P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

What's the hype about vinyl?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: What's the hype about vinyl? Reply with quote

Vinyl records won't play any more after an indefinite amount of playing them. You have to flip them by yourself, to keep listening to the record. You have to take care of their overall condition and temperature all the time.
What makes vinyl better than CD format?
masters_throne

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's still the sound, the feeling and the look at a great record and its cover...

= KILL I =
= KILL II =
minge-eater

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) i prefer the sound on a vinyl to digital.

2) vinyl is a good investment

3) the artwork on vinyl is way better than a shitty little booklet

need i go on

TRUE KVNT
Descension twat of the year
NWN PROD

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add to Minge-eater's comments.

1. Presentation and aesthetic value of bigger artwork, LP jacket, poster, etc. that you can include with vinyl.

2. Playing length of each side. Good bands arrange songs for each side so each side is its own entity. The first Cirith Ungol is a very good example of this.

3. Different frequency range = different sound.

I do like CDs for cars and casual listening while working.

Web: nwnprod.com

NWN carries all IBP releases.
IBP carries all NWN releases.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do agree that vinyl artwork kicks CD booklet in the ass, but is it really worth the trouble (always keep an eye on the record's temperature, play it not too many times and with extreme caution, flipping sides by yourself)?
As for the double sided issue, I'd agree with you on that, but any release at all is an entity for itself, having it splitted in half will mostly harm the listening experience.
Just my two cents, anyhow.
NWN PROD

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing some of my records for 15+ years without any of them wearing out. Vinyl records do not wear out as easily as you might think. Just make sure to keep your needle sharp and records clean.

Did you know that CDs have a shelf life that's much sorter than vinyl? Not that it matters after your dead...

Temperature? You must live in a really hot place because it's hard to warp a record unless you leave it in your car in the middle of the summer.

Vinyl = real listening

CD = easy listening.

Both serve their intended purpose.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vinyl is the commercial format on which the music reproduction is the closest possible to the actual recording.

Analog recordings --> Analog reproduction !

Even digital recordings sound better on vinyl, the music sounds hotter and that's why vinyl is the perfect format to listen to Metal music.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can see the music Shocked
Mutta

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only vinyl is real !
thrashbeast

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every audio format has its advantages and disadvantages. I think it's pretty stupid to single out a particular format. Although, it inevitably will come down to the listener's personal preference.

With that being said, I think vinyl definitely is a little hyped these days. How can you deny this? The thing is, the rising demand has little to due with the sound quality or the aesthetics throughout the packaging and so on. Unfortunately, people are into it now because it's popular and trendy, it's collectible and limited, and more often than not these days, those who prefer CDs are looked down upon as not being true to the scene and are fooled into thinking that they aren't getting the ultimate listening experience on their little silver discs.

I tend to buy the majority of music on CD and cassette. CDs are more affordable and more convenient to listen to, store and transport. Cassettes have those same high points and you get the addition of analog sound. I still buy vinyl, but I usually only purchase albums that have exclusive or bonus tracks that can't be found elsewhere, particular releases that I really love, or most anything death metal. That's probably my favorite music to listen to on wax and what sounds best to me. I'm sorry, I can't subscribe to the notion that EVERYTHING sounds better on vinyl. There are a lot of factors that come into place especially having to do with the listener's stereo system. Live shit, old poorly recorded demos, noise music, drone, necro black metal shit. I usually don't hear much of a difference in those types of recordings no matter what format they're on.

I'd like to know where all of the vinyl maniacs that are around nowadays were ten years ago? No one gave a shit about vinyl. Hardly anyone pressed it, the few online distros that were around didn't carry it, the stores didn't carry it. Heh, what they did carry sat on the shelves for years . It just makes me wonder about people you see now that are all about it. Where did this sudden interest come from?
NWN PROD

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd like to know where all of the vinyl maniacs that are around nowadays were ten years ago? No one gave a shit about vinyl. Hardly anyone pressed it, the few online distros that were around didn't carry it, the stores didn't carry it. Heh, what they did carry sat on the shelves for years . It just makes me wonder about people you see now that are all about it. Where did this sudden interest come from?

Old metal is trendy right now. You should see the 16 yr old kids in LA with hightop white sneakers wearing Exumer shirts. I guess it could be worse.

Nocturnal Deathstrike

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I started listening to metal, vinyl was the format the stores did literally throw away. I mean, you could buy albums for 5DM while you paid 25-30DM for a CD. You could find metal vinyl collection wise at 2nd hand record stores since people sold all their vinyl to buy CDīs. So it was easy to buy a whole discography of a band at the same time for near nothing,
So, me with my little money at that time buyed vinyl only because it was the cheapest format.
Even Nuclear Blast pumped out vinyl and cassettes for 1-5 DM. I remember buying surprise lotīs of 5 vinyls for 10DM and things like this.
Some years ago they invented some vinyl only mailorder where they repressed some of their old stuff and sold vinyl for collectors prices.
brown growth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NWN PROD wrote:
Quote:

Old metal is trendy right now. You should see the 16 yr old kids in LA with hightop white sneakers wearing Exumer shirts. I guess it could be worse.

I'm 16 and listen to old metal. You can't blame me for thinking most modern sounding bands are garbage.

I'm also very far from trendy, especially with music. And if it makes a difference, I don't try to "dress metal", which seems to popular among the "metal" kiddies. I wear some band shirts, but mostly just plain ones, some shorts in the summer, jeans in the winter and birkenstocks (they're fucking comfortable).

I know your comment wasn't aimed at me, but it's unfair to say all 16 year old kids who listen to metal do it because it's "cool". There are a few of us out there. I don't know any personally, but I'm sure theres some other ones that exist.

(Sorry for the rant)

I also prefer vinyl. But for music with a lot of quieter passages, CDs can be better in terms of no unwanted sound, but I'd rather have the full, blended beautiful vinyl sound, even it means some pops coming out in the mix. Also, the I'd rather have a big 12'' peice of cardboard with kickass artword then some flimsy 5" peice of paper in a plastic case. That shit sucks.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the fact that I can't skip around, or that skipping around is at least a hell of a lot more work. I think people often just skim through a cd and decide that they've "heard" it, then make a snap judgement. With vinyl, I think the listener can be more likely to really be engaged with the listening experience.
brown growth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doomcrotch wrote:
I like the fact that I can't skip around, or that skipping around is at least a hell of a lot more work. I think people often just skim through a cd and decide that they've "heard" it, then make a snap judgement. With vinyl, I think the listener can be more likely to really be engaged with the listening experience.

I agree, thats another good thing. You build a better ..."relationship" (for lack of better words) when you own a vinyl copy. You probobly will give it more listens and let it grow on you as opposed to just puting it away in a file on your computer and forgetting about it, or puting it on the cd rack and letting it collect dust. Kickass artword is also usually gives you drive to give it another chance (at least to me it does). I'm not an artfag, art always comes second for me (just look at the fucking AGGRESSION - Skeleton... LP), but thats what always does it for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: