P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

CD format & aesthetics
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: CD format & aesthetics Reply with quote

(Posted elsewhere) I remember a decade ago when CDs were becoming more prevalent people were complaining about the lack of space they provide for art and the fact the cases themselves are so easy to break/crack whatever. While I think a bad digipack release is about the worst fucking format imaginable (for instance the "Holocausto de la morte" digipack; what a pile of poop.) when it boils down to it the accepted, standard CD format (jewel case) is the most cheap & annoying to me because of the same reasons that made people complain about it a decade ago.

I like A5 DVD box styled releases and prefer them over the rest. Sure, they don't fit into a regular CD collection, but the possibilities are greater- more space for art, a nice handsome look overall and the case itself is nearly indestructible.
NWN PROD

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer jewel cases with big booklets. Those other odd sized CD packaging can get fucked up easily or is hard to store. I prefer the old fashioned plastic cases.

Web: nwnprod.com

NWN carries all IBP releases.
IBP carries all NWN releases.

The_Elite

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer jewel case cds- digipacks I hate with a passion (I put the cd in a clear jewel case to stop me destroying the digipack as they get wrecked so easily).
dronevil

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like jewel cases with black tray
Crows In Black

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to add that those double cd cases that are in a single sized cd case SUCK! You know, the one where it looks like a regular sized cd case, and the tray flips open like a book with another cd on the other side. I probably have 20 or 30 cd's like this and EVERY GODDAMN one of them is fucking broken....and not from anything I did, most of them all the fucking teeth immediately broke the first time I would take the cd out! Most fucking clear cd trays are pieces of shit that break, Ill take the white Japanese style cd cases, those are the best!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some notable exceptions to the digipack/digibook rule. The “Filosofem” A5 digibook and the Wolfhetan “Entruckung” digibook are examples of how this format can be done right. I like the fact that the latter mentioned had a CD slip folder inside the book itself instead of a tray.

Single CD sized double cases do indeed suck ass.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My offer remains: $100 to whoever films Sielski vs. Chase and posts it on the board.
deathster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In early 90s some Earache rec death metal stuff was released in longbox editions. Pretty cool stuff.

CD in LP sleeve is also cool idea (like Death SS "Horror Metal").
avrlabel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Temple from Poland have some releases with unusual formats for CD..I prefer jewel cases with booklets that include lyrics ane well done designed...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deathster wrote:
In early 90s some Earache rec death metal stuff was released in longbox editions. Pretty cool stuff.

CD in LP sleeve is also cool idea (like Death SS "Horror Metal").

I think I'd rather have an LP in a LP sleeve, but whatever.

Ajna's quad CD "Infernal Proteus" has a unique format too- and probably the nicest I have ever seen; 98 page, hard back book with CD holders inside each cover.
Haagenti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Turkey, If you release a cd, you must pay 5000$ to gouvernement per 1000 cd. If you dont, you go to jail for 5 years an you pay 50000$. And cd factories dont accept to release your cd If you don have the permition papers of gouvernement. For this reason There is No Ug. black metal label in Turkey. There are some little distros who releases only Cd-r. In short, cd-r are worst releases in the word.
Digibox format like limbonic art vol1-4 (yes band sux) seems very good.
Sarcueil

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in addition to what haagenti said, i gotta add the fact that the factories treat you like shit because their workers are religious cunts, dammit.
avrlabel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Montenegro theres not factory that can press CD,tape or vynil..
Only that we can do are dubbed tapes.For me that is good and 100 times better than CD-r.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haagenti wrote:
In Turkey, If you release a cd, you must pay 5000$ to gouvernement per 1000 cd. If you dont, you go to jail for 5 years an you pay 50000$. And cd factories dont accept to release your cd If you don have the permition papers of gouvernement. For this reason There is No Ug. black metal label in Turkey. There are some little distros who releases only Cd-r. In short, cd-r are worst releases in the word.
Digibox format like limbonic art vol1-4 (yes band sux) seems very good.

$5000? There's not much left after that to help cover the studio recording cost, printing fees, advertising etc...

I'm not totally against CD-rs, depending on the quality of the disc. I've put Memorex CDrs through years of stress with relatively few problems.
Haagenti

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilhelm wrote:

$5000? There's not much left after that to help cover the studio recording cost, printing fees, advertising etc...

YES!!! For this reason Few labels 'n Turkey only release Mainsstream death grind, gothic, power and in the vein of sweedis death metal bands who are fuckin mainstream and muslim servants. After the events of satanism in 1999 and this law about releasing an original cd, ug totally died.(there were good bands 10 years ago but all of them were splited up by police or due of economical problems) Now police doesnt care the metal people anymore but If you want to do something, you must pay tousand dolars to gouvernement. For this reason bands dont release anything. And I tried to create a vinly label but also gouvernement wanted many dolars from me about taxes and for importing lps from czech republic. FUCKIN FACHIST BASTARDS!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: