P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

ebay now totally worthless for record shopping
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IXTAB
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: ebay now totally worthless for record shopping Reply with quote

Last night I noticed that the option for browsing a musical genre (like metal) on ebay was completely missing. Customer support told me today that they removed the option to browse/search music by genre. So basically, it seems that ebay is completely worthless unless you are looking for an exact record/CD/whatever. If you just want to browse for metal records, apparently you have to browse all 300,000+ records from all genres. Now THAT'S retarded.
3. Unidentified band photos and youtube links
4. Memes
5. Ebonics

e-mail ixtab[at]nwnprod[dot]com regarding forum account activation or problems
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I never viewed ebay as a place to browse for something to just happen upon anyways. It has always kinda been the last ditch effort place to get something that can no longer be got anywhere else.

Case in point, I'm either always looking for Funeral Mist - Salvation DLP there or things like Barathrum - Infernal CD etc etc

Never really considered the entire ebay site to be like a store myself. I would never have noticed this issue. Razz
GHOAT

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: ebay now totally worthless for record shopping Reply with quote

IXTAB wrote:
So basically, it seems that ebay is completely worthless unless you are looking for an exact record/CD/whatever.

99% of the time this is how I look on eBay for records. I have my wantlist and I search each artist. Rarely will I just browse randomly unless I am super bored.

That said, it still sucks.
IXTAB
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is (was) always the best way to find bargains.
4. Memes
5. Ebonics

Kuravilu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: ebay now totally worthless for record shopping Reply with quote

IXTAB wrote:
Last night I noticed that the option for browsing a musical genre (like metal) on ebay was completely missing. Customer support told me today that they removed the option to browse/search music by genre. So basically, it seems that ebay is completely worthless unless you are looking for an exact record/CD/whatever. If you just want to browse for metal records, apparently you have to browse all 300,000+ records from all genres. Now THAT'S retarded.

I don't want to insult your intelligence but just choose MUSIC > RECORDS and then type METAL on *FIND*, press enter and voila!!!!!!!! Razz
IXTAB
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: ebay now totally worthless for record shopping Reply with quote

Kuravilu wrote:
IXTAB wrote:

I don't want to insult your intelligence but just choose MUSIC > RECORDS and then type METAL on *FIND*, press enter and voila!!!!!!!! Razz

Yeah, that's a good solution. I always thought that by doing that you would only get records/CDs that had the word "metal" in the listing title like this one...

http://cgi.ebay.com/JOHN-FOXX-In-Mysterious-Ways-1985-Metal-Beat-ULTRAVOX_W0QQitemZ150391305439

I didn't realize it includes everything in the genre as well. Thanks for pointing out what should have been obvious.
4. Memes
5. Ebonics

Kojiri

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: ebay now totally worthless for record shopping Reply with quote

GHOAT wrote:
IXTAB wrote:
So basically, it seems that ebay is completely worthless unless you are looking for an exact record/CD/whatever.

99% of the time this is how I look on eBay for records. I have my wantlist and I search each artist. Rarely will I just browse randomly unless I am super bored.

That said, it still sucks.

This.

Trade/Buy/Sell!: addo_of_nex, Black_Fire, bunyip, cannibal_riot, cursed blood, dawid, Deathammer, etdeath, wvrm
vorfeed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, the best way to use Ebay is to set up saved searches for your wants, and check your email frequently. You'd be surprised at what shows up on Buy It Now... the quick and patient can find great bargains that way.
Evil_Johnny_666

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vorfeed wrote:
In my experience, the best way to use Ebay is to set up saved searches for your wants, and check your email frequently. You'd be surprised at what shows up on Buy It Now... the quick and patient can find great bargains that way.

Yeah, even if we those were not vinyls, I remember buying a bunch of black metal cds (including most Holy Death ones) for like 5-6 buck each. There's really some hidden bargains to be found.
Moose of Doom

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: ebay now totally worthless for record shopping Reply with quote

IXTAB wrote:

Could you not click Buy/Music/Records/Metal and browse that way? Then from there you can click on any sub-genre listed on the left.
GHOAT

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that way is still there. I thought IXTAB was saying that was what was gone.

Nothing has changed for me then.
IXTAB
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: ebay now totally worthless for record shopping Reply with quote

Moose of Doom wrote:
IXTAB wrote:

Could you not click Buy/Music/Records/Metal and browse that way? Then from there you can click on any sub-genre listed on the left.

That's exactly right, BUT it seems to be working now. I tried it on two different computers yesterday and earlier today and no genres, subgenres, speeds, record sizes, etc. were available for narrowing the search. The Ebay guy even told me that they ended that option. Oh well, false alarm I guess.
4. Memes
5. Ebonics

Endless Morbidity

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must of brought it back:

http://music.shop.ebay.com/Records-/306/i.html?Genre=Metal&_catref=1&_dmpt=Music_on_Vinyl&_fln=1&_ssov=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282
hellhippie666

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebay sucks but it's valuable when you miss a release . the new searches and way of doing things have sucked for a while . the choose more option with Black/Gothic metal and death metal , sludge drives me nuts and has over the years diminished my using the site . this thread was almost the last nail in the coffin for me . I mean really Black/Gothic put together , Who the hell is deciding their genre listing's . F-n BS
darksymphonies

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: ebay now totally worthless for record shopping Reply with quote

IXTAB wrote:
Moose of Doom wrote:
IXTAB wrote:

That's exactly right, BUT it seems to be working now. I tried it on two different computers yesterday and earlier today and no genres, subgenres, speeds, record sizes, etc. were available for narrowing the search. The Ebay guy even told me that they ended that option. Oh well, false alarm I guess.
I had the same problem last night but yes, now it is back to the way it was with the metal option being available.
http://www.darksymphonies.com
Twitter: @darksymphonies

~ DARKAGEPRODUCTIONS ~ The New Home Of Tom Sullivan's The BOOK Of The DEAD
http://www.darkageproductions.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: