P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Good phono palyers and recievers?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jacy Catlin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Good phono palyers and recievers? Reply with quote

Hey,
My record player dates to the 70s and the brand is Project One. It's been a decent player, but I'd like to upgrade. When I look online at record players seems like there are a few for $100-200 and then the prices go WAY up. I'd also like to get a new/used receiver. I have a nice Onkyo 5.1 surround receiver for watching movies, but I'd like to go with a 2 channel stereo unit for LPs. Anyone know any hot tips for good LP players/stereo receivers which can be bought new at a decent price, or older models which are proven players that can be commonly picked up used? Thanks!
-Jacy
NWN PROD

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just have a shitty Sony one. Pioneer DJ turntables are readily available at online stores.

Web: nwnprod.com

NWN carries all IBP releases.
IBP carries all NWN releases.

DESECRATOR777

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a really expensive one, but try some garage sales and the salvation army for a good cheap one!
Goab

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Rega record player four months ago and it has surpassed by far my expectations. I was behind a Technics or Sony but the guy from a shop suggested me to check out Rega as a suitable record player if you're a vinyl freak. It's a very sober player, almost no functions but every cent you pay is worth the incredible sound fidelity. The only problem is the price. I was awaiting for ages to change my old turnable and once the moment arrived I dind't mind to spent a good sum on it. I paid near $615 for the record player and nearly $240 for the needble/cartidge (there are some of these that are cheaper). Maybe it sounds insane but considering that there are records on my collection that almost cost the same I tought that my LPs deserve such a treatment.
cannibal_riot

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Technics SL1210, like the DJ's use! Its a no frills, functional warhorse, I have had it for about 5 years, its very user friendly and I have no complaints.
Jacy Catlin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work in DVD video so I know something about DVD players, and with DVD players you can pay a lot for added features but typically a cheapo gives just as good picture and sound. I'd worry a DJ turntable would be higher priced for features added for DJs and not just listening, but DJ ones are built more solid for sure. There is a huge amount of stuff available due to the hifi analog revival with $5000 LP players and $30,000 all tube amps. The problem is noone is making good mid price 2 channel stereos any more as 2 channel is thought of as a budget item. You can get a really nice 5.1 receiver with a subwoofer for $400ish, but you are paying for the extra channels you will never use for a stereo LP...
Jacy Catlin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cannibal_riot wrote:
I use a Technics SL1210, like the DJ's use! Its a no frills, functional warhorse, I have had it for about 5 years, its very user friendly and I have no complaints.

thank you, I will check these out. Goab your's sounds super nice but I think my wife would kill me! I do agree though that $1000 for something you will use daily for many years is a very good investment, and yes especially when sometimes you are paying $100 just to have a record, it better sound good!
Jacy Catlin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goab wrote:
I bought a Rega record player four months ago and it has surpassed by far my expectations.

These look really good as well. I like that each has upgrade items. I just noticed my first "New Topic" post to the board I managed to spell "players" "palyers".....and English is my native language Embarassed
Ancient_Tyranny

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently I use an
Technics SL-BD20D Turntable + Technics SA-5160 Receiver (80īs), works fine and sounds good with my old B&O speakers

If you want something special check this stuff out:
http://www.reussenzehn.de/
Jacy Catlin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ancient_Tyranny wrote:

If you want something special check this stuff out:
http://www.reussenzehn.de/

Drooool. If it sounds half as good as it looks, I'm there, as soon as I sell a kidney. Just imagine how crisp and clean live Beherit bootleg LPs would sound on this Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goab wrote:
I bought a Rega record player four months ago and it has surpassed by far my expectations. I was behind a Technics or Sony but the guy from a shop suggested me to check out Rega as a suitable record player if you're a vinyl freak. It's a very sober player, almost no functions but every cent you pay is worth the incredible sound fidelity. The only problem is the price. I was awaiting for ages to change my old turnable and once the moment arrived I dind't mind to spent a good sum on it. I paid near $615 for the record player and nearly $240 for the needble/cartidge (there are some of these that are cheaper). Maybe it sounds insane but considering that there are records on my collection that almost cost the same I tought that my LPs deserve such a treatment.

I as well have a Rega, Planar 2 model and it's fucking great. I run it through a older Harmon/Kardon 230E amp and it's sound is killer. I spent way too long putting up with shitty stereo systems that I figured it was time to do my collection justice and I got an incredible deal on the shit too.
Without a doubt I would recommend a Rega turntable though.
A friend of mine had an old Marantz turntable too that I've seen around a few times relatively cheap and it sounded excellent considering it's cost.
Antichristhammerfist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cannibal_riot wrote:

yes i would agree with this also having dj'd with turntables for years. technics were BBC standard equipment in the analogue days.
budget wise any reasonable dance "dj' type turntable will do. you can also play around with some of the features like reverse and pitch to make those records even more hell bound satanic.
carrioncrow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a PROJECT Debut III belt drive turntable with a speed box...you get the best sound with a belt drive unit...
Bestial Devastator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cannibal_riot wrote:

I had mine since 1988, never had any problems with it, it fucking rules !
duff138

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacy Catlin wrote:
Goab wrote:
I bought a Rega record player four months ago and it has surpassed by far my expectations.

These look really good as well. I like that each has upgrade items. I just noticed my first "New Topic" post to the board I managed to spell "players" "palyers".....and English is my native language Embarassed

you spelled receivers wrong too! Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: