P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

How do you keep your record collection
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 114, 115, 116 ... 123, 124, 125  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
funeral-records

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crasse wrote:
Question about gatefold LPs/2LPs: do you keep the record/records inside the sleeves or just between the folded jacket + plastic bag? Some sleeves don't even fit the records and you have to make "pressure" if you want to put them inside, it's so stupid.

I keep the records in the middle of the gatefold. Helps keep everything even on the shelf and no headaches trying to cram shit in the pockets.
Scorn Pole

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crasse wrote:
Question about gatefold LPs/2LPs: do you keep the record/records inside the sleeves or just between the folded jacket + plastic bag? Some sleeves don't even fit the records and you have to make "presure" if you want to put them inside, it's so stupid.

Single LP gatefolds I put in between the folded jacket. DLPs I'll put one between and one behind. If it's too tight your outer sleeves are probably too slim for gatefolds.
Crasse

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorn Pole wrote:
Crasse wrote:
Question about gatefold LPs/2LPs: do you keep the record/records inside the sleeves or just between the folded jacket + plastic bag? Some sleeves don't even fit the records and you have to make "presure" if you want to put them inside, it's so stupid.

Single LP gatefolds I put in between the folded jacket. DLPs I'll put one between and one behind. If it's too tight your outer sleeves are probably too slim for gatefolds.

No it has nothing too do with the outer sleeves, I probably expressed myself wrong. It is the gatefold jacket what is tight.

If you want to do this sometimes they don't fit inside and you just have to leave them between the jacket:

It happens with the new Tetragrammacide for example.
doomedplanet

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that IKEA no longer sells the EXPEDIT and have replaced it with KALLAX, I'm sure this happened long ago but I have not needed more shelving until now. Anyone that has the new unit, can they tell me how it is different than the old version?
Crasse

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doomedplanet wrote:
I see that IKEA no longer sells the EXPEDIT and have replaced it with KALLAX, I'm sure this happened long ago but I have not needed more shelving until now. Anyone that has the new unit, can they tell me how it is different than the old version?

Kallax on the left, expedit on the right.
The thickness on the external pieces is the only difference (and with this, the expedit is about 2cm bigger). Kallax is still good.

doomedplanet

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!
Funeral Thirst

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep mine alphabetised to the best of my ability, my LP shelves are totally full, so any new records I get are kept on the half shelf I have full now. My 10" and odd sized shelf has plenty of room and then I have like 4 shelves of 7"s

I wish I could say the same for my tapes, they're just in endless amounts of boxes in my room.
doomedplanet

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shifting all my shit to make room for another shelf is going to be a pain. But it beats the current situation, which is boxing some stuff up if I do not come up with more shelf space.
Scourgeofvinyl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Investing in Kallax shelves was one of the best decisions I made regarding my collection. Before I had a flimsy shelf from Amazon, couldn't even tell you the brand, and most of my collection was in LP boxes.If set up correctly, Kallax are sturdy and perfect for housing a large collection, plus it was a nightmare digging through boxes to find a record. Much more convenient and not an eyesore to look at.

I do still keep records in boxes, mostly ones that I know I wont be listening to but still want to hang on to, and I keep my 100+ 7"s in a box as well. Everything in alphabetical and chronological order.

As far as housing records in gatefolds, I usually keep the record(s) in between the gatefold unless there is ample space to fit the record sleeve inside the gatefold. Much less of a hassle and helps prevent ringwear.
doomedplanet

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if you were referring to me, I already have several Expedits full. Now all the surplus is on the floor in front of those shelves. It is either make room for more shelving or box all the new arrivals up, which would be sheer idiocy, haha.
The Missing Link

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got mine at Walmart. Even got one that lays sideways with 8 compartments.

Shirts: http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/posting.php
snakenuts

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funeral Thirst wrote:
I keep mine alphabetised to the best of my ability, my LP shelves are totally full, so any new records I get are kept on the half shelf I have full now. My 10" and odd sized shelf has plenty of room and then I have like 4 shelves of 7"s

I wish I could say the same for my tapes, they're just in endless amounts of boxes in my room.

I used to do this with my CD collection - the racks were full, but alphabetised, and then I would remember where the others were by when I bought them.
stamps

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhat off-topic question:

Anyone know where to get a 3x2 Kallax unit (or similar durable unit)? The way my living room is set up, that's max size I can fit in the spot where I have my turntable, tape deck, etc.

I have a cheap unit purchased from target, but it is flimsy and a misplaced step shakes the unit and sends my needle flying. I've only been able to find 2x2, 4x2, 4x4 etc. Kallax units.
SlevinKelevra

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't you stand a 4x2?

---
Deals/trades with : Al Infierno,amon-goethe, bearsbearsbears, cwprod, dethronewilliam, Hidden38, hume, hymnsoftheneedlefreak, jerry666, lordpazuzu, , mrgoatimus, nok, snakenuts, wirelessdarkness, xyosefx .
stamps

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlevinKelevra wrote:
Can't you stand a 4x2?

I could, but ultimately I hoping to be able to utilize all of the cubes for record storage, and set my equipment on top at a reasonable height.

Are those units sturdy if you leave out one of the dividers? In that case, I could put my equipment in some of the cubes as it were.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 114, 115, 116 ... 123, 124, 125  Next
Page 115 of 125

Jump to: