P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Kelly Johnson of Girlschool RIP.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gravesnatcher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Kelly Johnson of Girlschool RIP. Reply with quote

Kelly Johnson
Girlschool guitarist and singer
Published: 17 July 2007

Kelly Johnson, guitarist, singer and songwriter: born London 20 June 1958; died London 15 July 2007.

Girlschool, the first British all-female rock band of note, were part of the new wave of heavy metal in the late 1970s that spawned Def Leppard, Iron Maiden and Saxon. The group formed in 1978 when Kelly Johnson, singer and lead guitarist, and the drummer Denise Dufort joined forces with Kim McAuliffe (rhythm guitar and vocals) and Di "Enid" Williams (bass, vocals). With their tight playing and no-nonsense attitude, Girlschool developed a strong following in the UK and Europe.

They also forged a strong friendship with Motorhead, and their three support slots with the heavy metal band led to them being signed by Bronze Records in 1979. The partnership with Motorhead culminated in the St Valentine's Day Massacre EP, on which the two bands - billed as Headgirl - teamed up to cover each other's songs, "Emergency" and "Bomber", and to record a version of "Please Don't Touch", the 1959 hit by Johnny Kidd and the Pirates, with Johnson and Motorhead's Lemmy Kilmister on vocals. In February 1981, the St Valentine's Day Massacre EP reached the Top Five in the UK and Headgirl appeared on Top Of The Pops.

Their enhanced profile helped Girlschool secure a similar chart position for Hit and Run, their second album released two months later. Johnson co-wrote most of the group's original material with McAuliffe, including the singles "Hit And Run" and "C'mon Let's Go" and sang lead on both, as well as on Girlschool's version of T-Rex's "20th Century Boy" issued in 1983. After the release of Play Dirty, their fourth album, produced by Noddy Holder and Jim Lea of Slade in 1984, Johnson left the band and moved to the US but returned to Britain when the band reformed in the 1990s.

Johnson was only 19 when she joined Girlschool. The group took their name from the fact that McAuliffe and Williams had formed their previous band, Painted Lady, while still at school in south London.

Girlschool didn't need anyone to tell them what to do. Taking their inspiration from the Runaways (the all-girl rock group assembled in Los Angeles by Kim Fowley in 1975), they wore leather jackets, had a healthy DIY punk attitude, and issued their début single, 'Take It All Away', on City Records, in December 1978, the year before Motorhead arranged for Gerry Bron, the man behind Bronze Records, to see the band. "I went to an early rehearsal and was surprised how well Girlschool played their instruments. How terribly chauvinistic of me," Bron later recalled.

None of them were particularly good looking, although from a distance Kelly Johnson looked like that Charlie's Angels' actress, Farrah Fawcett. But there was something about them.

After signing with Bronze Records, the band supported not only Motorhead, but also Uriah Heep and Black Sabbath, holding their own in front of fans of the established hard rock bands. Their first single for Bronze, a cover of the Gun's "Race With The Devil", made the Top 50 and their début album, Demolition, spent more than two months in the British charts in 1980.

Girlschool's popularity peaked in 1981, when they headlined a British tour as well as the Reading Festival, and their first two albums went gold in Canada. Subsequent attempts to crack the lucrative US market, however, led to disillusion within the ranks. In 1983, the bassist Gil Weston replaced Williams in time to record Screaming Blue Murder, the group's third album, but Johnson quit the following year.

Attempts at a solo career in the US floundered, as did an attempt to form a group with the guitarist Kathy Valentine, and Johnson took up sign language and worked with the deaf. She rejoined Girlschool in 1993 but cancer forced her to stop playing in 2000 after recording the album Not That Innocent: 21st Anniversary.

Pierre Perrone
SAD FUCKING NEWS!Girlschool were awesome!!!
Goab

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I RISE MY GLASS AND MY HORNS ON HER HONOUR! A gal able to stand face to face with the classical Motorhead line-up on a stage and party to death with them, deserve my full respect.
quietus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goab wrote:
I RISE MY GLASS AND MY HORNS ON HER HONOUR! A gal able to stand face to face with the classical Motorhead line-up on a stage and party to death with them, deserve my full respect.

Fucking seconded......all hail
Nocturnal Deathstrike

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad news. I just bought a live CD which once was recorded by a radio station and it really shows what a great live band they must have been !
Also that MOTÖRHEAD/GIRLSCHOOL Split must be one of the coolest split releases ever !

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bad news... for me is like a tragedy.
I have begun to listen metal with Hit & Run and Demolition.

RIP.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: