P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Gear thread?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
holy ghost

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attic Snake wrote:
holy ghost wrote:
sold my Marshall JCM 900 half stack

How was the 900? I was going to buy one because I wanted something relatively inexpensive to use as a second head, but then I bought a Mesa (which was the exact opposite of what I was thinking). They've got a real bad rep but from what I've seen they could be good for trashy speed/thrash stuff.

I was NEVER able to pull the tones I wanted from it, but I don't play the sort of music it was made for. However the guy who bought it from me who plays in a Maiden cover band and a Slayer cover band was instantly able to pull some great stuff out of it when he was testing it out. He even called me like a month after buying it (he drove like 4 hours each way to pick it up too) to tell me how happy he was with it. It's a fucking workhorse to be sure. Solid as fuck. Easy to maintain. Underrated, and has a bad rep for sure. It's not something anyone wants to mod to 800 specs due to the circuit board being really different than previous Marshalls.

However, it's super easy to pick up on the cheap. I hear really bad things about the 900's with reverb, mine was the SL-X and worked solidly for me for a decade before I decided to move to Fender territory.....
dronevil

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All JCM900 except later version of the SL-X have solid state clipping diodes in them. The solid state clipping circuts were pretty poorly designed so they dont sound very good, hence the bad rep. If I want a cheap and easy to use Marshall I would probably pick up a JCM2000.

BTW is that Super Reverb a 4x10" combo? Bet it weights a fuckin ton...

Last edited by dronevil on Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chuck W.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gitirs

I HAD a BC Rich Bich N.J. Series from 1982 with some Dimarzio Evo2 and Deactivator, I loved this fucking guitar, it took a fall and the neck snapped, I am in agony

A Jackson Dinky w EMGs, it eats batteries very quickly

Jackson series select RR1 black cheese V, Seymour Duncan SH2/TB4, Floyd Rose, sounds awesome

unknown Kalamazoo guitar possibly from the 60s, someone put a humbucker in it in the 70s or early 80s

peddles: a Radial ABY bypass switcheroo with one line going to a Boss Sustain/Compressor into a Cathedral Reverb (thought sometimes I Fucking swear reversing the two sounds better) going into a:

Peavey 6505+ (would like a mod not sure what yet)
cheapo Crate 4x12 (that sounds high and nasty)
overpriced Orange PPC4x12 (that sounds like utter shit, it sits unplugged)

the 2nd line from the ABY box goes into a RAT with a Robert Keeley mod (I couldn't imagine using this pedal without it) which goes into a:

Hartke HA5500 tube/solid state bass amp, the graphic EQ on this fucker rules
and an Ampeg 8x12 bass cabinet

pretty simple and very very VERY crude set up, but the tone is abysmally thick, I've had plenty of people in other bands and sound guys compliment me on such a full evil sounding tone. I did this because I knew we'd never find a bass player, and 8 try outs later its going to stay that way, I'd imagine this setup would frustrate many other players but I fucking love it

I'm selling a shitload of records and CDs from my collection http://nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=44647
Orpheus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would reccommend replacing the smoothing resistor in the power supply with a choke. 4 Henries is a good value. Its an easy mod that any TV repair guy could do for a few bucks.
holy ghost

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dronevil wrote:
BTW is that Super Reverb a 4x10" combo? Bet it weights a fuckin ton...

Yes. It really does. I'm really glad it has wheels. But it's an awesome amp, for sure.
holy ghost

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Current board. Tuner compressor white light OD rat muff flashback cathedral.

I'd like to add a trem maybe but pretty happy right now with this setup.
Werewolf

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck W. wrote:
Do you actually prefer this type of equalizers over the basic "high / mid / low" eq knobs? These equalizers have always scared me Embarassed

Regressive Rape MetalPunk: WWW.HEINOUS.BANDCAMP.COM
blewcheer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My current setup is dramatically different than what it's been in the past.

Guitar - BBE Freq Boost - Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah - MXR Fullbore Metal Distortion - MXR Flanger - MXR Phase 100 - Arion Stereo Delay - Acoustic 470 solid state head - Peavey 4x12"

Main switch was that I stopped using a tube amp. When I stopped using that, I also stopped using fuzz. After that I just started switching things out. I'm really satisfied with the Acoustic head. Bought it on the cheap, and it works great except for the reverb, which is fucked. I think the potentiometer is blown or something. The low end on this amp is retarded.
Attic Snake

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blewcheer wrote:

Guitar - BBE Freq Boost - Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah - MXR Fullbore Metal Distortion - MXR Flanger - MXR Phase 100 - Arion Stereo Delay - Acoustic 470 solid state head - Peavey 4x12"

How do you like the MXR Fullbore? I just switched from it to a Metal Muff and started using the Fullbore on my bass. None of the demos on youtube give it justice but after a few years felt like it wasn't giving me what I needed.

"Boss Metalzone sucks dicks. It makes femmy noises and it sounds like a weak nerd with glasses limping to the pharmacy to buy allergy pills."
blewcheer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fullbore is awesome, and you're right about the demos- they always make it sound frail and thin. The way I describe the Fullbore to people is that it's more or less what the Metal Zone should be- really adaptive to any style of music where you need a fuckload of sharp distortion. It's like MXR saw where Boss failed with the Metal Zone and fixed it. I find the noise gate absolutely useless, though, I have to say.
Chuck W.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Werewolf wrote:
Chuck W. wrote:
Do you actually prefer this type of equalizers over the basic "high / mid / low" eq knobs? These equalizers have always scared me Embarassed

It's more actually that I just use what I have, I got this amp for free after a fucking idiot I know took apart a Sunn Concert Bass amp and broke it, then "modded" my Fullbore Metal pedal by breaking the shit out of it. So I got a loaner from him and it belongs to me now. The Sunn amp had the three basic knobs and I got a single nasty high buzzing yet low rumbling sound for the low end I wanted just fine.

I can replicate the general tone from the Sunn and then go beyond, the graphic EQ is a fascinating thing to play with. Every little adjustment alters the tone completely, some day I might understand this better but it's fun to play with and fucking frustrating as hell when you lose the sweet spot (I got it memorized now).

I'm selling a shitload of records and CDs from my collection http://nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=44647
Attic Snake

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blewcheer wrote:
The Fullbore is awesome... I find the noise gate absolutely useless, though, I have to say.

Kills all the pick attack. The function that I think is even more useless is the scoop.

"Boss Metalzone sucks dicks. It makes femmy noises and it sounds like a weak nerd with glasses limping to the pharmacy to buy allergy pills."
blewcheer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attic Snake wrote:
blewcheer wrote:
The Fullbore is awesome... I find the noise gate absolutely useless, though, I have to say.

Kills all the pick attack. The function that I think is even more useless is the scoop.

Oh man, I use it all the time. It's a matter of having the rest of the EQ dialed in right for my sound though.
rh

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Fullbore, loved it at first but now I hate it so sooner or later it's going on eBay. It doesn't sound very musical to me, very fizzy and sterile (recording really made me aware of how bad it was). Switched to an AMT P-Drive and haven't looked back.
Chuck W.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never got to really use my Fullbore but I remember the rest of the band complaining that it ruined the sound. I also supplant a severe scoop with a mid gainy horrendous Rat rumble from a separate amp, it sounds great for what I do.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 13 of 21

Jump to: