P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Demise of the Record store
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heliogabalus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be a discussion of quality in this topic.
I believe the extreme metal scene is in it's healthiest
state ever.
Regardless of that discussion i have never downloaded an MP3 and
I have nothing against those that do.
My brother purchased Ace's new album on I-tunes.
When he saw that cute little pyramid packaging he bought the CD.
I have accepted the fact that record stores will cease to exist in the next decade. The problem with online ordering is mastering restraint It's easy to click on that Master's Hammer box set when I need to be saving for my daughter's college fund. Sad
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heliogabalus wrote:
state ever.
I have accepted the fact that record stores will cease to exist in the next decade. The problem with online ordering is mastering restraint It's easy to click on that Master's Hammer box set when I need to be saving for my daughter's college fund. Sad

Eh, buy the boxset and let her get a used textbook for one semester!
Heliogabalus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blodhemn9 wrote:
Heliogabalus wrote:
state ever.

Eh, buy the boxset and let her get a used textbook for one semester!

Don't put those ideas in my head. I might actually follow through with them.
Very Happy
Conservationist
banned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heliogabalus wrote:
state ever.

On what basis?
Antimosh003

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran my very own record/coffee shop this time last year for about 6 months. I closed as I was not getting enough business, I didnt lose any money but I didnt make any money so pulled out as it was begining to steer towards loss. I had many Metal CD's (mainly from typical extreme metal labels e.g. Earache, Peaceville and Regain) and im selling it all at wholesale price.

PM if interested in a list.
PxRxPx

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PFL wrote:
I think a reason why a chain like Newbury Comics (which I believe is just in the Massachusets area) does pretty good (from what I am assuming) is not only does it have a decent amount of music to choose from but they also carry a bunch of other cool shit to buy as well like toys, books, etc. It's a store which carries a bunch of cool stuff to sell along with being known as a record store at the same time.

Newbury is located primarily in Mass., with locations in Conn., RI, NH and Maine. There are 28 locations in all. I've worked for Newbury since I moved to Boston about three years ago. The following things have kept Newbury afloat.

1) Diverse products. As you mentioned, there's all kinds of pop culture related stuff for sale, from Dunny Figures to Comics to Cd's to Red Sox merchandise.

2) Very cheap used Cd's and DVD's. When Tower and Circuit city went under, guess who bought pallets upon pallets of their stock for a competitive price? Most of our used cd's are well under $10.

3) Newbury has a growing internet business. There's a website, as well as an Amazon store. Having worked for the internet department, I can tell you that they do very good business and are pretty damn competitive price-wise.

4) Catering to Niche Markets. Those who still like to go to record stores and are looking for something that they can't find at Best Buy or FYE often have a lot of luck with Newbury. Not that we always have the most kvlt thing ever, but you're not going to find an Archgoat cd or Asbestodeath 10" at Best buy. We also buy Cd's and Dvd's, so if somebody brings in something rare, we usually buy it.

5) Some people still prefer music in a hard format, metalheads and non metalheads alike.

Throughout the recession, not one store has shut down operations, and the store I that I recently starting working at (I was at the warehouse before) was slammed busy every day that I worked last week. I realize that this is sort of an Anomaly in this day and age, but I think the key is location. Record stores located close to larger metropolitan areas are going to be okay, at least for a while. I kind of wonder how the good independent shops (Armageddon in Providence and Welfare in Haverhill) are faring. Both are pretty darn good and have a dedicated customer base.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conservationist wrote:
Heliogabalus wrote:
state ever.

On what basis?

Yeah, I'm inclined to question what is meant by "extreme", "scene", and "health" here, but less inclined to have the discussion that may follow.

I guess my 2 cents is that I always try to buy from a store if possible, and then through the mail. It's important to be loyal to the dealers you like. I'm happy to spend a few extra dollars on an item if I know to expect good service.
Conservationist
banned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professor Black wrote:
I guess my 2 cents is that I always try to buy from a store if possible, and then through the mail. It's important to be loyal to the dealers you like. I'm happy to spend a few extra dollars on an item if I know to expect good service.

I'm addicted to the store process. Go in; dick around; check out all the possibilities, then make the gamble and see what comes home.

Or the alternate store process, which is go in and buy the CD from which the mp3s I've been listening to all week came!
Iscariah

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember in Bergen (Norway) during late 80s and early 90s. I used to skip school and go into town (2 hour bus drive each way) with about 100 quid borrowed from friends. We had some incredible stores back then for vinyl and also some great ones for second hand. This was back when most kids who were into metal during their senior school got into typical stuff, so they would almost give their collections away at these shops....you found amazing pieces there. Especially I remember the HEAPS of Metallica bootleg LPs that circulated at that point. Also some great ones from CF like A night in the Dark with light blue cover...

Once I got 500 NOK from my parents when I was 13 to buy vinyl. I came home with 10 12" Maxi-singles of Maiden from that since they were 50NOK each brand new...whohooo.

Those were the days...I sneaked out from a highschool theatre-trip to Bergen during the break and got Ozzy "Speak of the Devil" on a DOUBLE cassette around the corner....everything was better those days. Total Magic.

Wow...this thread brings back memories..
Reed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still work at a record store. It rules. Support.
vugelnox

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God Slayer wrote:
I am lucky to have a store like Vintage Vinyl in NJ which is only an hour or so from my house. They have one of the best metal selections I've ever seen and the store appears to be doing well.

I agree. That particular store does seem to be doing well and does a very respectable job at stocking both niche and more popular items as well as older back catalogs and brand new releases.

I don't see how one could make definitive arguments for/against the decline in quality of music. I for one think metal is doing perfectly fine today and I attend as many shows and buy as many albums, CD and vinyl, as anyone. As others have said the perception of quality in such a vast landscape is contained entirely within the eyes of the beholder and goes no further than that.

I believe most stores are closing for the first answer that most come up with when this topic is mentioned, pirated mp3s. The posters on a board such as this are in the minority of listeners deeply into niche styles and are usually financially supportive of such, to the extent that they can be. There is no other way to say it other then most younger folks into metal today don't care about format and don't care about the monetary processes that go into putting out albums. They might still buy albums on occasion but more often then not I'd wager most simply download, put it on the iPod (or before that just burned to cd-r) and go about their business. A friend of mine owns a small metal shop in Middletown, NY (Rock Fantasy) and has seen music buying customers dwindle and those that still come in buying less, often telling him point black "I can just download that".

Now this might jive with Conservationist's idea that decreased quality makes one less inclined to buy and therefore simply pirate but I'm not so sure. I'd place a bigger share of the blame on the notions of disposability and entitlement that are increasingly found in younger generations. Also (and this is more of a stretch) via the internet one can hear of far more bands today then ever before and therefore one might be less inclined to developed a stronger bond, and therefore be inclined to purchase, individual albums. Older metalheads always seem to have the "man I cranked Welcome to Hell for MONTHS in my car!" stories but I wonder just how common such tales are today with literally dozens of new releases every month.

Then again I could just be a pessimist here. Confused
Reaper's Grave

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PxRxPx wrote:
PFL wrote:
I think a reason why a chain like Newbury Comics (which I believe is just in the Massachusets area) does pretty good (from what I am assuming) is not only does it have a decent amount of music to choose from but they also carry a bunch of other cool shit to buy as well like toys, books, etc. It's a store which carries a bunch of cool stuff to sell along with being known as a record store at the same time.

Throughout the recession, not one store has shut down operations, and the store I that I recently starting working at (I was at the warehouse before) was slammed busy every day that I worked last week. I realize that this is sort of an Anomaly in this day and age, but I think the key is location. Record stores located close to larger metropolitan areas are going to be okay, at least for a while. I kind of wonder how the good independent shops (Armageddon in Providence and Welfare in Haverhill) are faring. Both are pretty darn good and have a dedicated customer base.

Which store do you work at? I once talked to a guy at the Salem, NH store who said he worked a long time in the warehouse and we discussed metal records once, not sure if you're the same guy?

But yes, I've never seen any Newbury Comics store dead during the day. Welfare Records does pretty well due to dedicated groups who buy records from mike on a constant basis, he travels to record shows, and I'm sure the Anchors Up venue in basement of the building he owns helps contribute to boosting sales since they always keep the store open all night when there's a show.

Armageddon I don't get to go to often, but they always have tons of new titles coming in, and seem to do pretty well also, plenty of good stuff from mailorder too, I always find new stuff from NWN, HHR, etc at the store, and many punk 7''!
Heliogabalus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conservationist wrote:
Heliogabalus wrote:
state ever.

On what basis?

My apologies on the somewhat ambiguous terms, "extreme and healthy"
etc.etc. etc.
("I Believe ") makes my point lose it's validity, but it is an opinion.
I happen to enjoy many releases by newer bands.
Again that is opinion.
Again your "on what basis" point was valid.
It's all what your into. Some think these are good times
for heavy music, others do not. (that's for another thread)
However I came across a band you might enjoy.

They are called EugeniKVLT
EugeniKVLT.net

Their first LP will surface next month.
The combined IQ of the three members is 1200
The EP is called MENSAGASM
The album contains an IQ test.
If you score above 500 (I'm sure you can ace that one)
you send the results to the the band for a free 7".
Track-listing is as follows:

Mengeles Dream
Slaughter at the Senior Center
Transcendance through Sudoko

It's created a whole new genre:
Smartcore.

I'm sure with the emergance of this scene you will have more quality
releases to purchase and might agree that the scene is improving

Now I've derailed the thread. Sorry folks, but after seeing that website address he lists over and over I couldn't help myself.

I'm just messin with ya

You rule!!!
Wink

Last edited by Heliogabalus on Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
PxRxPx

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reaper's Grave wrote:
PxRxPx wrote:
PFL wrote:

Which store do you work at? I once talked to a guy at the Salem, NH store who said he worked a long time in the warehouse and we discussed metal records once, not sure if you're the same guy?

But yes, I've never seen any Newbury Comics store dead during the day. Welfare Records does pretty well due to dedicated groups who buy records from mike on a constant basis, he travels to record shows, and I'm sure the Anchors Up venue in basement of the building he owns helps contribute to boosting sales since they always keep the store open all night when there's a show.

Armageddon I don't get to go to often, but they always have tons of new titles coming in, and seem to do pretty well also, plenty of good stuff from mailorder too, I always find new stuff from NWN, HHR, etc at the store, and many punk 7''!

Nope, I work at the Burlington store.
banned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heliogabalus wrote:

I'm just messin with ya

Hah! The word "mensagasm" could be used to describe geeking out, e.g. "I saw the 5,000 piece puzzle of the space shuttle and had a MENSAGASM!"

In the meantime, back to the topic:

http://www.amerika.org/2009/products/why-publishing-music-and-movie-industries-fail/

New record industry statistics are out; some interpretation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: