P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Demise of the Record store
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conservationist
banned

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Elite wrote:
With rents so high it's inevitable, combined with falling sales due to downloading scum.

I don't think that's it at all.

I think declining quality of music has caused a declining quality of metal fanbase, which means we have more people who don't buy their bad music because it's worthless and just download it instead.

I mean, who's going to give a fuck about the new Immortal in six months? Download the goddamn thing and delete it. It's "greener" if nothing else.
Heirophant.326.AV

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missing Link records here in Melbourne is a decent shop, and they seem to be doing ok. the vinyl stock seems to fluctuate, but I think thats because the good stuff gets snapped up as soon as it comes in. I think they do better than a lot of other places because they support the local bands, the staff know their shit and are cool blokes to talk to. They even have bands playing instore from time to time.
Reaper's Grave

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PFL wrote:
I think a reason why a chain like Newbury Comics (which I believe is just in the Massachusets area) does pretty good (from what I am assuming) is not only does it have a decent amount of music to choose from but they also carry a bunch of other cool shit to buy as well like toys, books, etc. It's a store which carries a bunch of cool stuff to sell along with being known as a record store at the same time.

In Toronto, one of our best indie stores Sonic Boom, a pretty huge place in itself, pretty much makes the majority of its revenue through its massive used CD section which can be a gold mine for metal titles, from bigger titles to obscure rarities as I have found some really cool items while browsing their never ending used CD section. Their metal section is also quite substantial. I think this store will be around for quite a while just as stores like Ameoba (can't think of a more amazing record store) will be around for quite a while as well.

This is true about Newbury comics, they attract whole groups of crowds and promote sales.

Unfortunately the chain has gone down the shitter with releases. Knowing many people who work at many different stores, it really sucks sometimes because I've been told how the stores deal with vinyl.

The chain divides them into areas where there's higher demand for a specific record. In the town I live in, the store down the street does not carry much metal vinyl because it sells poorly in my town, so i must drive about a half hour or into the boston area to find decent metal vinyl, but i can see why metal vinyl doesn't sell. I'm in some indie fag city, not to mention their vinyl selection consists of Dissection's last album, overpriced black sabbath/metallica/megadeth reissues, sunn O))) and wolves in the throne room. Otherwise the selection is terrible for metal.
The_Elite

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conservationist wrote:
The_Elite wrote:
With rents so high it's inevitable, combined with falling sales due to downloading scum.

I don't think that's it at all.

I think declining quality of music has caused a declining quality of metal fanbase, which means we have more people who don't buy their bad music because it's worthless and just download it instead.

I mean, who's going to give a fuck about the new Immortal in six months? Download the goddamn thing and delete it. It's "greener" if nothing else.

firstly- you and your ANUS friends evidently don't work in or around the industry so you really don't have a clue.

secondly- who's going to give a fuck about the Immortal lp?- probably the hundreds of thousands who buy it, I can guarantee one thing, that it will be their biggest selling album.
SS Death Dealer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i miss being excited about going to the record store.
TheUnborn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wraith wrote:
I only download stuff that's not available anymore...

That is the reason why 90% here hates you for downloading?
Conservationist
banned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Elite wrote:
firstly- you and your ANUS friends evidently don't work in or around the industry so you really don't have a clue.

It didn't take you long to fail.

Why not just debate the point?

Evidence shows file sharers are the ones most likely to buy.

Then why are they buying less?

Gee... a general falling off of quality? No shit, you don't say.

It's not just in metal but across the board.

Blaming MP3 pirates is short-sighted. The people who used to buy a lot stopped buying.

Maybe we should look at the obvious: THE QUALITY OF THE MUSIC.

Otherwise, why would the same thing be happening to the book industry as well? Publishers are falling right and left.

But don't let that stop you. Just claim you have more knowledge, even though you run away every time one of "us" brings up a debate topic.

You're so clueless you haven't even yet figured out that ANUS is like "Anonymous"... ad hoc and without fixed personalities.

Still in the dark? Keep swinging, champ!
PhantomOTO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two non-chain record stores in my hometown. The Mad Platter always sucked. Weak selection (occasionally something decent in the used section, such as the CD copy of Saxon's Denim & Leather I have to this day) and a really condescending staff. Chester County Book & Music Company's record store has really gone down hill, though, since they moved into a smaller space a few years back. They used to have an acceptable selection of stuff on larger metal labels. Now they only have the absolute most popular metal bands, and even then they might not have certain albums.

I've never really gone out to the record stores in Lancaster (my university is located jut outside) because they're way overpriced and don't have much of what I'm interested in (though while browsing an online stock list for one I did see one had a copy NWN!'s reissue of Order From Chaos' An Ending in Fire, but I already had that).

Based on my observations, I would suggest that a lot of independent record stores are struggling because their stocks pretty much are the same as the chains. I wasn't around "back in the day", but it seems that independent record stores then stocked items from independent labels. Now that's not so true. The two places in my hometown pretty much exclusively stock things from the majors or the huge independents. Hell, a lot of the chains even do batter. I got the reissue of October Tide's first album and Necrophobic's demo compilation at an FYE in a mall. I was hoping to get one at my local place because I figured they would carry it as Candlelight USA is close by and has good distribution anyway. No such luck. Plus, chances are the chains offer a slightly better price. The internet has made it easier for underground labels to do their own distribution, obviously, and that is my major source of music, new and old. These are why record stores are suffering, not really the quality of the music. I think if you ask just about any metal fan where he/she buys music, and unless he/she lives in an urban area with lots of specialized independent stores, he/she will tell you it's the internet.

And while sales for the major music industry have definitely fallen off, do we know necessarily that it's the same in the underground? Are dedicated metalheads actually buying less than they were 10 or 20 years ago? I think shifts in distribution make it harder to truly account for that. I somehow doubt that sales for places like NWN!, Hells Headbangers, or The Basar end up in RIAA figures.

Last edited by PhantomOTO on Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:38 am; edited 3 times in total
Kapalika

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conservationist wrote:

[...] ANUS is like "Anonymous"... ad hoc and without fixed personalities.

In short: A gathering of verbose assholes.

@ into the pit:
Are you referring to Scheibenkleister? If so - yeah, it is a killer store!
That particular store is more or less a sencond hand store but they do stock a small selection of new cds and vinyls.
I regularly visit it, also because I get items like protective sleeves and whatnot there.

Last edited by Kapalika on Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:37 am; edited 3 times in total
Son of Satan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the record stores around here are run by indie hipster dick heads and they never stock metal albums unless im looking for the whole twisted sister discography.

-Trade List-
Hellfire Commando

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in Montreal, the local metal shop (Profusion)'s revenues increase every year. They support local acts and carry imports, but no used section (which kind of sucks, but I go to other stores instead). I could stay there for hours talking about everything with Rémi, the owner. I still order CD's from there from time to time!!

Beside that, we have an awesome metal vinyl selection at this shop called 33 Tours, but they check ebay for prices unfortunately... at least they put them a bit lower than what they usually sell for, so that's great.

Otherwise, there is another shop that gives very good money for used CD's, therefore they have an awesome used CD selection for good prices.

Record shops here are definately not dying here... and I'm always telling the younger metalheads to keep on buying records, or they will see this vanishing before their eyes!
GoldenBull

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read an interesting book recently about how internet shopping has transformed music buying. Basically the idea is that record stores in physical form can only conceivably stock a very small percentage of available music, but online retailers/mp3 sites can stock an infinite amount of music all over the world. As a result most people have abandoned purchasing the usual "hit" records, which drives down business in record stores (shop owners can only afford to stock things more likely to sell, meaning most of the time it's Britney Spears and whatever garbage you hear on the radio that makes it into the store). So, now we have millions of people all over the world able to actually satisfy their own particular taste, meaning that instead of making millions of dollars selling one record, these sites are making millions of dollars selling a couple of copies of millions of different songs/records. The entire economic model of entertainment has changed, and it is way more complicated than just discussing "quality/talent/dedication to the old school ways" or whatever the fuck else you guys are talking about.
Just like anything else, this is about money, and no matter how upset it makes people who love record hunting (which is a TINY minority of people which gives you zero clout in the marketplace), it isn't going away anytime soon.
Enjoy the ability to find any music you want, anytime. It is a good thing.
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metal Haven here in Chicago is still alive and kicking, and I hope it will be for a long time. I buy 99% of my music there. I usually ends up saving me money over mail order. For example, I picked up the Von double LP there for $20. If I would have ordered it direct from NWN, it would have cost me around $30 with shipping !

There are also some other shops in Chicago, like Reckless Records (3 different locations)... its mostly punk and hipster crap, but they do get quite a few metal LP's in there that people unload. You just have to get lucky being there at the right time. I've padded out my collection with a lot of lost classics for less than $10 each from there.
nonwave

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lately it doesn't seem like the record stores in my area are stocking the music i actually want, so i've been using mailorder most of the time. there ya go. if they had what i want, i might buy it there.
Conservationist
banned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellfire Commando wrote:
Record shops here are definately not dying here... and I'm always telling the younger metalheads to keep on buying records, or they will see this vanishing before their eyes!

Record stores here are doing great, but then again, they didn't jump on the new punk/rock-infused metal trend.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: