P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Doom as thou wilt
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frozen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: Doom as thou wilt Reply with quote

I've been a obsessed Candlemass devotee since I was a teenager, but have lately been branching out with albums like Solstice's New Dark Age. So what I want you guys to do is to list what you consider the 10 most monumental offerings of the Doom genre. I'm not interested in Death/Doom, so let's keep that out of the equation. Thanks!

Carlzilla

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't enjoy a ton of doom stuff. But, the albums I do enjoy tend to be overlooked (not that the bands are seldom mentioned or unknown, but they almost never end up on other people favorites lists), so I'll throw 'em up here. I doubt if I'll even get to 5 albums...

Warhorse - As Heaven Turns to Ash
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua3XVFIwpkE

Goatsnake - Dog Days / Flower of Disease (sorry Couldn't pick just one)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeyJ6m8AyY0

Burning Witch - Towers (or Crippled Lucifer since it has Towers on it)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qwA1sivuHo

Witchfinder General and Pallbearer are the other two bands that would probably round out the list if I had to pick five "doom" bands without being able to really head into extreme doom like doom/death or black/doom, but I'm sure they'll get plenty of attention from others in this thread.

And now we have fags complaining about other fags. A "fagoboros" if you will.

http://www.last.fm/user/carlzilla
heavy chains

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no way Pallbearer belong in a conversation about the top 10 doom metal releases.
Carlzilla

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heavy chains wrote:
There is no way Pallbearer belong in a conversation about the top 10 doom metal releases.

Again, I think Doom is pretty fucking boring in general, so I have a fairly unrefined opinion about the genre in general. I enjoy the Pallbearer demo quite a bit. I didn't like either of the albums quite as much, the "rawness" (not raw like black metal raw) is gone, replaced with all sorts of overdubs and whatever.

Frozen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heavy chains wrote:

I'll have to agree with that, but Carlzilla admitted that his favorites " almost never end up on other people favorites lists". I like that kind of honesty.
Carlzilla

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and to be fair, I wouldn't have even brought them up if I could dip into death/doom, black/doom, or sludge...I just REALLY don't care for traditional doom all that much.

Frozen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another time and place.
cloud

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find Count Raven greatly underrated
la_ciudad_podrida

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warning - Watching From a Distance.
A couple months ago I heard this amazing doom song play in the local record store. I never thought to ask the owner what he was playing but It stuck with me very long after the fact. A few weeks later browsing this forum I see a thread, "Most Depressive Metal Albums" or something, I click on a youtube link to Warning and there it is! that song from the record store I had been practically dreaming about.. The whole album gives me a really weird feeling. I almost don't want to listen to it because its too powerful and soul draining.

Trouble - The Skull & Psalm 9 (all trouble rules)
Candlemass - Epicus & Nightfall
Also Scald, Solitude Aeturnus, some others I cant remember right now, Kind of more into Death/Doom like Paramaecium and My Dying Bride most often.
Frozen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cloud wrote:
I find Count Raven greatly underrated

The first album isn't too shabby, yeah.

An old band I suddenly came to think of is End of Green. Their debut wasn't all that spectacular, but the track "Infinity" was featured on an early volume of Traces Of Death. It was played during some footage from a terror attack in Yugoslavia. I think a bomb had gone off in a marketplace or something. The cameraman is just walking around filming the victims. There's this teenage girl who's missing the lower half of her body, and she's just lying there on the ground staring at the sky while slowly loosing consciousness. It's some of the most somber shit I've ever seen.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfNyLhEeV4s
Frozen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

la_ciudad_podrida wrote:
A couple months ago I heard this amazing doom song play in the local record store. I never thought to ask the owner what he was playing but It stuck with me very long after the fact. A few weeks later browsing this forum I see a thread, "Most Depressive Metal Albums" or something, I click on a youtube link to Warning and there it is! that song from the record store I had been practically dreaming about.. The whole album gives me a really weird feeling. I almost don't want to listen to it because its too powerful and soul draining.

Also Scald, Solitude Aeturnus, some others I cant remember right now, Kind of more into Death/Doom like Paramaecium and My Dying Bride most often.

Warning is amazing, and it seems like I'll have to check out Scald.
la_ciudad_podrida

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frozen wrote:
la_ciudad_podrida wrote:

Warning is amazing, and it seems like I'll have to check out Scald.

That recent Warning thread introduced me to so many awesome bands. While Heaven Wept - Sorrow Of The Angels has been totally possessing me lately.
black aspirin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few of my personal favorites:

Blood Farmers - Permanent Brain Damage
Paul Chain Violet Theatre - Detaching from Satan
Briton Rites - For Micalla
Pagan Altar - Lords of Hypocrisy
The Obsessed - Lunar Womb
Black Hole - Land of Mystery
Pale Divine - Thunder Perfect Mind
Orodruin - Epicurean Mass
Lord Vicar - Fear No Pain
Griftegård - Solemn • Sacred • Severe
holy ghost

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reverend Bizarre - basically everything for the top five
DoomSword - My Name Will Live On
Witchcraft - S/T
Black Hole - Land of Mystery
Goatsnake - Flower of Disease
Sleep - Sleeps Holy Mountain
Trouble - The Skull
Skull

And add Khanate, Ocean (US), Asunder, dISEMBOWELEMENT, Burning Witch, Corrupted, Monarch, Stumm for outside your parameters....

Obviously Black Sabbath is a given....

El Feroce wrote:
leave us drowning by triggers in our beloved shit?
jameswolfe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you love Candlemass, I think its hard not to imagine you not liking Solitude Aeturnus. IMO, they did it better.

Also, I dont give a fuck about the rules, dISEMBOWELEMTENT, is fucking amazing, along with death or funeral doom. The best sounding records I own are in this style and you are missing out if you are ignoring this shit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: