P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Vinyl sleeve and storage recommendations
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gordeth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Vinyl sleeve and storage recommendations Reply with quote

A bunch of used LPs were given to me recently and they're in pretty good shape but some of the inner sleeves are splitting and the outer jackets are showing some wear. So, I'd like to get some inner and outer sleeves to reduce further damage. Do you guys have any in particular that you have experience with and can recommend? I've been looking around online and it's hard to determine which are best.

I'm also wondering if you guys store your records inside or outside of their jackets. I've been storing them inside since that's how they're meant to be stored and it provides an extra layer of protection from dust and damage to the record itself. I also feel like it might help to prevent warping. But, of course, the trade-off is increased wear on the jacket. I'm curious to know what you guys do.
bearsbearsbears

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep my records outside the jacket just for convenience sake. I figure it'd also reduce general wear in the long run since I don't have to pull the jackets out and handle them everytime I want to throw something on. I've also heard before that it reduces ringwear in the long term too, but can't confirm that through any means really...

As for inner sleeves you can't go wrong with MoFis: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001LQSFKY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_HlN1zbNXRXPDP.
Maybe a bit expensive but they're high quality.

Don't really have a preference for outers, so I'm interested to see what folks say here.

Check out my sale-thread HERE!
Brutalicon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had to buy inner sleeves, I've only ever needed a few here and there and the local store will give me a few when I buy something else.

I keep my LPs in the jacket, if they get a little worn, fuck it. Even though, I am pretty careful with everything. I've only ever bent or ripped something (rarely) when I'm playing music and I'm way to drunk to be fiddling around with anything.
VanHammersly

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i put all my stuff in these outers
https://www.sleevecityusa.com/ultimate-outer-5-0-record-sleeve-p/9380.htm

kinda pricey, but they don't get all foggy over time like most mylar sleeves, and they're really rigid.
MezzoForte

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I leave most of my records outside their jackets.
TotalKhaos

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they are a bunch of used LP and not really high end precious records, get a pack of the white inner sleeves (pretty cheap on Amazon). I put all of the records that come with printed inner sleeves/lyrics sleeves in a separate inner sleeve so the printed one doesn't split. Or if they ARE your precious expensive rare records, you can go for the static free plastic inner sleeves. But it gets costly.
Death Kvlt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bags unlimited

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/category/57/audio
tormentedFist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep my records outside their jackets, mostly for convenience, but also to reduce ring wear (given that the "rumor" is true, that is). Also store the vinyl in inner covers with plastic lining.

Plastic sleeves: https://protected.de/en/lp-protective-sleeves-made-from-pe-1000

Inner sleeves: https://protected.de/en/lp-inner-covers-black-deluxe-1005

Only drawback I can think of with this solution is that it consumes more space than actually needed, but as of now space ain't a problem for my part. And it doesn't cost _that_ much. Just order a bulk with some friends to save on shipping and you can be set for life if you spend Ä200-Ä300.
Trade/want list: http://nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=890122#890122
AngleOffDeeth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second for those MoFi inner sleeves. Great quality.

I like the resealable outer sleeves personally. These are what I use.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B1WFFTW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've read a lot of arguments for and against LPs in/out of jackets. From what I've gathered, there's no right or wrong answer. I prefer to keep my records in the jacket, because any extra protection for the music itself is important. Others prefer to house them outside so their jackets remain pristine and reduce normal wear. Honestly, if you're the kind of person who is contemplating these things, I would assume that you are going to be careful, and any minor wear will be extremely minimal.

From my understanding, ringwear comes from having them too tight or not sitting vertically on the shelf.
funeral-records

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ringwear happens from storing a bunch of records way too tightly or from stacking them vertically.

Placing the record outside of the sleeve will inevitably cause ringwear to the record behind it just as well..

Just don't store tightly. I also place lyric inserts in between the record and the front cover on the inside as a buffer.

Resealable sleeves are also good if you're worried about dust and shit. And only MoFi sleeves are real.
IXTAB
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep them outside of the jacket, mostly for convenience, but I'm starting to question that practice. I agree that ringwear comes mostly from having them packed too tightly against each other. I'm starting to think that all the sliding of the record/inner sleeve on the outside of the jacket (between jacket and poly sleeve) may actually cause more damage to the jacket over time than whatever additional ringwear might occur from having the record inside the jacket.
3. Content related to Necroytardonic Records
4. Memes
5. Ebonics

e-mail ixtab[at]nwnprod[dot]com regarding forum account activation or problems
SadisticChris

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use these inner sleeves from Sleeve City (US store).
http://www.sleevecityusa.com/diskeeper-ultimate-audiophile-inner-sleeve-p/312lps.htm
I know they are a bit over kill, but at this point I donít see myself using anything else anytime soon. I have used the MoFi sleeves before, but they always felt a little to flimsy for me. These is nothing wrong with them they are basically the industry standard for aftermarket sleeves and the quality is topnotch. I just personally like the Diskeeper Ultimate ones more.

I also keep my 7Ē in these sleeves as well.
http://www.sleevecityusa.com/7-Inch-Anti-Static-45-Inner-Sleeve-100-Pack-p/9239.htm

As for the outer sleeve I use mostly use the polyethylene kind in 3-4mils thick (4 preferred). Anything less than 3mills feels like the old disposable grocery bags stores use to give out before the ban here is California. Anything more than 4mils just feels like they are taking up more space than they should. I keep the LPís inside the cover so that I can see the album cover and the track listing with ease. Except for gatefolds, with gatefolds Iíll usually keep the LP in between the fold of the cover.
gordeth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys. I'll definitely pick up some of those MoFi inner sleeves

VanHammersly wrote:
i put all my stuff in these outers
https://www.sleevecityusa.com/ultimate-outer-5-0-record-sleeve-p/9380.htm

kinda pricey, but they don't get all foggy over time like most mylar sleeves, and they're really rigid.

These look good. I was going to ask if they fit double LPs but then I watched the video and it answered my question.

VanHammersly wrote:
I like the resealable outer sleeves personally. These are what I use.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B1WFFTW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the rec but I don't want to deal with adhesive.

In regards to ring wear, is it even a concern if the jackets are inside a sleeve? The wear comes from the outer covers rubbing against each other, right?
snakenuts

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wouldnt the best possible way to store them be to keep the vinyl itself inside a separate box, something like a DJ would use, with labelled inner jackets, and then keeping the jackets by themselves on the shelves, free from worry about ring wear and tight packing?

It's a stupid idea, really, but seems like the only way to really avoid any problems concerned in this thread.

Quote: Funeral-records - "not to store records vertically"
Stacking them vertically is one of the first rules of storing records, isn't it?
AngleOffDeeth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snakenuts wrote:
wouldnt the best possible way to store them be to keep the vinyl itself inside a separate box, something like a DJ would use, with labelled inner jackets, and then keeping the jackets by themselves on the shelves, free from worry about ring wear and tight packing?

It's a stupid idea, really, but seems like the only way to really avoid any problems concerned in this thread.

Quote: Funeral-records - "not to store records vertically"
Stacking them vertically is one of the first rules of storing records, isn't it?

Stacking them vertically is not the same as storing them vertically. He means don't lay them horizontal, but stacked on top of eCh other.

And yeah, your method your describing is some people's preferred way of doing things. However, it's really a bit overkill unless you your trying to preserve really old records.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: