P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Bands: the point of re-releases
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conservationist
banned

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:43 am    Post subject: Bands: the point of re-releases Reply with quote

I see bands getting this wrong, and so I'd suggest a contractual modification...

The point of re-releases is to get people to buy your original release. It's a bonus if they like the re-release, but that's a minority case since it rarely happens.

A better plan is to tell your label this:

"Yes, we want royalties on our first release from 1992, Sodomized in the Cemetery, but we'll request nothing for the first pressing but sample copies from our newest, Buggered in the Ossuary (2013). In exchange, we require that you re-print Sodomized in the Cemetery when it sells out."

That way, there's two cases:

1. The one you're hoping for: people love the new material that sounds just like it would have been if you could have done it the right way back in the day. More experience, more money, better connections, awesome! Thus you make nothing from the first 1,000 of these but get royalties after that. Your first album stays in print.

2. The one that's likely to happen: what you've "learned" is indoctrination and so your new album is forgettable and mentally disorganized like everything else in modern society. Fear not! The label gets a better deal on it, and you keep your first album in print so people can buy that instead, riding off the promotion for the new album.

The challenge is that metal is somewhat of a closed circle small group, and so when you release a classic, that group laps it up and no new fans are acquired. Then if the new album is not great... well, it shows why so many classic bands emerge, dump out a release, and then vanish without a trace.
Nocturnal Deathstrike

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Label drops from the face of the earth...
What now?
IXTAB
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Bands: the point of re-releases Reply with quote

Conservationist wrote:

The point of re-releases is to get people to buy your original release.

You lost me here. I thought the point of "re-releases" (re-issue, re-press, or both?) was to get people to buy the re-release.
3. Unidentified band photos and youtube links
4. Memes
5. Ebonics

e-mail ixtab[at]nwnprod[dot]com regarding forum account activation or problems
PeterVenkman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Bands: the point of re-releases Reply with quote

IXTAB wrote:
Conservationist wrote:

You lost me here. I thought the point of "re-releases" (re-issue, re-press, or both?) was to get people to buy the re-release.

Same here.
frostjunkie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Bands: the point of re-releases Reply with quote

Conservationist wrote:

No.

Do you just sit in your parents basement and fret over stuff like this all day?
BlutUndKrieg

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stupid thread. Its a simple case of supply and demand and any Intro to Business class will teach you that. If a band has made a popular resurgence and there is a demand for a sold out release then wouldn't it make sense for them to reissue it? Not only does it allow those who are late to the crowd get a chance to buy the album but it also helps lower the amount of bootlegs of said album.
dalecooper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm lost. Are you talking about reissues, 2nd pressings, or bands re-recording classic albums?
frostjunkie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlutUndKrieg wrote:
Stupid thread. Its a simple case of supply and demand and any Intro to Business class will teach you that. If a band has made a popular resurgence and there is a demand for a sold out release then wouldn't it make sense for them to reissue it? Not only does it allow those who are late to the crowd get a chance to buy the album but it also helps lower the amount of bootlegs of said album.

Or how about when the band themselves don't even condone the first press? I emailed Virus when the Black Flux LP re-release had just come out and this is the answer straight from them:
"it's the first time it's released with the approval of the band. Some
greek label did a lousy version without our consent a few
years back. So we ditched our label..."

Yup, stupid thread.
Mikael

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Conservationist, as you're often in tone; Just curious, ever had a label or were an active distributor? In a case not, ever made (a published) music or was part of an active band? Had an active written zine (no internet related)?
Fallen_Empire

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Bands: the point of re-releases Reply with quote

Conservationist wrote:

http://nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=773328#773328

Well I'll be.
Kojiri

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikael wrote:
So Conservationist, as you're often in tone; Just curious, ever had a label or were an active distributor? In a case not, ever made (a published) music or was part of an active band? Had an active written zine (no internet related)?

I'm guessing NO on all counts. But be damned if he can't have an opinion anyway based on tens of thousands of hours of online research.

Trade/Buy/Sell!: addo_of_nex, Black_Fire, bunyip, cannibal_riot, cursed blood, dawid, Deathammer, etdeath, wvrm
Ough

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What in the actual fuck?
Conservationist
banned

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IXTAB wrote:
I thought the point of "re-releases" (re-issue, re-press, or both?) was to get people to buy the re-release.

I was thinking more of generic re-issues. Band X puts out an album in 1992, then re-issues it in 2013. With those, it would seem to me that the most sensible strategy is to try to sell a lot of the OOP re-issue...

dalecooper wrote:
Are you talking about reissues, 2nd pressings, or bands re-recording classic albums?

Just re-issues. Like a death metal band records a classic back in 1992, and then wants to come back in 2013. Re-recording a classic album? Not even on my radar, although I can see the temptation with 20+ years of guitar practice and maybe a "real" recording budget finally.
eighthplague

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're ignoring the fact that the chances of a band having copies of an album that's 20+ years old and out of print are slim to none.

This is an extremely bizarre and impractical proposition to begin with.
VnholyCvntz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep this type of crap on your shit site Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: