P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

MERZBOW
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theliving

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:02 am    Post subject: MERZBOW Reply with quote

I need a lesson in Merzbow. I like some albums he appears on, like with Boris, Sunn O))), random things with Nordvargr.

As far as solo stuff...that's a mountain. Sampled bits and pieces. Static. All the static.

Does anyone here ACTUALLY listen to him for recreation? If so, what albums?
antihumanism

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should better ask such question on the special interest forum, I am sure from there you'll get honest opinions. Never been into merzbow stuff myself (only have those collaboration albums with nordvargr) but I remember many people prefer his old stuff instead of the laptop stuff he does now...
Petrificado

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been wondering this myself. I randomly picked up a couple of CDs for dirt cheap to give it a go; Merzbear and Merzbuta. Not listened to them yet and I have no idea where they're considered to rank in the Merzbow catalogue.
little_raven

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy the merzcar

I like yaho-niwa, pulse demon, paradise pachinko and the colab with balazs pandi or however you write it... but I've checked like ~12 of his albums so I can't really say which one is the DMDS of japnoise.
Mz412

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like him a lot, not a Collector of the Stuff. Have no really Special Best Whatever, but since i moslty like the Analogue Stuff, suprisingly the 13 Japanese Birds Series is really nice, also.

For Beginners think this 13 CD Series is a good Start.

And for the Question about really listening....yeah, i like Noise and Power Electronics more than Black Metal nowadays
holy ghost

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like all his eras to different degrees, you can't go wrong with Venerology, Aqua Necromancer, Rainbow Electonics II, Pulse Demon, 1930 or Hybrid Noisebloom of his mid 90's albums as starting points.

I think his recent stuff where he's used drums has been really interesting too, I bought all the "13 Japanese Birds" albums and those were great, and Anicca had some wild shit on it too.

I also like some more recent stuff like Animal Magnetism, Frog+, Merzbuddha (personal favourite), SCSI Duck.... his digital stuff is okay by me as well although I prefer the analog stuff overall.

I did not get to buy "Merzbient" which went out of print for insane prices, but I really want it. Confused

Still should be easy to find Batztoutai 2xCD on RRR for a look at his really early stuff as well.

Lots of other great stuff out there from Japan so don't miss Hijokaidan, Incapacitants, Government Alpha, CCCC... tons of stuff to delve into!!
Final Holocaust

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really into Merzbow. Hasn't clicked on me yet, I guess, still I enjoy some Venereology thrown in a short dose. You can check his live show with Pan Sonic as well, highly recommended.
Svetlio Necrodoom

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great project.Masami Akita is a god.His new album Nezumimochi will be out soon.I like all his works/collabs etc., but check first Venerology,Pulse Demon..Under his label ZSF Produkt was released also other good bands/projects - The Gero-P,Gerogerigegege,Das Synthetische Mischgewebe.
leewar
banned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a noise fan, i find it all a bit Emperors new clothes, Merzbow more so, he could fart in a jam jar and pretentious cunts would still write essays on the 'sonic textures' or some other such twaddle.
BlackNazareth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw him live recently, fantastic show. Pulse Demon forever.
probert

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leewar wrote:
Not a noise fan, i find it all a bit Emperors new clothes, Merzbow more so, he could fart in a jam jar and pretentious cunts would still write essays on the 'sonic textures' or some other such twaddle.

i understand this point of view as much as i dont understand how everyone into extreme music does not absolutely love merzbow.

if you want to read a book that absolutely sucks the joy out of an extremely inventive and exciting music scene check out "Japanoise" written by some fucking wannabe nowadays "academic" "anthropologist". it hurts my heart.

the people who responded all have good suggestions for a beginner. personal faves of mine are Doors Open At 8am (a bit beat based, Merzbow's tribute to jazz drummers), Oersted, Frog, Pinkream and i really love the boris collab.
holy ghost

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

probert wrote:

if you want to read a book that absolutely sucks the joy out of an extremely inventive and exciting music scene check out "Japanoise" written by some fucking wannabe nowadays "academic" "anthropologist". it hurts my heart.

I almost ordered that on my last amazon order. Thanks for the heads up.
Aeonblade

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leewar wrote:

Agreed. Total horseshit music.
Final Holocaust

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys remind me of those people we all have met at school complaining at heavy metal because it is "unlistenable noise". Lots of wankery and snobbish shit, as in every musical subgenre, but also a great place for genius imo.
leewar
banned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really, give me industrial or power electronics any day over 'noise', i prefer effort and concept with music, not just throwing any old shit at a wall and hoping it sticks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: