P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Bye Bye Southern Lord Forums...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Elite

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That forum/label is the reason black metal prices went through the roof on ebay. Pretentious is the politest term I can think of.
thrashbeast

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't frequent the forum too often, but every time I was there, it seems like the majority of the threads centered around how bad their mailorder service was, how certain items people ordered where always fucked when they received them in the mail, how Greg was only in the business to rip people off, how much Southern Lord rarities sold for on eBay, etc.

What really got me about that place was the attitude people had towards Greg and Southern Lord in general. Every time something new came out, people would bitch about the prices, bitch about the packaging, whine about this, whine about that. This was all from their so-called "fans", too. People that had frequented that place for a long time (I assumed based on their post counts). Really, I can't blame them for shutting it down.

Anyway, the doom discussion there was seriously declining. When it comes to anything in that genre, I stick to the doom-metal forums now.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting that they just pulled the plug; as already stated, there were trades and everything still in progress

wonder why
brown growth

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thrashbeast wrote:

Anyway, the doom discussion there was seriously declining. When it comes to anything in that genre, I stick to the doom-metal forums now.

I hate the doom-metal forums. The majority of the discussion on there is about shitty bedroom "funeral doom" projects, homo-erotic goth shit and whining about people who only like traditional doom. Just a bunch of angsty whiners who have a true love for the mediocre.
carrioncrow

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True Doom lives here: http://www.hellridemusic.com/index.php
carrioncrow

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That forum/label is the reason black metal prices went through the roof on ebay. Pretentious is the politest term I can think of...

It is ridiculous to name Southern Lord and it's forums as the main culprit of this phenomena...
duff138

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carrioncrow wrote:
Quote:
That forum/label is the reason black metal prices went through the roof on ebay. Pretentious is the politest term I can think of...

It is ridiculous to name Southern Lord and it's forums as the main culprit of this phenomena...

agreed. I'd love to see something to even suggest that there's some truth behind that.
Endless Morbidity

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck Southern Lord with a rubber dick. I hate this label and the comb-over hair cut, bearded queers who buy up their bullshit releases.

Isn't distributing Ajna/NED titles enough? Do you have to bite off more than you can chew and release the second-rate clone crap too? How about another bunch of cocksuckers from Portland trying to distort Black Metal with another gay gimmick?

Oh well. I'm going to blast "The Oath of Black Blood" and fantasize about pushing Stephen O' Malley off a cliff now.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only recently joined SL to sell some shit (it was good for that), kind of fucking weird they just closed it for no reason really... I am sure they could afford to keep it up if they want to...
The_Elite

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endless Morbidity wrote:

Oh well. I'm going to blast "The Oath of Black Blood" and fantasize about pushing Stephen O' Malley off a cliff now.

We can but dream.

Look at the fact that Southern Lord started as a fairly good Doom label (7" collector series and all that) and has mutated into a cash cow peddling third rate 'black metal influenced' music to people who actually think Xasthur are an important black metal band, and who think going to a Sunn 0))) gig and making their hand into a claw equates to being into underground black metal. I can tell you for a fact some of the characters who used to post there used to bang on about how they bought such and such a metal/ black metal record yet whenever that band may have been in town they were NEVER seen at the shows.

Sure, everyone starts somewhere, and maybe I'm just a cynical twat, but nothing irks me more than trend hopping.
Endless Morbidity

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...

From Southern Lord's Wolves in the Throne Room bio:

"If you listen to Black Metal, but you dont know what phase the moon is in, or what wild flowers are blooming than you have failed."

Somebody, please stab these guys.

I think I can honestly say there is not one Southern Lord release I ever liked.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen O'Malley has nothing to do with Southern Lord besides being in some of the bands the label put out and designing some of the album art. He's living in France and is associating with the noise/power electronics and fine arts crowd. Southern Lord has always been Greg Anderson's label, and his label alone.
markos

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I think I can honestly say there is not one Southern Lord release I ever liked."

i can think of only one. That Thrones DLP, but that was mostly a comp of stuff that came out on OTHER shitty labels, ha.
Nekrokunt_Usurper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing good on Southern Lord. I'm not a fan but I beg to differ!:

Pentagram
Place of Skulls
Saint Vitus

The best bands on the label.
shadowNINE

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All forums seem to have a level of lameness and some ridiculousness. Often they are good for some things as well. Mostly, I did some trading and checked on a gigs and news at SL. It wasn't too bad, but I can see why a lot of people didn't like it, and why it was shut down. Hopefully DFFD will do better.

As for the label's releases...I think there are some good ones. Especially the Burning Witch and Khanate releases. But surely that is...not for everyone. Haha.

I think doom-metal.com actually has a really good forum. It's not without the abovementioned (and it would probably be unreasonable to expect that), but there are quite a few good folks on it, and there is some interesting news and discussion there. And so on.

In many cases (and this doesn't just apply to forums), what one gets out of something, and the way they feel about it, seems to depend, to a good extent, on what they put their energy into focusing on.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: