P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Ways To Remove Fingerprints From LP's/CD's?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blasphemophizer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Ways To Remove Fingerprints From LP's/CD's? Reply with quote

I'v got way too many LP's, and CD's that are disgustingly covered in my greasy fingerprints (on the covers/booklets, and on the actual LP/CD its self).

What are some ways to remove them? Special glasses cloths?
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

removing fingerprints from CD's isn't very hard. A soft cloth and some water should take care of it.
LPs are another story. How did your fingerprints end up on the vinyl itself? I hold mine by the edges with the palms of my hands, if that makes sense.
Blasphemophizer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blodhemn9 wrote:
removing fingerprints from CD's isn't very hard. A soft cloth and some water should take care of it.
LPs are another story. How did your fingerprints end up on the vinyl itself? I hold mine by the edges with the palms of my hands, if that makes sense.

Yeah, I try hold it by the edges, as well, but sometimes I have to touch the main part of the vinyl when taking it off the turn table, or taking it out of the jacket.
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main problem is fucking cat hair on the vinyls. everything is always in the plastic sleeve/jacket/inner sleaves etc on my shelf, but the fucking hair is always all over them.
Blasphemophizer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blodhemn9 wrote:
My main problem is fucking cat hair on the vinyls. everything is always in the plastic sleeve/jacket/inner sleaves etc on my shelf, but the fucking hair is always all over them.

That is the worst. Make sure your cat is no where near your vinyl, from now on. Because of static, cat hair, or any hair will stick like a magnet to vinyl.
MezzoForte

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cat hair lol. A suggestion for that, at least, would be to invest in one of those turntable mats that like auto-discharge the vinyl. I think they generally run a hefty sum but I think it would be worth it in the long run. Also, anti-static inner sleeves obviously.

As for fingerprints, I need a solution for that as well. Sometimes touching the surface is just unavoidable. I know there are like liquid/cloth combos out there but I was wondering what everyone else here did that was more practical.
Skoll

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shave the cat. Wear gloves and a gasmask when handling vinyl.
DTK

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Get okki nokki Reply with quote

Vinyl washer is a way to go! I have used washing machine of a friend couple of time, and it does killer job... gotta buy one of these myself:

http://www.okkinokki.co.uk/index.html
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blasphemophizer wrote:
blodhemn9 wrote:

That is the worst. Make sure your cat is no where near your vinyl, from now on. Because of static, cat hair, or any hair will stick like a magnet to vinyl.

The vinyls are WAY out of cat reach/jumping range.... but it floats through the air and somehow gets inside the fucking sleeves ! Evil or Very Mad

That's what I get for sharing my home with such vain, disingenuous creatures.
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MezzoForte wrote:
Cat hair lol. A suggestion for that, at least, would be to invest in one of those turntable mats that like auto-discharge the vinyl. I think they generally run a hefty sum but I think it would be worth it in the long run. Also, anti-static inner sleeves obviously.

As for fingerprints, I need a solution for that as well. Sometimes touching the surface is just unavoidable. I know there are like liquid/cloth combos out there but I was wondering what everyone else here did that was more practical.

I definitly want to get one of those antistatic mats..... I do have a nifty little vinyl brush like the ones seen here
http://www.sleevetown.com/vinyl-cleaning.shtml

But I don't like the noise the brush makes on the vinyl, so I hesitate to use it ofter...kinda sounds like its fucking up the vinyl.
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skoll wrote:
Shave the cat. Wear gloves and a gasmask when handling vinyl.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
adrian5118

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some records from the 40's that are disgusting with finger prints (though like zero scrathes, go figure...) and even with some various vinyl cleaners they are still there. Confused

Last edited by adrian5118 on Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
Skoll

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blodhemn9 wrote:

The vinyls are WAY out of cat reach/jumping range.... but it floats through the air and somehow gets inside the fucking sleeves ! Evil or Very Mad

Yeah, cats and girlfriends are the worst for that. Hairs everywhere.
Werewolf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blasphemophizer wrote:
blodhemn9 wrote:

Yeah, I try hold it by the edges, as well, but sometimes I have to touch the main part of the vinyl when taking it off the turn table, or taking it out of the jacket.

Just lift the record form the turntable with both hands holding the edges. When you take it out of the inner sleeve, just let the record slip into your palm, so once there's enough of it out - you'll be able to hold it like a CD. (Big finger on the edge, middle finger on the central label). Trust me it works, I have no finger prints whatsoever on my records.

Regressive Muerta Metal: https://sadistikus.bandcamp.com/album/desekrehearsal-march-21-2015
BreedingtheSpawn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did have this stuff that was a mixture of rubbing alcohol and water, that I used to clean CDs with that I got in trades that had fingerprints on them it worked pretty good. I always hold my CDs by the edges and also the booklets to prevent fingerprints.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: