P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Vinyl cleaning questions, opinions needed?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zbielak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my experience with vinyls , with all honesty I can say that only these ugly noisy washing machines are real - Nitty Gritty, Okki Nokii, Clearaudio - all other methods - be it carbon fibre brushes, or washing basins, apart from rough dust, hair etc surface removal they do merely a third to half of the real job - these just relocate the dirt and dust deeper down the groove. All dirt/dust etc. must be washed, loosened by liquid and sucked out under pressure with washing fluid. Sound difference can be truly startling after a good wash haha.
adrian5118

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: record Reply with quote

Heliogabalus wrote:
I never clean records. I have read so many nightmare stories
about clogged grooves, skipping etc. I bought Voivod's RRROOOOAAAAR
when it first came out, spun it hundreds of times and it still sounds perfect.
Warning: this advice may not be the way to go, but unless the record is really nasty I don't let anything touch them.
Listen to other suggestions here some sound well.....pretty sound.

That sounds like a static nightmare though. How's that sounding?
Heliogabalus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: record Reply with quote

adrian5118 wrote:
Heliogabalus wrote:
I never clean records. I have read so many nightmare stories
about clogged grooves, skipping etc. I bought Voivod's RRROOOOAAAAR
when it first came out, spun it hundreds of times and it still sounds perfect.
Warning: this advice may not be the way to go, but unless the record is really nasty I don't let anything touch them.
Listen to other suggestions here some sound well.....pretty sound.

That sounds like a static nightmare though. How's that sounding?

http://www.thematstore.com/cgi-bin/matstore/agora.cgi?page=anti_static/76.htm

A friend who worked at Sam's club gave me one of these. As a slave of that store he would stand 8-10 hours a day, he finally broke free and quit he snuggled this out. It's on the floor in front of the turntable. There is still a minute amount of static but not enough to be concerned with. Records sound great!
Noisehunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zbielak wrote:
From my experience with vinyls , with all honesty I can say that only these ugly noisy washing machines are real - Nitty Gritty, Okki Nokii, Clearaudio - all other methods - be it carbon fibre brushes, or washing basins, apart from rough dust, hair etc surface removal they do merely a third to half of the real job - these just relocate the dirt and dust deeper down the groove. All dirt/dust etc. must be washed, loosened by liquid and sucked out under pressure with washing fluid. Sound difference can be truly startling after a good wash haha.

Thumbs up for the words of wisdom, zbielak. Don't forget that static is not a problem anymore after cleaning. And yes, the results are usually startling also soundwise. Have experienced this with Cadence Okki Nokki and Clearaudio Smart Matrix -cleaned records played through systems that most of here do not even dare to dream of. The results are also audible with cheaper systems. Have experienced that as well.

400€ doesn't really make that much per record if one has even collection of few hundred records. Though I can imagine one's interest to spend that kind of money to RCM if the stereo itself is cheaper.
maranatha

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by maranatha on Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:05 am; edited 1 time in total
themanzig3000

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moose of Doom wrote:

I agree the carbon fiber brush is also some of the best money that I have spent.
Is the cleaning fluid alcohol based (I'm guessing it is because it evaporates)? If so, have you noticed any issues with physical or audio degradation of the vinyl. I guess that is somewhat of a stupid question because you are still using it, but I have read that alcohol based is not good, however no reasons were given.

It does have an alcohol base, but I haven't noticed any problems at all. Perhaps I'm misguided putting my trust in MoFi. Here's the fluid I'm talking about: http://www.musicdirect.com/product/83025
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: