P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Demise of the Record store
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heliogabalus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:38 am    Post subject: Demise of the Record store Reply with quote

How many of you buy records mostly through mailorder?
There ones I used to frequent
were like the old school barber shops.
You could buy some shit and discuss
music for awhile.
It seems as if they are fading away.
So sad Sad
The_Elite

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With rents so high it's inevitable, combined with falling sales due to downloading scum.
CR99

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah the whole town used to be full of record stores...now there is only one left...i guess most prefer by ordering via email instead
Heliogabalus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CR99 wrote:
yeah the whole town used to be full of record stores...now there is only one left...i guess most prefer by ordering via email instead

Seems like that's becoming the only
choice.
TORTURER

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True.Most of the records we get from internet mailorders.Is it because there is no more good traditional stores with metal records and therefore everyone is using these internet stores?...I mean,did they extinct because of internet ,or let's say this the sign of our times? I still remember the magic surrounding of each visit after school in local store to get few brand new tapes or zines...
peterott

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also in my town some record shop died in the past, but some are still alive. Though they are doing their best to ruin themselves as well: They don't sell much raries in their shops anymore, but directly on their ebay-accounts.

Also some of the part-time employees are Metal fans, so chances are very low to see a good rarity in the shop. Just the shitty CDs with holes in barcodes or folded backinlays...and the heaps of Whitesnake/Scorpions LPs filed under "Heavy".
hellhippie666

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corporate BS stores like tower destroyed the only record stores in my town , as long as i don't have to pay ebay prices all the time i'm perfectly cool with internet ordering , but man i lived in record stores from 1988 to 1995
20 Buck Spin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My physical store will be lucky to make it through the year. A few reasons why:
1. Everyone has less money to spend, therefore...
2. I have less money to buy stuff for the store
3. I am in too small a town to run the store I want to run based only on my interests (Metal, Noise, Old Blues/Folk)
4. People talk about supporting stores but don't actually do it.
5. Sales are down over 50% just in the last year, which was down nearly that much from the year before...

I would love to keep a store running but you can't do it without customers.
Been thinking about moving to a bigger city and trying a more focused store. But that means higher rent, cost of living, relocation, etc...
dalecooper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Record stores are fading from existence. Sad but inevitable. I had three in town that I used to frequent - out of those, in the last two years one has closed, another moved far from my house and slimmed down their selection, and the third has shifted their focus to indie rock and away from the genres I like best.

The truth is, the only things I buy locally any more are big new releases that I know I can find around here, like the new Megadeth. Which I bought at Best Buy - I knew they'd have it and that it would be on sale as a new release. I'd love to support the smaller stores but their selection is no better than Best Buy any more, they get their shipments later, and their prices aren't competitive. So I buy stuff like that at Best Buy (rarely) and mail order the rest of the time (which is frequently).
Marty Worm

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in Traverse City, we have FYE (For Your Entertainment).... a corporate Mall record store. I was there the other day to dig through their stock since they incorporate used discs in with the new. Last year, they took out the metal section and filed all the titles in with the rock section. So it literally takes 2 hours to go through everything. I bitch about this to the manager every time I'm there, but it doesn't seem to matter. Also, I've noticed less metal titles in general in their racks. I asked about his as well the other night and the clerk replies, "Yeah.... we noticed that as well. Kinda weird, but corporate hasn't been sending us as much metal these days".

I know it's hard for stores, but when they don't listen to the customer at all, it makes it difficult to try and support them.

Another weird thing.... I overheard a customer ask one of the employees about a release. The employee responded, "we don't have that in stock, but we do have a new service we just started where we can get you the release in about 10 minutes via download, burn it to a CDR with the artwork, for $13".

$13!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's a normal price for an actual CD release and they're trying to push the CDR for the same price? Wow. If that's trying to survive in this modern age, then they are doomed to fail.

Lastly.... 1 independent shop did open up here in TC, but it's all alternative and hardcore titles. There is a metal section, but it's all trendy stuff. Not even worth checking out more than once every 2 months with the hope something cool comes in used.

I long for the days of taking every saturday to go hunt through CD and LP bins for new music. It appears to be a dying event.

Not a big fan of the way things are going.

-Marty/Bindrune

Worm Gear Zine:
http://wormgearzine.com
Karan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are destined to disappear, unless they try new things...like selling weird DVD's or videogames or something...but if they just carry on music, they are destined to die...sad but true...
BuKKaKeBaptisM

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont know if anyone has been to HOSPITAL RECORDS in Manhattan. I am very fucking suprised how he stays open because his selection is black metal and noise. More noise than metal too. And his prices aren't good either. Has anyone been here. Not talking shit just stating the obvious. Sorry dude.
Werewolf

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Around a year ago I found some record I was almost sure I would buy, but wanted to give a brief listen to a song or two in order to make sure it's what I need. It's definitely a used record and the price was low (7$), however it was sealed (there's a macine for it in the shop). I asked the seller to open it and lemme give it a brief listen. The old man (who opened that shop some decades ago) told me "just download it in the internet and check it out there, it's not a place to get introduced to new albums, do you homework in order to decide whether you wanna buy it or not!". I wonder how come they're still opened if that's the service they give their costumers. However it's sad that record shops are becoming history indeed.

Last edited by Werewolf on Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Wraith

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest: I don't buy records anymore.

Because:

- There are no more record stores
- I am too lazy to order something
- There's nothing new that really interests me

So I have become a downloading leech. I know that 90% here hates me now, but I don't care. I have put enough money in this scene, it's not my fault that everything's fucked up now.

Sometimes I walk around second-hand markets and look for records, but most of the time there's only shit.
rauta

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just earlier today I was looking for a copy of the latest Bat for Lashes album on vinyl and before clicking the confirm order button on amazon I realized I should probably see if my local store carries it just for support. Yes, they did, and it would have cost me a good four euros more to go get it from them than have it delivered to my door from the multinational giant. So choosing between the two... no contest.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: