P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Vinyl cleaning questions, opinions needed?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moose of Doom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: Vinyl cleaning questions, opinions needed? Reply with quote

I was wondering what others prefer to use to clean their records of fingerprints.

The research I've done suggests that retail record cleaning solutions are usually the best way to go, but in a search of the forum it was suggested to not use alcohol based solutions. Why should alcohol based solutions not be used?

I've also found information that high-percentage isopropylnol is safe to use, but see the line above. If isopropylnol is safe to use, I know that after it dries it will leave a film (this is based on work experience). An alcohol like methanol is easier to work with in preventing a film after drying, has anyone used methanol on their vinyl?

I am currently experimenting with electronic-grade isopropynol on some crappy vinyl, and as soon as I get my hands on some methanol I will experiment with it.
If anyone cares, I'll post any results.
So far I can say that the isopropynol removed the fingerprints, but I do not know if sound quality was affected, or if any adverse reactions will be noted in the future.

If you have any experience with cleaning virgin vinyl vs. non-virgin vinyl, I think that a note of those experiences would be beneficial.

In my opinion, cleaning should be done on an as-needed basis. As long as one is careful in the handling, storage and dust control, cleaning should be a very rare occurance. Therefore, I will not be spending the money to buy a record cleaning machine.
masters_throne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a post like this also in mind a few days ago. I was playing my Ancient MLP, it was full of dust. I watched some youtube videos and was reading about cleaning machines etc... - after the ancient lp was finished, the dust was away and it looked like new. so, people should play their vinyls, instead of collecting only, haha...

sorry, for not giving a real help, but I am eager what's to come within this thread...

= KILL I =
= KILL II =
Scott K

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about taking mine to a local record shop to get my Live in Leipzig LP cleaned...it's got some fingerprints on it. Hopefully they have one of those machines.
morbid palace

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

masters_throne wrote:
I had a post like this also in mind a few days ago. I was playing my Ancient MLP, it was full of dust. I watched some youtube videos and was reading about cleaning machines etc... - after the ancient lp was finished, the dust was away and it looked like new. so, people should play their vinyls, instead of collecting only, haha...

sorry, for not giving a real help, but I am eager what's to come within this thread...

yeah, just let the pick-up take all the dust, it works fine.
Portentum

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried it with zippo-gas and a soft (unused) tissue on an old non-metal shit lp with fresh sausage-fingerprints and have to say it worked well.
adrian5118

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well from my experience, washing LPs with a cloth/brush and any vinyl solution will scratch the vinyl even if it is a very small amount because it moves the dust around until the brush/cloth is pulled up. I have yet to afford a cleaning machine so I dunno about that. Do you guys play dusty vinyl? I have never played any... which may shock some of you. Laughing

edit: forgot to mention that you have to be EXTREMELY careful to not apply too much pressure to the vinyl surface while cleaning to avoid that. And I was reading that you specifically should not use lighter fluid as it's damaging to the vinyl's surface.
Skoll

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lemon pulp.
Psicoterror

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would happen if I use regular alcohol to clean my lps?
samuxul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v2EdxTUoA4
adrian5118

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psicoterror wrote:
What would happen if I use regular alcohol to clean my lps?

Search that on Google. I'm pretty sure that is way too strong for vinyl.
Bestial Aggressor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

acid_orgy wrote:
I use this

Pretty long winded but sure does the job. How much did this cost you? Think i'll stick to lighter fluid regardless Wink.
samuxul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bestial Aggressor wrote:
acid_orgy wrote:
I use this

Pretty long winded but sure does the job. How much did this cost you? Think i'll stick to lighter fluid regardless Wink.

I don't really have that machine. Those are about 400 . Very Happy
themanzig3000

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I can't afford a record cleaning machine, I use an Audioquest carbon fiber brush for dust (best $20 I ever spent). For wet cleaning, I use a Mobile Fidelity Brush ($20) and Mobile Fidelity ONE Cleaning Fluid. The fluid is a no rinse design; you clean the record, and the fluid evaporates. I'm very happy with this setup.
Moose of Doom

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

themanzig3000 wrote:
Since I can't afford a record cleaning machine, I use an Audioquest carbon fiber brush for dust (best $20 I ever spent). For wet cleaning, I use a Mobile Fidelity Brush ($20) and Mobile Fidelity ONE Cleaning Fluid. The fluid is a no rinse design; you clean the record, and the fluid evaporates. I'm very happy with this setup.

I agree the carbon fiber brush is also some of the best money that I have spent.
Is the cleaning fluid alcohol based (I'm guessing it is because it evaporates)? If so, have you noticed any issues with physical or audio degradation of the vinyl. I guess that is somewhat of a stupid question because you are still using it, but I have read that alcohol based is not good, however no reasons were given.
Heliogabalus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:23 am    Post subject: record Reply with quote

I never clean records. I have read so many nightmare stories
about clogged grooves, skipping etc. I bought Voivod's RRROOOOAAAAR
when it first came out, spun it hundreds of times and it still sounds perfect.
Warning: this advice may not be the way to go, but unless the record is really nasty I don't let anything touch them.
Listen to other suggestions here some sound well.....pretty sound.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: