P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Question for labels- trading
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Question for labels- trading Reply with quote

With slow boat gone and the price for mail services sky rocketing I'm curious how labels have coped with this when it comes to trading their releases with overseas contacts. For instance, 3 LPs now cost about $30 to send from the USA to Europe. At that price it's somewhat unrealistic to expect compensation for the lose on shipping when reselling the item(s) you traded for.
Azmoth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no trades below 5 or 8 copies ?

that's what some labels do. I remember a german label who wanted to trade from 6 copies because of weight... you have to make your calculation now...
IntoTheAbyss

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the norm of the underground. You lose money on postage, got rip off, stolen packages etc.

I have spent thousands just for postage for over the decade Laughing .Even the staffs at the post office wondered what "business" I'm doing! Sometime people had to queue long at my back becuase of my parcels. Haha...

Every year the postage increase. Sometime they blame it to the oil prices! What the fuck!
Invictus Productions

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Question for labels- trading Reply with quote

Wilhelm wrote:
With slow boat gone and the price for mail services sky rocketing I'm curious how labels have coped with this when it comes to trading their releases with overseas contacts. For instance, 3 LPs now cost about $30 to send from the USA to Europe. At that price it's somewhat unrealistic to expect compensation for the lose on shipping when reselling the item(s) you traded for.

This is why I quit printing vinyl. It just became a too much of a financial burden to trade. I sent 10 x 10" to the USA a good while back & it cost me 52 to mail them. That's just over 5 extra added onto the cost of a 10" through posting. That's insane. The post office say they're losing out because of electronic mail. I fail to see how that's the case when people have to send larger packages that weigh more & ultimately cost a lot more.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IntoTheAbyss wrote:
Every year the postage increase. Sometime they blame it to the oil prices! What the fuck!

Of course it's the oil prices. All those mail trucks and freight planes are probably expensive to fill up.
tom245

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In england, it's only 70p extra to send something recorded delivery regardless of the size/weight. I don't know what it's like in other countries but if labels state that they have minimum orders for wholesale and bulk trading then they can do this safely and relatively cheap.
throneofmight

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe you guys should move your businesses overhere Very Happy ...in central america the distros/labels can't complain because the postage costs are really cheap compared to US/EU
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
huja

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

throneofmight wrote:
maybe you guys should move your businesses overhere Very Happy ...in central america the distros/labels can't complain because the postage costs are really cheap compared to US/EU

isn't the postal service really bad though?
throneofmight

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well...at least in my country is lightning fast & reliable...still i prefer to register all my packages...it is just 1$ to register any package so is better to be on the safer side...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
NWN PROD

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually try to maximize the weight limit to cut down on per unit postage cost.

Web: nwnprod.com

NWN carries all IBP releases.
IBP carries all NWN releases.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about international flat rate boxes? I think it's $37 to mail anywhere in the world, but the size of them??? What are they, similar in dimension to the largest standard USPS priority box or something?
Shadow Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have problems trying to find labels that can handle trades as big as I want to make.

It's best to just trade 50 CDs or 50 LPs at a time or you're not making any headway.

If I pressed an LP in 500 copies...
For me it would be simple if I just had 8 people I can trade 50 LPs (400 LPs that would add up to) with, then sell the last 100 in my store.

But I always have to settle for weak trades most of the time....
NWN PROD

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should hit up other US labels like Hells Headbangers for bigger trades.

Web: nwnprod.com

NWN carries all IBP releases.
IBP carries all NWN releases.

Shadow Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NWN PROD wrote:

I tried, but he does small trades too. + 1/2 the time doesn't return my emails....

For instance, I'm getting 200 of the new MANILLA ROAD as soon as it comes out, being sent EXPRESS MAIL (3 days)...

And I'll probably owe them like 200 IRONSWORD or whatever I have at the time....

Like that MORTUARY DRAPE LP that just came out... I could have used 50 of those, but I don't think the label can take 50 HOUR OF 13.... but I'm still waiting on the ZEMIAL picture disc jackets because the ones sent got split on the spine because the LP was packed inside the jacket upon arrival....

I think overall it's better with bigger trades because even if some stuff gets damaged on the way over there might me some in good condition to sell right away until the other stuff gets fixed. If you trade small... these small details and problems that happen become costly....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadow Kingdom wrote:
NWN PROD wrote:

I tried, but he does small trades too. + 1/2 the time doesn't return my emails....

For instance, I'm getting 200 of the new MANILLA ROAD as soon as it comes out, being sent EXPRESS MAIL (3 days)...

And I'll probably owe them like 200 IRONSWORD or whatever I have at the time....

Like that MORTUARY DRAPE LP that just came out... I could have used 50 of those, but I don't think the label can take 50 HOUR OF 13.... but I'm still waiting on the ZEMIAL picture disc jackets because the ones sent got split on the spine because the LP was packed inside the jacket upon arrival....

I think overall it's better with bigger trades because even if some stuff gets damaged on the way over there might me some in good condition to sell right away until the other stuff gets fixed. If you trade small... these small details and problems that happen become costly....

I tend to agree + I would suggest the following:

-ALWAYS send with proof of delivery / confirmation / tracking etc... and request the same from the other end.

-PACK EVERYTHING SECURE. Packages, especially larger ones, get the most abuse in overseas transit. I received a pack once wrapped in Christmas paper (I kid thee not) from Germany, but miraculously, everything arrived in one piece.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: