P R O D U C T I O N S
 
 FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 
 Profile 
 Log in to check your private messages 
 Log in 

Darkthrone Demos - Frostland Tapes or Sempiternal Past?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Poison Monkey



Joined: 05 Dec 2015
Posts: 143

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:59 pm    Post subject: Darkthrone Demos - Frostland Tapes or Sempiternal Past? Reply with quote

Which do people prefer?

I'm going to buy one or the other, I'm just wondering which one people think has the best quality transfers of the demos.

I know Temple of Disharmony did restoration work on Sempiternal Past, sometimes they/he have done great work, but not always.

Thanks!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CranialEngorge



Joined: 04 Apr 2015
Posts: 87

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen Sempiternal Past, but Frostland tapes is a good little set with a fair amount of songs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IIIRD GATEKEEPER



Joined: 02 Jan 2009
Posts: 3348
Location: Finland

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't heard Sempiternal Past, but Frostland Tapes sounds as good as it gets to me.
_________________
ok but who are you damn i have lot of orders

TURN THE LIGHT OFF
OBEY THE MEGAGOAL
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tireheb



Joined: 18 Aug 2007
Posts: 8661
Location: Finland

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both are fine to my ears. It's good to remember that these are just raw demos with rough production and no audiophile bullshit makes them sound like Morrisound Studio albums.
_________________
"You can't hide the hook!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AOD



Joined: 06 Oct 2011
Posts: 573
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Frostland Tapes" was compiled from shitty mp3 files, but "Sempiternal Past" was sourced from original demotapes / master cassettes and fully restored.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Poison Monkey



Joined: 05 Dec 2015
Posts: 143

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tireheb wrote:
Both are fine to my ears. It's good to remember that these are just raw demos with rough production and no audiophile bullshit makes them sound like Morrisound Studio albums.


Thanks! I know that they are raw 80s demos. However 80s tapes can sound very similar to the originals, or totally painful, depending on the care of the re-release. In my experience, anyways.

If we have the option, why not spend money on the better one? Very Happy

Quote:
"Frostland Tapes" was compiled from shitty mp3 files


...that...is actually unbelievable, coming from a major label. Sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AOD



Joined: 06 Oct 2011
Posts: 573
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Frostland Tapes" was released without any effort regarding quality / mastering / sources...that was the reason that "Sempiternal Past" was created to get it right - all stuff from the best available sources.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Warcrust



Joined: 25 Aug 2011
Posts: 701
Location: Hungary

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AOD wrote:
"Frostland Tapes" was compiled from shitty mp3 files, but "Sempiternal Past" was sourced from original demotapes / master cassettes and fully restored.


This. I have both but the difference is huge. Sempiternal Past is fantastic, grab a copy of that!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
klaw



Joined: 25 Mar 2010
Posts: 700
Location: Denmark

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You fuckers are making me want to buy Sempiternal Past - and I already have Frostland.
The demo production really suits this material, I think. I actually listen to Frostland more than Soulside.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Feuersturm



Joined: 29 Nov 2012
Posts: 1396
Location: Finland

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frostland Tapes because of the instrumental version of Goatlord. Now I kind of want the Sempiternal Past demo collection too, but just for the demos. Don't care about live stuff.
_________________
§:-Ğl
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AOD



Joined: 06 Oct 2011
Posts: 573
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

klaw wrote:
You fuckers are making me want to buy Sempiternal Past - and I already have Frostland.
The demo production really suits this material, I think. I actually listen to Frostland more than Soulside.


If you want to listen to best possible quality, Sempiternal Past is the way to go, cause all stuff was sourced form original demo cassettes, one master cassette and one st generation copy. Frostland Tapes was compiled from bad sources (high generation copies), circulating on the world wide web.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
AOD



Joined: 06 Oct 2011
Posts: 573
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feuersturm wrote:
Frostland Tapes because of the instrumental version of Goatlord. Now I kind of want the Sempiternal Past demo collection too, but just for the demos. Don't care about live stuff.


Sempiternal Past doesn't include live stuff. The CROMLECH demo was in fact a live recording and the two left over songs are included cause they were part of the same session.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Unmakable



Joined: 08 Nov 2010
Posts: 296

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, I guess I'll have to pick up a copy of Sempiternal Past as well. I was wondering what the point of it was, especially coming from the same label, but now it makes sense. Will be interesting comparing it to the Frostland Tapes.

Quote:
Sempiternal Past doesn't include live stuff. The CROMLECH demo was in fact a live recording and the two left over songs are included cause they were part of the same session.


Looks like there are a couple live tracks from a Norwegian television show appearance.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
AOD



Joined: 06 Oct 2011
Posts: 573
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unmakable wrote:
Damn, I guess I'll have to pick up a copy of Sempiternal Past as well. I was wondering what the point of it was, especially coming from the same label, but now it makes sense. Will be interesting comparing it to the Frostland Tapes.

Quote:
Sempiternal Past doesn't include live stuff. The CROMLECH demo was in fact a live recording and the two left over songs are included cause they were part of the same session.


Looks like there are a couple live tracks from a Norwegian television show appearance.


The Norwegian television show appearance IS the CROMLECH demo session.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Unmakable



Joined: 08 Nov 2010
Posts: 296

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AOD wrote:
Unmakable wrote:
Damn, I guess I'll have to pick up a copy of Sempiternal Past as well. I was wondering what the point of it was, especially coming from the same label, but now it makes sense. Will be interesting comparing it to the Frostland Tapes.

Quote:
Sempiternal Past doesn't include live stuff. The CROMLECH demo was in fact a live recording and the two left over songs are included cause they were part of the same session.


Looks like there are a couple live tracks from a Norwegian television show appearance.


The Norwegian television show appearance IS the CROMLECH demo session.


But the Cromlech demo only has four tracks, of which Soria Moria Slott and Eon / Thulcandra were not a part of. These two tracks are listed as the ones performed on the tv show.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group