P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Silk Screening vs. Fabric Printing ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Silk Screening vs. Fabric Printing ? Reply with quote

Apparently there's more than one way to skin a cat these days, or to put a design on a shirt as well. Smile

There is the traditional method of silk screening which most of us probably have closets full of shirts depicting the results of this method, and apparently there is a method these days of fabric printing ?... whatever it is called which is basically using a printer, like a computers, printing an image to a paper surface, however it would be to the fabric instead.

Anyone have results from this fabric printing method ? Is it a cheap way to lay down complex graphics that take way too many resources to silk screen ?, but results in a crappy and thin product ...or is it the revolutionary new advancement in technology that can allow even the basement bands to unleash full color complex and insanely detailed graphics on shirts for the cheap ?

I've only come aware of this fabric printing technique recently, and it is cheap. For $25 you can get a one off print, of basically any album cover full of multiple colors from what I've been told. I am quite curious, however I am rather skeptical as well, cause I have not seen any advanced bootlegs via ebay either which I assume would happen if this method worked so well ?

Any comments ? ...expiriences ?
Reed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you might be referring to offset printing. Offset is a form of lithography, where four plates are made and ran through a machine under the CMYK color scheme. This is how most full color shirts are printed.

Also, screen-printing, when done through right people can turn out looking the same. Although both aren't cheap when you start getting more than a couple of colors per shirt.
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy working at some local print shop, via email... after looking at the image I gave him told me about this printing process.

From his explanation it was basically as I said, like printing posters off your computer but onto a shirt instead. Apparently he will have some results tomorrow. No set up fee, no prep work that he wanted payment for like what seemed to be the process for screen printing.

It all sounds too easy. I don't know what else to say, guess the results will speak for themselves.
HotBlack

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curious to see how your samples turn out! ...post pics of the samples if you can
DeathLörd

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you are referring to "discharge screen printing". The fabric of the shirt is literally dyed to produce an image instead of printing on top of the fabric with ink.

http://dischargescreenprinting.com/
HotBlack

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeathLörd wrote:
I'm sure you are referring to "discharge screen printing". The fabric of the shirt is literally dyed to produce an image instead of printing on top of the fabric with ink.

http://dischargescreenprinting.com/

No, I think he is referring to Digital Textile Printing.

http://www.digitaltextile.com/equipment.htm#tshirt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: