P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Collecting CD/LP's NOW < Collecting 10 Years Ago
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J001

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Collecting CD/LP's NOW < Collecting 10 Years Ago Reply with quote

Is it just me or does it seem like it was much easier to collect (black metal) 10 years ago?
What I mean is... It seemed much easier to keep track of new bands, new releases, news, etc. back in like 2000 or even the later 90's (early 90's was a little too early for me but the same applies).

It just seems like black metal has seen such a rapid influx in the volume of bands, new releases, new labels/distros over the past 10 years, it's crazy!

Even just 5 years ago it seemed so much easier to keep track and stay on top of everything that is going on and "who is who" in black metal. I used to know when all the new releases were coming and all the bands, distros etc..

Now it seems to me in at least the last few years, it's so much harder to keep up to date with everything. I notice I have really fallen steps behind in the sense of new bands/releases etc. I just feel like I'm not in the loop like I used to be.

Maybe because I dont care as much anymore than when I was 20 or I dont have the same kind of free time. Or maybe because I dont spend the money like I used to. Or perhaps because black metal is growing larger and larger and there are more BM bands than ever before?

Do any of you feel the same way? Notice how things seemed easier to collect and keep up with in the older days?
Candlemass

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Collecting for the sake of collecting is one of the dumbest things ever imo, but to each their own I guess.
J001

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Candlemass wrote:
Collecting for the sake of collecting is one of the dumbest things ever imo, but to each their own I guess.

Well "collecting" can be used for a lack of better words. I'm just talking about buying CD's / LP's in general.

Believe me, I have some fucked up records that would be worth $100's+ (if in better condition) today.
However, because I'm such a listener I was never worried about keeping things "perfect" and "pretty" just to "collect" them! So dont confuse what I mean by "collecting". I have Mutiilation records worn to the ground becuase they have been played so hard (and NOT just sitting on a shelf going unplayed)

LOL- in a sense I'm not the guy who keeps the action figures in the box. I take them out and play!
jerry666

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i liked trying to get cds/lps a lot more 10 yrs ago it was superhard/frustrating trying to get stuff back then especially lps, now its super easy as long as u got the cash u will get that cd/lp kinda boring now if ya ask me
throneofmight

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

more expensive without doubt...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GoldenBull

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swear on my own life that pizza tasted better in 1993. Sex felt better too.
thrashbeast

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ten years ago...

It was much easier to get a hold of certain releases. Even new albums were on the shelves for awhile. No one was hoarding items to trade for even more rare items or trying to profit off of anything. Message forums didn't have gay threads with links to see how much their collectibles were selling for. No one was asking what this or that was worth. You never saw a post when something sold out or following posts talking about how fast it sold out.

New vinyl was a rarity. It was also rare if any of it sold in the stores (if they carried it). There were no die hard editions, hand-numbered jackets, patches and posters included, etc.

No one collected vinyl. The ones that were purchasing vinyl were long time collectors and older music fans who had done so for years.

CDs/vinyl were never looked at for their potential worth down the road. Especially when it came to metal. eBay was nothing like it is today. Even rare items sold for only a fraction of what they do now.

Trading was a lot better. People weren't afraid to get rid of something. They weren't holding onto a particular release for the sole purpose of being able to make money off it. It was more about the music you wanted to hear and not about value.

While new fans who have come along since then won't admit it, it's obvious to those who've been around awhile that the appeal of metal nowadays mostly revolves around the potential money making opportunities from sold out releases and the special collectibles and packaging that many labels are luring in customers with that most of the time generally foreshadows the music on the release itself. I can probably only count on one hand the number of labels who don't indulge in manufacturing special crap for no other purpose than to make a quick buck and willfully contribute to turning this genre of music into a market for collectors.
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we also have to consider the ability to record and actually release music today is far cheaper and easier than compared to 10 or more years ago.

If I want to record a song today, I can do it at home, I can basically spend nothing cause I can spread the music digitally and instantly. Now figure in a few thousand other people with the same thoughts etc etc, too much to keep track of.

In the old days I suppose there were some costs involved, and this probably eliminated a lot of people right from the start from even trying to spread their music.
PxRxPx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoldenBull wrote:

Definitely the best year for some fucking and a good slice. Hands down.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoldenBull wrote:

You were fucking @ 13?!?!? I was trying...
deathevocation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thrashbeast wrote:
Ten years ago...

Pretty much on the mark here.
asmael LeBouc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're loaded as fuck you can get anything you want. There's no merit at all

10 years ago no one gave a shit about EAL
Can you imagine that
Brutal Death was the shit...

TRADE / WANT LIST ! ! ! :
http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12006/
Good sellers/traders: ChapelOfDoom, thetrueevil/ GoldenBull, Hobophobic, NWN PROD
Endless Morbidity

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember Mortuary Drape CD's selling for next to nothing on eBay 10 years ago. I'm talking under $10 for "All the Witches Dance".
Morbid69

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master's Hammer stuff was cheap too
adrian5118

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asmael LeBouc wrote:
Brutal Death is shit

Ultimately, "bedroom" black metal created in Audacity and Toys 'R' Us microphones have destroyed that concept. Who cares though..? the only negative aspect for me now is having to fork out limbs for releases from back than. I don't collect anything, I play everything I have or trade it away.
http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=840646#840646
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: