P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Demise of the Record store
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marty Worm

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wraith wrote:
So I have become a downloading leech. I know that 90% here hates me now, but I don't care. I have put enough money in this scene, it's not my fault that everything's fucked up now.

"It's not my fault"... yet being a download leech is contributing to the fall of everything. So yeah... it's partially your fault.

Downloading stuff is a good thing if one is using it to preview material before they buy. There's a lot of shit out there right now, so it's good to use it as a quality control medium. BUT... people settle for lame ass quality mp3's, then bitch about the sound quality of the release, or are fine with 1's and 0's over the tangible medium of having the CD or the LP. I would rather have the actual release if I'm into it.... then rip it to the ipod for more convenience. People these days just think they have to hear everything, even though everything may not necessarily be worth hearing. It's all to satisfy people need for instant gratification is why the record industry suffers. Granted.... they needed to be shaken up and lower prices, but this suffering trickles down directly to the artists struggling to survive. If you think it doesn't hurt them, then you are in denial.

-Marty/Bindurne

Worm Gear Zine:
http://wormgearzine.com
Wraith

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what? Hail the Downfall!!!

Seriously, if there would be any artists that deserve to be supported, then I would buy there records. But there aren't any. Everything is done since 1996. Nuclear War Now!

Twisted Evil
sexaxe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've worked in record stores for the past 12 years. I was recently hired at the best store in town. In terms of new stock, we don't stock much. Mutiples of hot new indie, rock, folk, blues stuff. Where we do excel is used records and dealing with used records can bring in customers and cash flow. Not too much of a metal scene in town/ the store doesn't do well with underground metal titles.

Of course, dealing with used records has pros and cons.
Pros- amazing stuff pouring in, could ebay the more obscure pieces, instore the more well known pieces (depends on the town demographic- we're in a college town so oop indie lps do very well in store).

Cons- the volume of $1 bin records. Everyday this shit pours in.
You have to stay on the grind to track down good stuff. Many great collections we buy come in through the boss traveling to look at collections, not coming in the front door.

DVDs and video games are not a viable solution. I've been in stores that stocked both and they suck to deal with and are going by the way of the cd and dinosaur.

Small stores cannot compete with a Best Buy/ Target. These chains buy in bulk at a cheaper rate. Case in point, the new Pearl Jam (I know I know) is available exclusively at independent stores AND Target. OUR COST, $15. You could buy it at Target for $12. This is true for nearly all major label releases. Anyone who says indie stores aren't being competitive must be into the art of giving up before trying or entirely clueless.
into the pit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an excellent record shop in town that I think is going to stay here for a few more years. I guess they live off regular customers spending lots of money there on old jazz and rock things and stuff. this is in fact my favorite store ever, nice used stuff for decent prices, I always hand in my search list and he looks for the items and reserves them. he even pulled out sunn o))), mz412 and other records from his personal collection for me and reserves all the cool black/death/thrash and crust records for me that he gets in. he gets a certain record in and immediately knows it's for me.

I fucking love that guy and support him wherever I can. I've talked to him a lot about the fading away of record stores and of course he's noticed it too, but his strategy is decent selection and prices (focussed on vinyl for the most part), honesty, excellent customer service and well being a record freak I guess. it works, the other store in town, which was cool years ago, has turned into a hipster store with rip-off prices, new clothing, a tattoo artist, a café and stuff like that and today it SUCKS!

support your local record dealer if he deserves it. otherwise, promote his downfall! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the days of brick and mortar record stores are running out. The one semi-local store around here used to have good deals on used vinyls but the last time I went there were two prices on all the used stuff. One was the price they used to charge which were good deals most of the time, and another thats the new ebay type price. Alot of the time the old sticker is still on the record and the new one is double the price. The internet just makes it too easy to find just about anything you want . No store could possibly stock the obscure things most of us are looking for and at a decent price. Its too bad though as the whole scene used to kind of revolve around local places at one time, although it was quite a while ago...
Wraith

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's face it: It's not only the record-industry that suffers from modern times and its economic changes. What about video-stores? Movie-theaters? Printed media? So, this lamenting like "boo-hooo, downloading is the reason no one buys the records from my crappy band" sucks big time. If you want to make money, you should design video-games or sell drugs. Period.

Last edited by Wraith on Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total
PFL

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a reason why a chain like Newbury Comics (which I believe is just in the Massachusets area) does pretty good (from what I am assuming) is not only does it have a decent amount of music to choose from but they also carry a bunch of other cool shit to buy as well like toys, books, etc. It's a store which carries a bunch of cool stuff to sell along with being known as a record store at the same time.

In Toronto, one of our best indie stores Sonic Boom, a pretty huge place in itself, pretty much makes the majority of its revenue through its massive used CD section which can be a gold mine for metal titles, from bigger titles to obscure rarities as I have found some really cool items while browsing their never ending used CD section. Their metal section is also quite substantial. I think this store will be around for quite a while just as stores like Ameoba (can't think of a more amazing record store) will be around for quite a while as well.
dalecooper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wraith wrote:

Seriously, if there would be any artists that deserve to be supported, then I would buy there records. But there aren't any.

You take the time to download but say that there are no artists that deserve even a little of your money - typical hypocritical rationalization. If you want to download illegally and fuck the bands and labels, just own up to it. Don't act like it's somehow justified.
Wraith

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are bands that still exist and I buy their records. Because they are good. Last Beherit, Absu, Darkthrone etc. for example was easy to get via bigger stores nearby. But in the flood of shitty copies you are simply not interested to check out underground-label XYZ for some new shit. You take the easy way via Myspace, and then you forget it and you prefer to download some unknown obscure shit from 1983 because boring band ABC from 2005 just sucks. I only download stuff that's not available anymore and I really dare to believe that these bands NEVER got any money for their records at all. If there WOULD be a record store right around the corner which would sell anything new that would be good, I surely would buy it. It's not a question that I would not spend some bucks on good music. This is in a way a modern (fast and unpersonal) form of tape-trading. Really, I would prefer to buy a magazine around the corner, see more cult flyers etc. But this is (sadly) a dying culture...
God Slayer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am lucky to have a store like Vintage Vinyl in NJ which is only an hour or so from my house. They have one of the best metal selections I've ever seen and the store appears to be doing well.
Fornication

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Demise of the Record store Reply with quote

Heliogabalus wrote:
How many of you buy records mostly through mailorder?
There ones I used to frequent
were like the old school barber shops.
You could buy some shit and discuss
music for awhile.
It seems as if they are fading away.
So sad Sad

There was one good record store like that from my province. Oct Ink... you could actually go in there and talk to the guys about the best shit, and they only had punk and metal... lots of rare shit. All other record stores ive been to are just a cluster fuck of everything and you have to look forever, and the people working at them fucking suck.
Sacrilegio

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it depends on location. From what I know, Neseblod records in Norway and Repulsive Records in Sweden are doing okay. There is a much higher demand base in those countries than in America. Aside from having a larger metal-fan base, the countries are also smaller and more centralized, which I would assume promote a greater sense of community.
adrian5118

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rasputin's near my house, seems to be doing way better than the initial Tower Records that was there. I think it has to do with the staff being die-hard listeners to whatever genre they prefer , and that they actually listen to their customers about what is either desired or popular. Maybe 2 or 3 the 6 or 8 floor staff seem to be into metal and one is a local promoter, which is to me (at least partially) responsible for the metal selection they have. I've noticed way more people talk about Rasputin's than Tower Records (well actually, I never heard anyone talk about Tower Records, maybe it had to do with their lame ass selection, I'm not sure), and I think it's humorous that Rasputin's is doing better by word of mouth versus Tower Records and their advertising.

Still need to pick up that vinyl copy of Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-Ka that has just been sitting there!
ascha

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BuKKaKeBaptisM wrote:
i dont know if anyone has been to HOSPITAL RECORDS in Manhattan. I am very fucking suprised how he stays open because his selection is black metal and noise. More noise than metal too. And his prices aren't good either. Has anyone been here. Not talking shit just stating the obvious. Sorry dude.

i go there pretty often. it probably stays open because the owner runs hospital productions and performs as prurient and in ash pool. pretty nice guy, and one of the best record stores i've been to. what's wrong with the prices? most cds are around 10 bucks..no tax. that's not so bad
SepticSchizo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the new Immortal album on both cd and LP the day after it came out in a chainstore. But thats as underground as it gets, in that chain. Laughing

I buy most of the stuff I listen to online.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: