overcrowded....
The_Elite

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing I liked about Slayer (and I only have a couple of issues) is the fact he put what he wanted in the magazine- fuck trends, fuck popularity, but also fuck off anyone who thought he was 'selling out' or whatever- Slayer was for Metalion first and foremost, which is kinda how things should be rather than just trying to fill it with 'cool' bands.
deathster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the style Slayer Mag had in 80s and in 90s is totally different. In 80s it was about extreme sounds, more easy going and humoristic...in 90s Mr. Metallion attitude turned more nasty and close-minded (which is not good) (this conclusion is made reading magazine, I do not know him personally). I am sure in private life Mr. Metallion is still easy going.
Slayer Mag. was/is definately legendary mag! Receipt! Ups...Respect!
deathster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IntoTheAbyss wrote:

These slogans were used already in 1990!
kängnäve

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yosuke, what about the SLAYER book you were supposed to release at some point? (reprinting the first 10 or so issues)... Is this still happening?
IntoTheAbyss

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get Metalion back to release that "Blood Fire Death" 20th issue! The scene still need SLAYER MAG!!!! And Arne Barbb... Laughing
Azmoth

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a project in France to print some kind of best of Slayer Mag, by translating it (into french of course) and reworking the lay-out so that it fits...
The project seems to be put on ice or stopped, thanks Satan.
Invictus Productions

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as Slayer magazine has its place in Metal history I really think that if Jon is to do another issue he needs to make it a little more relevant and interesting. Some of the bands featured in the issues since #10 have been dire and some of the questions are pretty weak. The review section was utterly pointless as well.

The book edition of the old issues would be great. I have some earlier issues and they're a lot more interesting!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deathster wrote:
IntoTheAbyss wrote:

Yeah, I was thinking the same. The same complaints people have today, they were having then. But things today are obviously worse and I'm sure those who were around in those times can see it. Actually, the fact Isten is now paper thin and we're wondering if they'll ever be a new issue of Slayer Mag pretty much proves it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not surprised the slightest bit if he really decided to quit, he had been talking about it since issue #13 at least. For the type of musical taste Metalion is known for, it has become a task to find suitable bands for interviews/reviews or whatever + it takes a lot of time and dedication, which for some reason might not always be there when you're in your early forties.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deathster wrote:
IntoTheAbyss wrote:

True, but the bands we looked upon as 'mediocre' in the early 90ies turn out to be legendary if compared to Satanic Warmaster and those other worthless 'heroes' of today. So I doubt Metalion is annoyed by the high number of crappy bands around, he's more concerned with the lack of good ones imho.
DESECRATOR777

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

funny enough he comes to nyc alot, i havent spoken to him in many years ...i think he is just burnt out on metal in general.
20 years is enough in terms of a zine. so let it rest in hell and appreciate the old issues.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: