P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Turntable
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carrioncrow

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(see post below...somehow got double posted....)

Last edited by carrioncrow on Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Destructive_Hate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my usb record player, i had pictures of this on photobucket i'll take pictures of my other two when i get home late tonight and post them up.

John. wrote:

Somewhat related question: what do you guys use to clean your vinyl? And when do you clean them (when your old ones are dirty, when you buy used ones, or do you even clean new ones that have never been played)?

I am probably going to buy the KAB EV-1, since i don't have enough money for the Okki Nokki just yet. I will still be using my brush untill then. I have researched and it seems like it works really well the EV-1 that is some the pictures i have seen are incredible.

Last edited by Destructive_Hate on Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:35 am; edited 1 time in total
carrioncrow

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carrioncrow wrote:
Quote:
cheap-ass turntable...

Most turntables that cost $200.00 or more (I talking Technics, Numark, etc.) are going to give you excellent playback quality depending on the needle you use...I bought a Project Debut III because I couldn't really hear a difference between that and the more expensive Project models in the showroom...I can hear a difference between the Project that I use now and the Technics unit I replaced though, though the Technics had good sound...

Quote:
I currently have a Lence L80...

Do you mean a Lenco?
duff138

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carrioncrow wrote:
Quote:
VPI HW-19 mk3 w/ Rega rb300 tonearm.
ClearAudio Virtuoso wood cartridge...

Nice turntable...but think of all the records $2000.00 or so can buy...did you buy this retail or second hand?

I bought it second hand. Bought the cartridge new, but paid close to 1/2 the retail price.

I sold about a dozen records and a bunch of 7"'s that actually paid for most of the table. Most of the vinyl was limited colored stuff, andt I was able to replace most of it with copies on black vinyl!
carrioncrow

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice equipment...good buy...
Demonomancy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thorens TD 2001

Great Player...really satisfy with it.

thrashbeast

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humus wrote:
Then again, what's the point in having a valuable record collection if you only have a cheap-ass turntable to play them on?

So anything less than a couple of grand is considered "cheap"? Why not just buy a moderately priced table and stylus that has really good sound quality? How much difference are you going to hear in a setup costing $500.00 and something that costs four times that amount?
John.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thrashbeast wrote:
Humus wrote:
Then again, what's the point in having a valuable record collection if you only have a cheap-ass turntable to play them on?

So anything less than a couple of grand is considered "cheap"? Why not just buy a moderately priced table and stylus that has really good sound quality? How much difference are you going to hear in a setup costing $500.00 and something that costs four times that amount?

Good point.

It's worth mentioning that the whole hifi -vs- "lofi" debate is really quite pointless outside of a very specific (yet real) mode of appreciation. By that I simply mean that even though "hifi" is completely appreciable in a very valid way, it in NO WAY DEpreciates something that is "less" hifi than it (like a regular old turntable that didn't cost thousands of dollars).

For example, I prefer tapes & vinyl records over CDs, but that doesn't mean I won't listen to CDs.

By the same token, if I have access to play an LP on a kickass stereo, I will, and I'll certainly enjoy the sound that comes out. But when I'm at home, and I'm stuck with my cheap ass Sony deck and bullshit Technics amp, I'm still going to listen to the record, and I'll STILL enjoy it. In the same way that I'd still enjoy the music if it were on tape, CD, or whatever.

Of course, I'm generalising it down a bit, but with the sole intention of derailing the endless (and somewhat pointless) hif debate. I suggest that even though there IS always a difference from one stereo to the next, "better" or "worse" is not the issue; the real usefullness of a thread like this is to hear about what different folks are using and are happy/unhappy with, and NOT discussing the virtue of "hifi" (as it is an endless discussion, and better left as a personal thing imo).
Destructive_Hate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are my other two players, both were free to a good home from some friends of mine. Both work really well and play really well. I am quite happy with them

Garrard Zero 100c

Technics SL-BD27

thrashbeast

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John. wrote:
Good point.

It's worth mentioning that the whole hifi -vs- "lofi" debate is really quite pointless outside of a very specific (yet real) mode of appreciation. By that I simply mean that even though "hifi" is completely appreciable in a very valid way, it in NO WAY DEpreciates something that is "less" hifi than it (like a regular old turntable that didn't cost thousands of dollars).

For example, I prefer tapes & vinyl records over CDs, but that doesn't mean I won't listen to CDs.

By the same token, if I have access to play an LP on a kickass stereo, I will, and I'll certainly enjoy the sound that comes out. But when I'm at home, and I'm stuck with my cheap ass Sony deck and bullshit Technics amp, I'm still going to listen to the record, and I'll STILL enjoy it. In the same way that I'd still enjoy the music if it were on tape, CD, or whatever.

Of course, I'm generalising it down a bit, but with the sole intention of derailing the endless (and somewhat pointless) hif debate. I suggest that even though there IS always a difference from one stereo to the next, "better" or "worse" is not the issue; the real usefullness of a thread like this is to hear about what different folks are using and are happy/unhappy with, and NOT discussing the virtue of "hifi" (as it is an endless discussion, and better left as a personal thing imo).

Also good points...

Although, my argument wasn't concerning a really high-end setup versus something you'd find at a garage sale. I'm saying, why would anyone spend all that money on a table when you could have something just as decent for around a quarter of that price? What I asked earlier was a rhetorical question. The average listener should be more than satisfied with a moderately priced table and stylus. The sonic differences are very subtle when you start comparing systems over the $500.00 price range.

I guess it's akin to someone who spends a quarter million on a Ferrari when they could have comparable performance in a less popular car costing half as much. The fact of the matter is, they just want to own a Ferrari because of the name, because they like to show off what they own, and because they want to be a part of an exclusive small group of people who own one. Really, I can't think of any other reason. I've heard a lot of different high-priced turntables and don't think there's much of a difference in sound quality. The same go with stylii. Some have a little more bass, some have more presense, etc. I can't see someone listening to one and saying to themselves, this has clearer highs? Great! I'll spend an extra couple of hundred dollars on that! A jazz audiophile maybe. What kind of fucking metalhead would concern themselves with shit like this, though? Give me a fucking break.

Then again, some people just have more money than they know what to do with...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that Numarkplayer with integrated riaa and usb plug. Its pretty cool, for that price. Before that I had a pretty deasent but unnamed player that I payd some 100 dollars for. Im not a diehard vinylfanatic, so that numark will have to do for now. I love the simplisity of just plugging in the plug and then get my vinyls on mp3 if I want to. No more buying both cd and lp, if both are out at the same time.
Humus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thrashbeast wrote:
Humus wrote:

You missed my point. I was not talking about $500 turntables (as I am about to buy one myself), but rather the cheap turntables that you can buy new in stores for $100. The difference between a $500 and $100 turntable is defintely hearable, I can't comment on the higher range turntables (+$1000) because I've never got to hear one in detail myself.
And what's the relevance of this all for a fucking metalhead? Go listen to 64 kbits MP3's if you don't care about sound. Some of my favourite albums sound like they are recorded with no budget at all, and I'm not saying that you have to get audiophile material, but the least you can do if you listen to your records regularly is to make sure it sounds atleast halfway decent. And $100 turntables just don't do that. A decent turntable isn't such a big investment and it can give you pleasure for decades.
carrioncrow

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A decent turntable isn't such a big investment and it can give you pleasure for decades...

Agreed and seconded...
Stuka

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Audio-Technica AT-PL 120

Twisted Evil
carrioncrow

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since everyone else is showing pics...

My system:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: