P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

GZ vinyl handling techniques...
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carrioncrow

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:01 am    Post subject: GZ vinyl handling techniques... Reply with quote

Is it mandatory for GZ to pour sand all over a new stack of vinyl and grind them together before shipping them out? Most of the vinyl releases I have been seeing from them lately have been COVERED in surface scratches...EVIL BLOOD release was really bad as well as the copy I just got of the CIANIDE Purple 2nd press...and this is just in the last week...it has become pretty standard for them...makes me not want to purchase any vinyl coming from their plant...on another note, does anybody know where Peaceville presses their vinyl?
Adrianus7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything that comes out of that shithole is bound to sound like shit and look even worse, people on this board of course don't notice that as they're too busy collecting gadgets included inside diehard editions to care about the actual musical content. Truth is, GZ media is the worst disgrace happened to the world of music after the grunge/indie rock outbreak in the early '90ies.

And i do much cabaret, thats why i'm in the Black Metal Scene
Haunt In The Dark

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a regular complaint from record fans for years now.

I don't like that gritty sandy dust thing at all but what upsets me the most about GZ is their awful label-printing. Poorest printing quality I've ever seen on any labels. Their black looks grey and the colours leak, disgusting... I also can't stand Pirates Press uglyarse poopoo "splatter vinyls" and it's coming to the point where even their regular vinyls feel "weird" in my hands.

It's a bummer most metal labels go through them even if I can understand why they use them. I just know I'd probably buy more records if I knew they weren't pressed there.

First world problems...
Adrianus7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haunt In The Dark wrote:
I don't like that gritty sandy dust thing at all but what upsets me the most about GZ is their awful label-printing. Poorest printing quality I've ever seen on any labels. Their black looks grey and the colours leak, disgusting..

Quoted for truth, same problem with picture discs. No wonder people here hate that format, I bet that 95% of the picture discs owned by an average NWN poster were pressed at GZ, and they indeed sound and look awful.

sztorm75

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope that shithole will burn down one day
rauta

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you guys give some specific examples of these GZ fuck-ups? The only one that I heard specific surface dust complaints about is the 11 Fingers LP but I had nothing like that one my copies and they sounded really good, just like all the other pressing jobs of my bands' material. Additionally, which plants do you think come up with the most consistent good quality?
holy ghost

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really sure I've had any experiences like this....
dangerass

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a few cases of records arriving scratched/dusty and it sucks, but most of the GZ records I own sound fine. Including the pic discs.
Adrianus7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rauta wrote:
Can you guys give some specific examples of these GZ fuck-ups?

I know you're asking to mention actual records suffering from that specific problem, here's a list of faults affecting most GZ releases anyway

- the vinyl they use attracts dust, dirt, fur and hair better than honey attracts bees
- even brandnew records will skip easily
- filmsy jackets, even when they're using their typical ultraheavy (recycled) cardboard the quality is miles away from what you'd expect from a professional plant
- when glossy paper is being used for the jackets, they will regularly widen up better than your belly would after 15 beers.
- hard-fitting inner jackets
- inserts that will get fingertip stains at the remotest attempt to handle them
- colors used for picture discs and labels are paler than death

I won't even comment on the poor sound quality of everything comes out of GZ, everyone who isn't completely deaf should hear that.

outlaw-recordings

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've definitely experienced this, as a consumer in the sense of having stuff pressed there for my label, and as a consumer having bought stuff that was pressed there. It doesn't happen EVERY time, but their quality control is pretty low. Hence the low prices!

Have you ever heard that saying "You get what you pay for?!"

However, they do make a lot of great products too, especially in their packaging and trinket department. But their actual vinyl, not so great. Their mastering is hit or miss. The grooves on the vinyl are so shallow that you better not look at the vinyl too hard or you might scratch it! So for those who care about the sound of the music and such, GZ may not be so great.

I'll wrap with this: from what I've seen, talking about it on here is NOT something that's looked kindly upon, since as somebody pointed out there are a lot of "GZ Fans" on this board. It's kinda like walking into a church and trying to discuss your ideas about the downsides of religion.... so proceed with caution.

But as I said, I have to speak my truth on this, and I have experienced EXACTLY what's being mentioned. I remember getting back a single I had pressed there in like 2001 and it literally felt like there was sand on the singles.... but then again, I'd paid something like $150 for the whole box of 100 single signed sealed and delivered to JFK airport, so I couldn't really complain! That , mastering, pressing, labels, included ALL fees and shipping.

Back in the day, if you ordered direct from GZ (before the greedy brokers got involved) you could get shit done SOOOOOO cheap.......
rauta

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant which specific records have these flaws; maybe I could check for myself in case I own any of them.
outlaw-recordings

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrianus7 wrote:

I won't even comment on the poor sound quality of everything comes out of GZ, everyone who isn't completely deaf should hear that.

Haha... classic comment!

A lot of times they have to cut shit flat as a flounder though to meet the demands of the customers who want 30 minute LP sides! I mean, seriously, you start with a crappy sounding demo and then try and cram 2 hours of music on a 2 LP set and you wonder why it sounds flat!?!? I don't.

There is some fact and science behind it too. Check out this info, and think about the fact that most of the music we're discussing being cut for these records we're discussing is HEAVY METAL and was meant to be heard LOUD:

http://www.aardvarkmastering.com/cutspec.htm
Cursed Emperor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hate it when new records arrive scratched and/or dusty.

and this:
Adrianus7 wrote:

- the vinyl they use attracts dust, dirt, fur and hair better than honey attracts bees
Adrianus7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

outlaw-recordings wrote:
However, they do make a lot of great products too, especially in their packaging and trinket department. But their actual vinyl, not so great.

Hits the nail right on the head. They do their job extremely well when it comes to the whole "deluxe 24"x24" poster/pin/sticker/whatnot" department, which is exactly why people from this board especially will find their products appealing.

outlaw-recordings wrote:
there are a lot of "GZ Fans" on this board.

I believe that's also linked to the fact that NWN presses its records there, and it still puzzles me that a label which is supposedly run by a vinyl lover goes for such an unprofessional plant. I mean, take a look at the very first NWN releases, the Black Witchery/Abigail albums or the Blasphemy live lp, they all sound crushing and look killer, like they were actual '80ies records. Why did they switch to GZ is beyond me.

dangerass

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrianus7 wrote:
rauta wrote:
Can you guys give some specific examples of these GZ fuck-ups?

I know you're asking to mention actual records suffering from that specific problem, here's a list of faults affecting most GZ releases anyway

- even brandnew records will skip easily
- filmsy jackets, even when they're using their typical ultraheavy (recycled) cardboard the quality is miles away from what you'd expect from a professional plant
- when glossy paper is being used for the jackets, they will regularly widen up better than your belly would after 15 beers.
- colors used for picture discs and labels are paler than death

Now that you mention it, I guess I have had more problems with their vinyl than I thought. I do have to say though; most (with a few exceptions) of the NWN and HHR releases look and sound good. I assume they are using GZ for all these releases, so I guess not all GZ records are garbage.

"- even brandnew records will skip easily"

This was definitely the case with the latest Villains record. I cleaned it off before I played it and it looked spotless, yet it still skipped on the second to last song repeatedly. I had to clean it about five times before the skipping went away.

On the flip side of that, the HHR pic disc pressing of Sabbat - Evoke sounds really good. I was more than pleased with that one. Same with the new Midnight pic disc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 1 of 18

Jump to: