P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Gear thread?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46, 47  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dronevil

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't gel with the ultra channel on DSL's, too much muddy gain. Crunch channel with a boost is great though, but seems like there's no crunch mode on the low wattage ones?
Norseman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dronevil wrote:
I can't gel with the ultra channel on DSL's, too much muddy gain. Crunch channel with a boost is great though, but seems like there's no crunch mode on the low wattage ones?

Oh, sorry, classic I meant. Still good when you boost it, though might not meet your gain needs. The 3 channel 40W looks great, but isn't it a bit heavy for home use? I do not detect much mud with the ultra gain kept below 11 though? Though it actually makes quite a big difference whether the reverb is engaged or not, even if it is only barely detectable below 50%, it still alters the sound. I am generally a fan of reverb, but for Marshalls, there is just something about these amps that comes alive when completely dry.
SonOfPerdition

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy ghost wrote:
EHX is not exactly known for its quality builds!!

This indeed... I've had some trouble in the past with my Holy Grail and Memeory boy too. I'm not that big of a fan of EHX anymore. I'm looking to replace the Holy Grail, probably by a Hall of Fame or a Polara.

Norseman wrote:
I'd probably try an EQ pedal as an alternative to a boost in the loop. Push those cutting frequencies for the leads. Might work. Might not.

I've still got a boss GE-7 laying around somewhere. I'll give it a try during rehearsal tomorrow, let see what it brings.

Thanks fo the input!

Another question what are some good octaver and/or pitch shift pedals you guys can recommend?
Norseman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, had my first opportunity to test the DSL20 to its fullest capacity this weekend through a 4x12 cab. What seemed like it would cut just fine in the mix with the volume low did not really work vs a full band, and a second guitarist with a 100w amp. It just disappeared into oblivion. The only thing that worked was the classic Marshall trick: set everything to 10. Treble/Mids/Bass all at 10 (did not become boomy), Volume at 10, gain at 10, tubescreamer pushing it at max and into the classic gain channel and drive it with a hot pickup (Gibson 500t's). Even presence maxed out. That did the trick, and sounded really good, just enough gain for my taste, but very good string definition. Perfect sound for live application.

Though I do suspect that it is just a little on the low side for a normal sized venue unless miced up. If they only had made the 40w into a head...
Saltrubbed Eyes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a 2nd hand Orange cr120 head.
I've had it 2 weeks and like this head quite a lot, the analog distortion has surprized me, I didn't expect it to sound so good, I will now consider using a channel footswitch instead of distortion pedals.
Teivel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saltrubbed Eyes wrote:
I've had it 2 weeks and like this head quite a lot, the analog distortion has surprized me, I didn't expect it to sound so good, I will now consider using a channel footswitch instead of distortion pedals.

The Cr120 is a great solid state head, definitely one of the better ones. I find it's best when I run my Mooer Green Mile (a tubescreamer mini clone) as a clean boost on it. Really sharpens the sound up so it isn't so muddy. The reverb on it is awesome but I only run it when I play on the clean channel.
Saltrubbed Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teivel wrote:
Saltrubbed Eyes wrote:

The Cr120 is a great solid state head, definitely one of the better ones. I find it's best when I run my Mooer Green Mile (a tubescreamer mini clone) as a clean boost on it. Really sharpens the sound up so it isn't so muddy. The reverb on it is awesome but I only run it when I play on the clean channel.

Great to hear from someone using the same amp

I have considered getting a tubescreamer clone, I'm using a EHX chorus when using the clean channel, it works very well.

The only minor problem for me is finding a better speaker cabinet for it as I've only got a open back 1x12 cab.
axebix

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squier strat with humbuckers and a blown Aria AG-20 amp (now it has plain of fuzz and sustain so I don't have to put on my Rat clone after it), and that's the current thing for writing riffs.
Amebix/Frost/Vitus guy myself so it gets the job and then some.
dronevil

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This just arrived last week, hopefully the last amp I'd buy in a long while.

Some random jams, excuse my shitty playing:
https://soundcloud.com/godgrinder666/wizard-modern-classic
Saltrubbed Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a cheap old Line 6 amp with 2 Celestion Vintage 30's in it.

I'm going to gut it and turn it into a 2x12 cabinet for my Orange.

It is impossible to get cabs with Celestion V-30's where I live without forking out huge amounts of cash, so I have to resort to these kinds of measures.
Teivel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saltrubbed Eyes wrote:
I just bought a cheap old Line 6 amp with 2 Celestion Vintage 30's in it.

I'm going to gut it and turn it into a 2x12 cabinet for my Orange.

It is impossible to get cabs with Celestion V-30's where I live without forking out huge amounts of cash, so I have to resort to these kinds of measures.

The Orange PPc cabs have V-30s in them so it should go great with the head. Joe Hasselvander used Orange cabs while recording Sub-Basement with Pentagram so Iím sure itíll sound great. Youíre better off gutting and doing it yourself anyway because Orangeís PPc cabs are really expensive and theyíre heavy as fuck.
Naekrospavvn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

axebix wrote:
Squier strat with humbuckers and a blown Aria AG-20 amp

Balkan style.
candlesmoke

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dronevil wrote:
candlesmoke wrote:
Can anyone recommend any other decent-sounding combos for home use?

https://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca22h_guitar_head.htm
+
https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g112vintage.htm

Sensing a small issue with that head: seems like the OD channel doesnít have volume control. So can I even get high gain at low volume (1-2) without using a boost or cranking the amp?

Is Custom 22 perhaps a better option in this regard? That one has gain as well as volume knobs for both channels.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_custom_22_head_bp.htm
KS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are two gain controls(preamp)and two master volumes(master)?
Its just that they aren't called "volume"
Squatz_n_oatz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I get a decent used bass head and cab for under $1000? Under $500? And should I not get a 5 string bass as my first? I'm a guitarist and don't want to just end up playing bass like a big guitar.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46, 47  Next
Page 45 of 47

Jump to: