P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Zine editors
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Azmoth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stygian Shadows 'zine wrote:
Azmoth:

Hopefully it's not a mistake but I think you're Mr. T. Bernollin, right? If yes I say a big hail to you my friend!

yes it's me, hail !
I have a Stygian Shadows zine (thanks !) and it really looks killer.
Too bad it's totally impossible to read !
passetiermes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for my ignorance but Hellfire Commando, what is/was the name of your zine ?
Distinguish to Kill

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Astaroth wrote:
The amount of effort and work that goes into one issue is huge. It depends on what format, style and how many pages you do that determines the final result of course.

The best thing is seeing the final product and seeing people's reactions - be it negative or positive. It's the same principle as making music: you're doing it for yourself primarily.

As for Baltak - I placed an anti Baltak flyer in my first issue. Stupid band, stupid views (you cannot change history) and above all crap music.

Issue 3 is on the cards so expect a lot more controversy from this opinionated arsehole.

High quality upload of this flyer please!
Black_Fire

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best moments with the zine are when I receive geat answers for my interview (like Riotor, Deceased, Pyoveli), when contacts still go on, when I get good review in other zine, when someone told me some compliments about this work.... and when I have in my hands new issue!!!! It will be soon!

No so often someone send me any promo, maybe cause I dont beg from bands/labels, so usually I review the stuff I buy or trade. Also I dont see too much interest about the zine, people are just too lazy for this. Sometimes I think I'm doing this only for myself and... other zine editors. I know more zine editors than "only" raders! Maybe its time to promote not on flyers, but on myspace? Ok, just kidding.
www.doomzine.bandcamp.com
avrlabel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black_Fire wrote:
Best moments with the zine are when I receive geat answers for my interview (like Riotor, Deceased, Pyoveli), when contacts still go on, when I get good review in other zine, when someone told me some compliments about this work.... and when I have in my hands new issue!!!! It will be soon!

No so often someone send me any promo, maybe cause I dont beg from bands/labels, so usually I review the stuff I buy or trade. Also I dont see too much interest about the zine, people are just too lazy for this. Sometimes I think I'm doing this only for myself and... other zine editors. I know more zine editors than "only" raders! Maybe its time to promote not on flyers, but on myspace? Ok, just kidding.

Its good that you are kidding regarding myspace brother! Exclamation Laughing
Werewolf

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I released the 1st issue of my fanzine in Hebrew a month ago, inorder to get some local headbangers exposed to good bands that play oldschool heavy/thrash/death these days and good labels (I recommended on NWN!, HHR, Iron Bonehead, Deathstrike etc.). I xeroxed the first 20 with the xerox in the army for free and sold them for something like 1.5$ per copy. I gave 11 copies to a friend who works in a music shop in Tel-Aviv so it would be easier to sell it, for T.A. is a central city and all the metalheads visit there. Well, thus far there are still 2 copies left in the shop... I ran ouf of my copies much faster (the remaining 9) by trading them with headbangers from other countries who don't even know a single word in English and I had to xerox a few copies, so ironically it had more demand abroad than in IsraHell Laughing
But the Israelis who bought it really liked it a lot and I received only very positive feedbacks about the zine, though there weren't many... Still, I think it was the best part for me, before I started to get some free promo stuff which I actually enjoy to listen to.
I had more problems to find good stuff to review rather than with interviews. I did get the answers fast since the interviews were made through e-mail but I didn't ask any bands to send promos, since I wasn't sure in 100% that I'll be able to print the zine and I didn't want anyone to think that I'm a rip off in a case that it wouldn't get released. The more disappointing part of the making process was the fact that some bands told they would send their demos for free, even though I suggested that I cover the shipping costs at least, but they didn't keep their promise, and I really like the music those bands play. I think that it was the sittiest part of all this.
Anyway, now I'm working on the next issue, which will be written in English this time, that will feature some of the 1st issue's stuff translated and some more new stuff. I enjoy the making process, I enjoy even more getting free demos which I actually want to listen to, it's really great to get to know more cool people from many different countries and I like even the process of editing interviews with south american bands members who speak such a broken English that I'm just surprised that I can understand what the Hell they're talking about Smile
I find it a really pleasant experience and I hope that the upcoming issue (I hope I'll be able to print it in January) will be a bigger success than the Hebrew one Smile
Nekrokunt_Usurper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well been trying to get a 'zine done for ages and it looks like its actually finally fucking happening!!! I just need to get my funds sorted and I'll make the announcement of the release of the first issue. I can't wait to get it out as I'm sure I'll get a rush from it!
Reed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite zine editor was always an exacto knife and a sharpie.
Hellfire Commando

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

passetiermes wrote:
Sorry for my ignorance but Hellfire Commando, what is/was the name of your zine ?

Sorry, I never read your reply. My 'zine is "Morbid Tales" from Canada (not Morbid Tale from somewhere in South America) ... I have released 5 issues so far, and currently (and slowly) working on the 6th issue.
Nekrokunt_Usurper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you reveal anything about that yet?
Hellfire Commando

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess! It's a never ending project it seems... haha!

So far, I have interviews with Elixir (in-person interview), Sacred Blade (by phone), Soothsayer (e-mail), Darkthrone (9-page interview!!) and Inepsy (in person), waiting for answers from Pagan Altar, Flower Travellin' Band (they said they'd do it - but I haven't gotten news in about two months), Cauldron, Voïvod... I am trying to get in touch with Trop Féross and VOOR, also, but I am not succeding very well. Haha.

I got also a few record shop reviews from around the world (France, London, Prague), a COUNTESS/SABBAT tour story, and of course, lots of reviews. I still need to write about 5 interviews and do about 50 other reviews. We'll see! I am only putting this out when I am 100% satisfied with the content.
Nekrokunt_Usurper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! Really looking forward to that and the last 5 issues I've enjoyed. Also ace that you're interviewing Flower Travellin' Band, have the Satori LP (reissue) and its a masterpiece!

Anyway it looks like its going to be a good read! Wink
Piotr Sargnagel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love 'zines, the way I got into so many bands was by reading them. Now I've done three issues of a xeroxed rag - I enjoyed it very very much, even though it was hard work. But the photocopying is such a long process and I just don't have time anymore so i have decided to set up a website which will contain the highlights from the three issues as well as some new stuff. But I am not a fan of webzines it must be said. If there was no internet I wouldn't have the option so this is only a time-saving measure until I get some money together to get the thing printed for me.
The worst experience is when people promise to answer interviews, you go and write the interview, taking time, making a real effort, send it, they tell you they'll answer and then they never do. I find that really dampened my enthusiasm. But then I also received interviews from Big Boss (Root), Helgast (Mortuary Drape), Tormentor (Desaster) - who consistently gives good, informative and enjoyable interviews. I shouldn't complain!
Hellfire Commando

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Satori is a fucking masterpiece. I can never get enough of it! Can you beleive that part II has hit the charts in Canada, in the 70's? They even played a show here in Toronto... weird...

Thanks for the good feedback!! It gives me a bit of fuel for the fire. Smile
Black_Fire

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do anybody have scales? How many A4 pages (standard xero paper) I can put to up 100g? It looks like next DOOM isse will be about 35 pages, and all forgein letters 100g-350g cost over two beers (7PLN), when 50-100g cost one beer (3PLN)....
www.doomzine.bandcamp.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: