P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Jazz rock, psychedelic rock, krautrock, zeuhl etc
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jankowitch

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:31 am    Post subject: Jazz rock, psychedelic rock, krautrock, zeuhl etc Reply with quote

Another topic since these styles don't really belong in the prog rock thread.

I'll repost my list of jazz/psych rock favorites :

Gong - Camembert Electrique, You, Flying Teapot, Angel's Egg, one of the most psychedelic bands in my book
Soft Machine - The Soft Machine, Volume Two, Third, pure jazz-rock excellence and beauty, with a kind of childish approach that is always refreshing. The best Canterbury band.
Frank Zappa - Waka/Jawaka, The Grand Wazoo, Hot Rats... For me the best composer of all times, one of humanity's greatest geniuses.
Tipographica - Tipographica, God Says I Can't Dance, Floating Opera. Ultra complex and mind hacking jazz-rock, like Frank Zappa's The Grand Wazoo with alien notions of rythm and Jazz from Hell-like melodies. Criminally underrated band.

As for krautrock, I mostly like Amon Düül II's first three albums and Can 1968-1973. I've discovered some other stuff that's pretty good, like Dom (which is more like german ritual folk under psychedelic influence) and Xhol Caravan (very jazz, circus-like).

And for zeuhl, Magma goes without saying of course, all their albums up to Üdü Wüdü are absolute masterpieces. The only other really great band I've found is One Shot with James McGaw and Philippe Bussonnet (Magma's current guitarist and bassist), they make obscure instrumental zeuhl with dynamics akin to De Futura, with an almost metal approach, a drummer that emulates Christian Vander's style really well, and a jazz keyboardist that brings some light to this festival of twisted rythms and dark moods. I recommend the album Ewaz Vader.
ToadstoolMoon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One awesome psychedelic/experimental album which deserves to be mentioned is L'Enfant assassin des mouches by Jean-Claude Vannier.
Stuff like this sounds like what Secret Chiefs 3 started doing decades later:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itVcGGFd2AU

asmael LeBouc wrote:
Ok alright, something UNIQUE, raw with weird vocals?

Trörkrvisätänsrökrëh
Jankowitch

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ToadstoolMoon wrote:
One awesome psychedelic/experimental album which deserves to be mentioned is L'Enfant assassin des mouches by Jean-Claude Vannier.
Stuff like this sounds like what Secret Chiefs 3 started doing decades later:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itVcGGFd2AU

Pretty good stuff, it reminds me of Amon Düül II's atmosphere a little bit.
theliving

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the bands you've mentioned. Need to explore ZAPPA more.

I think you'd enjoy Joakim Skogsberg's "Jola Rota", Centipede's "Septober Energy", and Shub-Niggurath from France.

Edit: After browsing the other rock threads, you're probably aware of these.

The Zeuhl label has some GREAT stuff on it. Delving into that currently.
mithrandir

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Jazz rock, psychedelic rock, krautrock, zeuhl etc Reply with quote

Jankowitch wrote:
Another topic since these styles don't really belong in the prog rock thread.

why not?
Jankowitch

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well for me prog rock is more stuff like Yes, Pink Floyd, Genesis, Caravan, Gentle Giant etc. Not really my cup of tea, so might as well create a new topic.

Quote:
Love the bands you've mentioned. Need to explore ZAPPA more.

I think you'd enjoy Joakim Skogsberg's "Jola Rota", Centipede's "Septober Energy", and Shub-Niggurath from France.

Edit: After browsing the other rock threads, you're probably aware of these.

The Zeuhl label has some GREAT stuff on it. Delving into that currently.

I can't recommand listening to more Zappa enough, he did so many different things. If you like jazz I also recommend the live album Wazoo, poor sound quality but entirely amazing, with this incredible instrumental version of "The adventure of Greggary Peccary". Then in other styles I love Jazz from Hell (mental-breakdown electronica on the synclavier, maybe his most underrated album - not for everyone though), One Size Fits All, Make a Jazz Noise Here, Sleep Dirt, Uncle Meat (in particular CD2 for the wonderful King Kong)...

Thanks for the recommandations, I'll try those (I already know Centipede and Shub-Niggurath a little bit).
mithrandir

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gong, Soft Machine, Magma, all pretty much Prog my friend, too much overlap to matter all that much, I mean might as well have separate threads for Kraut, Zeuhl and Jazz Rock, as well
Huldrelok

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zappa is certainly one of my favorite artists, love the mothers stuff, love the later stuff, although some of it goes right over my head. The jazz fusion and early 70s stuff is definitely all killer.

Some of my favorite releases... Hot Rats, Joe's Garage, Over-nite sensation, Chunga's Revenge, Zoot Allures, Shut up n' play your guitar, etc

The live material is great too, been loving FZ:OZ recently. Others that are awesome; The best band you never heard, Sheik Yerbouti, Ahead of their time, roxy, wazoo, and the list really goes on and on.
Captain Retard

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Krayola - The Parable Of Arable Land
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRh5HM_Nwes
call_from_stars

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magma - De Futura or die.
from the newer stuff Electric Moon, The Cosmic Dead or Seven That Spells pulled out some good sex & drugs music.
FurorAntiquus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Popol Vuh - Nosferatu soundtrack

Association P.C. - Earwax (cover art is even worse!)

The recent Lost Tapes Boxset from Can is excellent (and entire discography with Suzuki)

McChurch Soundroom - Delusion

Most of the obvious stuff from Neu!, Can, Amon Duul really is all I need.
Nichts

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This album should be re-released on CD. It's not fair that Eno and groups like TG have 30+ pressings in all formats for each album and this gem only has a few vinyl pressings from the 70's!!!

norwegianhowlermonkey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prog rock for me is all about Hawkwind.
Jankowitch

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Hawkwind is all about Space Ritual. Studio albums are all lacking strength imo. I saw them in Hell's Pleasure, it was fucking amazing, much better band live than in the studio.
xray

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Jazz rock, psychedelic rock, krautrock, zeuhl etc Reply with quote

Jankowitch wrote:
The only other really great band I've found is One Shot with James McGaw and Philippe Bussonnet (Magma's current guitarist and bassist), they make obscure instrumental zeuhl with dynamics akin to De Futura, with an almost metal approach, a drummer that emulates Christian Vander's style really well, and a jazz keyboardist that brings some light to this festival of twisted rythms and dark moods. I recommend the album Ewaz Vader.

Thanks! I love Magma (and most of the other stuff you've mentioned), but haven't explored much zeuhl for whatever reason.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: