P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Zine editors
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
passetiermes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Zine editors Reply with quote

I noticed that there are some zine editors on this forum, so I decided to ask your experiences of making zines.
I made one issue of Shadow Dancing zine. The first interviews were sent in 93 to numerous bands, but answers came only from certain Finnish bands (Astaroth, Lubricunt, Mythos, Charon, As Serenity Fades). Soon it was 95 and the zine still had not materialized, so I decided to send new interviews.
Unfortunately once again most were left unanswered, so in the end I had interviews with Morningstar, Unholy, Centinex, I Came From Darkness- zine, Adornment and some others. In late 95 the zine was finally printed in staggering 50 copies (still some left!).
Soon after me and a friend of mine started working on issue #2. When making the first issue I explained to myself that bands don´t answer because it is the first issue, so they have doubts that it will never be published etc. When the rate of getting replies for the second issue remained low, I realised that maybe there´s something wrong with the questions Razz .
Interviews were made with Mortiis, Arcana, Niko Sirkiä, Costa Stoios, Ved Buens Ende, Tiermes and maybe some others. When it was time to print issue #2, we realised that we don´t have any money for printing, so the issue two remained unpublished. Soon after that I lost interest in making a zine got back to be a fan.
So Kängnäve, Wilhelm and others. What are/were the best and worst parts of your time editing a zine. Cool contacts/death threats etc? Time consuming and expensive yes, but anything else?
Stygian Shadows 'zine

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, as zine editor through the last 11 years had good and bad experiences with bands. At starting my english was absolutely shit so the interviews were short and were about typical things. But I was surprised when bands like Bal-Sagoth or Primordial answered fast my questions, they appreciated the interest or what, I don't know but I was very proud to add these bands to our debut issue in 1996. In that time I was very interested in norwegian black metal scene and some of this genre also answered fast like Helheim, Aeternus, while others never answered nothing, though all letters were sent with hidden 1-2 USD instead of the IRC as was hard to get here this thing.
Best partners for interviews were these: Desaster, Black Witchery, Pentacle, Gospel Of The Horns, Morbosidad, Witchburner, etc…
Often bands denied to answer the before agreed interviews, maybe they did not like the questions as I written provocative questions concerning family/black metal true or not true thing and other interest topics…
In these months we (One of my friends and me) work on our 15th issue which is the last before the final issue. As our zien were become more known in the last years we had less bad experiencs than in the beginning, our latest issues were always printed around on 80-124 pages and the interviews/reviews were long and informatives and the fans liked our work fortunately.
Some of you know our zine but the rest probably not as we do it always on our native language - hungarian, it’s a special mission as in Hungary no big scene, no many real fans so the circulation never was over 400 copies but was available (beside Hungary) in Slovakia, Ukraine and Romania as there are hungarian speaking population too!
Hellfire Commando

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best part: seeing people getting into bands after reading their interviews/reviews in the 'zine, people actually writing you (snail mail correspondence!), doing hands-on work with the layout, digging for ancient bands and band members, releasing the damn thing after months of work, discovering new bands, getting to know new people, etc...

Worst part: shitty/non-sense demos received (and having to listen to them while you could be listening to your own favorite albums), writing interviews and people not answering them (or "forgetting"), bands getting pissed because you don't want to interview them, answering to tons of e-mails and that's pretty much it!

As for cool contacts, you do get to make alot! I got in touch with hundreds of amazing people that made me discover even more metal. It's such a great experience! Time consuming, yes, but well worth it.
avrlabel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really depends on band you chose to interview...Some of band members are nothing alse than fucking mercenery and shit-eaters and they arent interested in small or xerox zines that are printed in 100 copies.Its normally that bands from Century Media (I name this label only as a sample) will never answer on question that send some man from Russia that create some zine..I always spoke for Norwegian bands and their members that mostly of them are nothing than bastards...You think that members of Gorgoroth,Darkthrone or Mayhem will answer on your snail mail...They havent practice that in 90’ why they will do that now when they have enough money to have normal life and they dont need presentation in some fucking xerox shit from Macedonia or Singapore.Bands that brother from Stygian Shadows have mention will always answer on question even send to you their promo stuff becouse they are into the underground circle from the begining when the paper and snail mail was the only solution for propaganda of their music.Also some band members are idiots and trendy bastard who dont know anything about music they played..In my zine I always ask some unussual questions related to everything but mostly related to the satanism which is the root of the hole black/death metal underground and just few of persons and dedicated ones answer on it.
Im from Montenegro and I have released one issue of my zine..now that issue is sold out.It was xerox and I have spread 150 copies.You really think that one better know act will answer on question for zine from the Montenero?They havent even heard for that country.So we must chose which bands to interview cause some of them beside their musical quality havent deserve to be the part of some small xerox zine..The object of attention of small underground zines should be small underground bands becouse they are more dedicated than mainstream ones who have enough money to make a book about themselves and sold it in 10 times bigger number than your zine will ever be.
The good things:You are in contact with great and dedicated persons who will always help and support you and which you will also support (not just if the metal music is in talk),you dig the great underground bands from the world ,you learn the procedure of cut n paste,and many other stuff that satisfy you of course if you are absolutely into this stuff,you spread the hellish music....
Bad things:You can be ripp-off by some bastards,you will received tones of materials in which you arent interested,you dont like the material but you canot write what you want becouse band think that if they send you the promo you must praise them, but the fuching shit is the waiting for bands to answer or similiar things..I hate when band is reckless.Also I hate to received Cd-r but always review that shits...still you can found something interesting that you received on fucking Cd-r...And i think that this isnt time consuming becouse I enjoy in fucking cut n paste,hand write ,tapes and other shit...
Azmoth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avrlabel : you are Milovan ? If then, I answered an intie for you, would have like to see the final result !

As for myself, I ran Darkness Treasures Zine from 2000 to 2003. Three issues released.
Best times : getting answers from bands I wanted to ask questions, getting contacts, some of them sending free material just to share some local bands. I speak mainly for south american people there. Getting unattended promo stuff, sometimes becoming cult !!!
Trading zines with other zines from the other side of the world...

Not so good memories : I mainly stopped the zine because the label was asking too much time. Receiving tons of useless boring stupid fun grind promos, instead of good things. Spending too much time to review these shits instead of spending some time of worthy and horny stuff. Some bands who never replied the interviews. Bands/labels ripping me off (thank you Mr Macedonian pride Baltak...)
Avrlabel is right concerning big bands. I had a contact who could make it with Darkthrone, I sent an interview to Fenriz and got one the worst interview from my zine. I was no big name, to big print (300 copies)
And a bad thing was that I got almost no recognition in France. The zine was written in english, and as 90% of French can read english only if they read Slayer Mag.... Anyway in France, making a zine nowadays is almost useless. Mostly 100 readers... even if it's written in french.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my first rag in 1996 after reading Petrified for the first time. My fondest memories of doing a zine were the contacts I made with different maniacs from around the world, some of which I still keep today. Some bands like Desaster I covered before they were known to anyone until the time they peaked in popularity, so it was a fun and interesting experience to have followed certain bands to see where they would end up.

I don’t think I ever had any problems with anyone not answering my interviews. I made allot of contacts with people before I did my zine, so I knew most of those I interviewed anyway. The only thing I didn’t like about doing a Xerox zine was having to slave away for hours on end in front of a photo copy machine, especially when it jammed up and made a fucking mess out of everything....

....so I went pro print with Gallery of the Grotesque #4. I liked not having to spend hours a day just getting a couple of zines together, stapling them and what not, but on the other hand it was fucking expensive to print the fourth issue because you have to print an X amount of units when doing it pro; not one-on-demand. For a 128 page zine the cost really adds up.
avrlabel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes im Milovan...First issue is sold out now and for week or two i will print second so i can also print copy of the first for you if you want?
avrlabel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baltak is rip-off?
Thats the balkanian shitty work..You surely have heard for some Serbian bastards also...
Azmoth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@avrlabel : yes sure ! tell me, also we could make some trade. Send me an email then.

One of my proud moments with Darkness Treasures : being "killer-quoted" in Canadian Assault.
Azmoth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

avrlabel wrote:
Baltak is rip-off?
Thats the balkanian shitty work..You surely have heard for some Serbian bastards also...

Baltak answered the interview, sent a picture with his wonderful sneakers and macedonian helmet, I had to photoshop the stuff to make it not that shitty... He was to pay for an ad and make a trade with the zine, and when the stuff printed and trade sent, no more answer... He's living in Australia, that's not even sure he has macedonian blood... Certainly not Alexander the Great macedonian blood !

The only serbian rip off is Miki, and I've not been ripped off by him because I always wait to receive the part of the trades with people I don't know ! I know nobody in Serbia won't go and crush his mouth because this guy is a policeman ! Stranie !
avrlabel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok.I will contact you when i print this new shit..I can trade my second issue and i will send you a copy of the first.
I heard for that Miki and i tell you that in my opinion isnt problem to crush his face even if it is policeman..Its shitty that me an my friends live in Montenegro... Smile
Stygian Shadows 'zine

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azmoth:

Hopefully it's not a mistake but I think you're Mr. T. Bernollin, right? If yes I say a big hail to you my friend!

I'm a fucking old fart as forgot to mention that best thing in this so-called scene was to get many friends from all corners of the world, to make great trades for hungarian or other stuffs while the worse things were to be ripped off those idiot philippino guys and some other bigger ug labels.
But in total it's a great thing to make a zine and be part of the black/death/thrash metal scene, I listen metal for 21 years now and I still can enjoy it, but I'm already tired of the new black metal bands, to be honest in these months I discover again the old thrash metal releases from the depths of 80's underground...

As for Baltak, I did interview with the guy around in 1998 concerning his Buio Omega band and he answered fast and was no any problem,...
Astaroth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The amount of effort and work that goes into one issue is huge. It depends on what format, style and how many pages you do that determines the final result of course.

The best thing is seeing the final product and seeing people's reactions - be it negative or positive. It's the same principle as making music: you're doing it for yourself primarily.

As for Baltak - I placed an anti Baltak flyer in my first issue. Stupid band, stupid views (you cannot change history) and above all crap music.

Issue 3 is on the cards so expect a lot more controversy from this opinionated arsehole.
avrlabel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Baltak have stupid ideology but have some good moments in music in my opinion..But surely I canot listen nationalistic shit...
avrlabel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and yes the reactions are the good thing that we have with zines no matter is it praising or not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: