P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

BATHORY LP's... Which ones are the best ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evilman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: BATHORY LP's... Which ones are the best ? Reply with quote

Hey there.

This is my first post so sorry if it's the wrong section / i should have introduced myself first / etc, i checked the forums and didn't see something related to this but maybe i'm wrong...

So, i searched a lot of informations on the web about Bathory's vinyl pressings, i heard some, i read some advices, but there's still some questions i didn't found any correct answers, so i prefer to ask you to be sure...

I want to buy Bathory's best vinyl pressings, in terms of sound and maybe packaging too (both comes together in many cases...), I already know that remasters suck ass big times and that i shouldn't buy anything from Black Mark released after 1990, but i still prefer to have clear answers to people who know more about this than me, so here's my interrogations:

Arrow - About the first album, i own the Under One Flag presing.
What is the exact release date of this one ? Some says it is from 1984, but discogs and other sites list it under 1987... There's a guy on metal archive who apparently bought it in 1984 but i didn't found informations online about this date, anyone to confirm ? http://www.metal-archives.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=80184&sid=4bd576a0ca71237f2dd0c1fe22ab4fa6

Also, is this edition supposed to have a lyric sheet like the original Black Mark pressing ? If i'm correct, there was no sheet for this one, at least mine doesn't.

Most important question, about the sound quality, is this different or similar to the original Black Mark pressing ? I know that all releases before 1990 uses the original master tapes, but some people say this edition has boosted frequencies and sounds dirtier than Black Mark ones... I know about the shorter intro tough. Anyone who heard both can tell me more about this ?

Arrow - The Return, i own the 2003 reissue, it sounds and looks like crap... i don't know which one is best for it, some says the Under one Flag version sounds better than the first Black Mark pressing, any informations about this ? Also, about the blue / orange cover, the only version to feature the blue cover is the black mark first press, am i right ?

Arrow - Under the sign, no info at all, it's the only one i don't own right now, never heard any LP of it, so if you have any advices...

Arrow - Blood Fire Death, i own a Plastic Head reissue under Black Mark license, no idea about the release date, i bought it new in March this year at my local music store, it's on black vinyl and it include a lyric sheet. No gatefold for this one (no surprise...). I asked Plastic Head distributions and here's their answers:

"This LP was first re-issued in 2003, I assume that is when the label took over the rights for it. There has been many re-presses since 2003, the copy you have would have been pressed in March this year."

Unfortunately, i still didn't listened to this one for some reasons (i can't for now), so if you know if it sounds better / different than the original pressings, i'd like to have some advices too. I don't think it's a great one but i don't know...

Arrow - Hammerheart, still a great album but not my favourite, i'd like to get it but same as Under the Sign, never heard any LP version of it, so if you know which one is the bet to have, let me know and why.

I think that's all for now, it may be long to read but i wanted to be as clear and detailed as possible, i already say a big thank you to anyone who will help me about these questions and interrogations !

Last edited by Evilman on Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Backwards

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own all the original Black Mark pressings and I have no complaints. As long as you don't have the later remastered versions, they should be pressed from the original masters so probably not much different in sound.
CSR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be honest. I grew up on crappy (probably) bootleg pressings of CDs, so I really find no fault with the more recent re-master LPs.

But that's just me. Totally subjective obviously.
funeralfog666

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CSR wrote:
I'll be honest. I grew up on crappy (probably) bootleg pressings of CDs, so I really find no fault with the more recent re-master LPs.

haha I remember rocking out to some shitty dub tapes back in the 90's.

I own older pressings so can't really say much about newer reissues but The first 6 albums are essential then can be hit or miss after that IMO.
Evilman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, for my own i first heard the CD versions of each albums, already remastered, i just ended to search the original LPs after reading almost everywhere how bad the sound was compared to the original pressings due to cheap and lazy work from Black Mark, and i experienced that myself when i first heard the Under one Flag pressing of the Self-Titled...

I mean, it almost sound like Swedeath compared to the CD version that is awfully compressed, usually i'm not that much bitching about remasters as i own some that are great (Beneath the remains come to mind), but for Bathory's albums, i can confirm about the first one, and i believe the other ones too after reading most listeners reviews.

Another problem is the awful quality of repros, if it was just the paper quality, i could deal with it, but they do not even respect the original cover (S/T) or gatefold format (Blood Fire Death / Hammerheart) that the first editions had... Some bootlegs looks identical if not better, that's incredible. Considering i have to buy most of my LPs online with crazy shipping fees due to a lack of stuff in my local store, paying 40$ for something that sounds AND looks inferior to old, almost self-made pressings is just embarassing... Confused
AOD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some years ago, I wrote a very long article in another forum (unfortunately in german language), containing lots of information about different masterings on the first three albums.
To make a long story short:

1) Bathory - Bathory (1984)
The original Black Mark (yellow of white goat, same matrixes) is the way to go. It sounds fantastic and there is no other version that sounds similar. The Under One Flag pressing sounds harsh and has a shorter intro.

2) Bathory - The Return... (1985)
The original Black Mark or the Under One Flag pressing sounds fine. Whilst the swedish Black Mark LP sounds slightly dull, the Under One Flag LP has a small dropout on track 1 of side B.

3) Bathory - Under The Sign Of The Black Mark (1987)
Buy the Under One Flag LP. There is no better version out there and Black Mark never manufactured a pressing themselves.

I hope this is enough information searching for the best ones. Good luck hunting Wink
NSD Records

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AOD wrote:
Some years ago, I wrote a very long article in another forum (unfortunately in german language), containing lots of information about different masterings on the first three albums.

...on www.musik-sammler.de? That article is excellent providing some useful info.

On topic, for Bathory "s/t" and "The Return" I recommend both the original Black Mark as well as the Under One Flag pressings, as both have their own appeal. I would avoid any re-press on Black Mark from 2003 and so on, they really sound awful. Same goes for the CDs, where the difference between different pressings is even more striking.
AOD

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, this is the article I mentioned.
little_raven

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CSR wrote:

This, I still have a russian s/t and won't sell it for all the money in the world
AOD

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard about a russian LP version...I think you are talking about the 2003 CD version ??? Same crappy "remaster" as on all releases since 1990.
Winters

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly off topic but I always think it's a shame that at least the first five Bathory albums haven't been given the box set treatment. It seems strange that it hasn't happened since so many bands are getting them these days.
AOD

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure Black Mark are unable to locate the right masters...it would be a disaster to get the crappy remasters on a vinyl boxset instead of the original sound...
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AOD wrote:
I am sure Black Mark are unable to locate the right masters...it would be a disaster to get the crappy remasters on a vinyl boxset instead of the original sound...

I doubt that would stop them... the question is, why haven't they cashed in on it yet?

I'd love to see NWN do a giant Bathory box set.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: