P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Collection reduction?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoldenBull

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject: Collection reduction? Reply with quote

A few years ago I decided to try to cut my music collection down to the essentials, the albums I really care about. At the time I had between 600 and 700 metal LPs, some crazy number of tapes and CDs, etc.

Since I made that decision I have gotten rid of a shitload of stuff, and now I only have about 150 LPs. At first this was a difficult process because I couldn't decide what to keep. I had a hard time convincing myself to let go of many many things.

However, the end result has been FANTASTIC. I only have about 50 records left that I truly want to get rid of, and the rest of my collection is 100% perfect for me. I love every record, I know every record, and I actually have time to give them all repeated spins and get to know them better. Additionally, I went from spending hundreds a month on new records to buying only 5-6 new releases a year. That has also been a huge plus for me.

This approach is not for everyone obviously. Perhaps one day I will have unlimited money and space and I'll go collector crazy again, but who knows?

I'm curious as to whether anyone else has considered doing this or actually done it. For me it has been all positive. More time to listen to the greats, more space, and a little bit of extra cash.

Any other culling maniacs out there?
lifeless

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to "cull" my CDs, so much crap - I have been lazy in this regard because I feel that deep down I know it'll be a waste of time trying to manage it because no one will even want most of the stuff

wynils are ok, I am really careful about what I get
Endsieg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Collection reduction? Reply with quote

GoldenBull wrote:

This approach is not for everyone obviously. Perhaps one day I will have unlimited money and space and I'll go collector crazy again, but who knows?

Did exactly that. got rid of about 500 7" eps, and about 1200 metal/hardcore/punk LPs. it was like a weight off my mind and now I'm buying records again. Its mostly old stuff that I've never owned.
Attic Snake

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, I stopped buying records from around 2001 till 2010 (hit a reqally bad time in my life) so I feel I missed a bunch of stuff. What I have been trying to do is delete all the crap off my computer though. I filled my laptop up with tons of shitty Brutal Tech Death, Sludge. Progressive, and shitty Black Metal bands and now I have to wade through the garbage. I hardly listen to music on my computer but I need to keep stuff on there for my cars iPod.

I had a shit ton of CDs at a point but kept them in those 200 cd books and lost two of them taking out a good chunk of my collection. A year or two ago I pretty much put the rest of them in a few crates and left them on the sidewalk. I don't like CDs.
Zris

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i cull regularly as i buy shit impulsively and try to keep myself in the dark about stuff i've heard on the internet so i've had more than a few albums that i only liked a track off but the rest was useless....

that said i've only ever had 300+ some odd CDs max at a time, kept it fluctuating under that number for a while now

very picky about vinyl, don't really cull it...now cause i lack a player/set-up at the time being but before it was because i only wanted certain music on that medium + it's price

i buy tapes on very odd whims, never had many so only culled like 1 or 2 every now and again more or less cause i had it in another format or i wanted some quick cash.

Last edited by Zris on Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
quillotine

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only 50 records sounds crazy. I tend to keep stuff that I really like and care about too but it represents around 1000 lps...
Drying Victims

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always been a "quality instead of quantity" guy. Every time I got rid of a big part of my stuff it felt like someone took a big weight off my shoulders. Nowadays I don't even have any CDs left after selling my vinyls a few years ago. I just got back into buying vinyl, but not for collection purposes, but just for a different way of listening every now and then. I strictly get only stuff that I didn't really know yet or never gave an appropriate chance. Right now I have three vinyls, with two additional arriving soon. Surprised

However, I really like browsing the collection threads here, I marvel at my friend's vinyls and I also follow what is being released in which fancy version and so on, I just don't feel the need to own them.
gravesnatcher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just sold a NWOBHM single for $1,000 and I feel like crap for doing it.haha
Zombie Dance

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very careful with what I buy, I try to buy only vinyls I know I will listen to a lot. That means i usually spend a lot of money on a few rare records I know instead of buying 15 lps. That means missing a lot of the good new stuff, but on the other hand when i buy a lp it actually means something...

With this being said, there is a lot of stuff i should get rid of...
GoldenBull

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quillotine wrote:
Only 50 records sounds crazy. I tend to keep stuff that I really like and care about too but it represents around 1000 lps...

50 would be impossible for me too. That's just how many I have left that I want to get rid of. Another point is that I have really only made an effort to cut down on vinyl. I see no reason to limit the number of albums or releases that I enjoy, but lately I have gotten upset with myself for having this default idea that I need everything I like on wax. Nowadays I only buy an LP if I love the music and the artwork.
quillotine

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoldenBull wrote:
quillotine wrote:

50 would be impossible for me too. That's just how many I have left that I want to get rid of.

My mistake sorry
Final Holocaust

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Final Holocaust on Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
heavyR

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I envy those that can get rid of a large portion of their collection. I get overwhelmed by how many releases I have all the time and can't hardly think of a record to pull out and listen to.

Buy this crap.
GoldenBull

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heavyR wrote:
I get overwhelmed by how many releases I have all the time and can't hardly think of a record to pull out and listen to.

That was a problem for me too. And honestly my collection never even came close to the size of many others.

Another huge benefit I noticed? Moving! For the first time in probably 15 years I managed to fit my entire collection into a single vehicle all at once. Laughing
Scum

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved house a couple of years ago and decided to cull about 60% of my stuff due to the new place being smaller. Lots of moments pulling LPs down, looking at it and thinking "What the fuck is this?" Usually followed by playing and thinking "Yep, this can go." or "Seriously, what the fuck is this? Did I even listen to this when I got it?"
Found selling most of my old Satanic Warmaster and random Sombre LPs mostly paid me through adult education.

Cant get rid of most of the tapes. Piles and piles of generic, awful black metal demo trash.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: