P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

What's your views on the "5 dollar distro" concept
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kakarot SS5

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conservationist wrote:
Kakarot SS5 wrote:
Vinyl collection is a trend as CDs are(were) so it will die as soon as a new fashion format comes ...

I'm going to lodge a small criticism of this: vinyl is sort of THE ORIGINAL format, so will I think remain eternally popular, like muzzle loaders, fountain pens, long-stem pipes and religion.

Never denied or questioned the vinyl as an original format; vinyl almost died few years ago and that fever rised up again, so as every fever (CD/TAPE/Vinyl) will expire, so in the meanwhile I will enjoy all formats Wink and you can keep thinking, drinking, jumping, worshiping God, collecting CDs/tapes/vinyl, or whatever you want to do. Cool

Trade/Sale:
http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40729
GoldenBull

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy CDs all the time. I especially like CD collections of out of print singles/comp tracks/splits/etc like the Teitanblood CD.
Of course, there are many great albums that are not out on vinyl, both new and old.

I definitely love $5 CDs.
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ross Liew wrote:
Do CDs still sell nowadays? What with all the free downloads on blogs where you can practically find anything you want.. Granted you won;t have the inlays and sleeve art but you do get the music which is the primary reason why we buy the CDs in the first place. I used to run a distro couple of years ago, to much satisfaction but seeing as how digitalizing of music gets more and more rampant, i do not see the point in releasing or distributing CDs anymore.

I do believe most will download the music, get a taste of it and purchase the vinyl version instead.

Opinions?

Vinyl is still a niche obsession..... as you said, most people will download a sample of a band they've never heard, and if they like it, they will buy it. But, I think 80% or more of them will buy it on CD. At least thats what I've noticed with people. At the metal shop here in Chicago (metal haven).... its only the old school metalheads that buy the LPs, younger people and people that haven't been into metal for more than a few years buy cd's exclusivly. If I love an album, I will always buy the vinyl if possible .But I stil lbuy CDs as well, just so I can listen to them in the car on my way to and from work, which is when I get the majority of my listening done...

All in all, cds will be around for a long time still.
GoldenBull

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's another good point. If I truly love an album I will always want vinyl and CD both, just for the car and the house. Can't always afford that, but whenever I can (and the album is worthy) I do it.
Kakarot SS5

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoldenBull wrote:
That's another good point. If I truly love an album I will always want vinyl and CD both, just for the car and the house. Can't always afford that, but whenever I can (and the album is worthy) I do it.

Yes, I do the same if the album is a killer issue in my taste I try to get the vinyl version (if available) if not the CD will work and don't download music and all albums in my I-touch comes from my collection Cool

Trade/Sale:
http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40729
ootoss

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_Hunter wrote:
Can you pm me or post a list of the $5 distros you know of.
http://www.epitomite.com/iframes/distro.htm
all CDs are $10 and it's buy 3 get 3 free, so 6 CDs is $30 (free shipping in the US too).
Mz412

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheap CD's are great. So i can buy stuff i don't really know and
if its shit, i trow just $5 away, not 15 or more. I think is always
the same, that stuff you really want, you give more money for,
the stuff you don't know or need so much, you won't give much.
I bought lots of stuff cheap and then i began to collect the stuff
from the band and bought directly and/or for normal prices as
well as for cheap stuff.
vugelnox

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I strongly agree with the notion that this shit isn't free and still don't understand the mentality of those who go about stealing it without any guilt or intention of purchasing a physical copy later (although it seems most on this forum don't fall into that category).

The "I'm broke, no money, can't afford it" excuse gets no sympathy from me. Ok so you don't have the disposable cash to buy it, and really thats none of my business, but it doesn't forgive stealing it. It should mean that you just don't get to hear it but of course with the sense of entitlement so common today people aren't willing to accept that. Rolling Eyes
In Solitude

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another post in this thread reminded me of something. There's a shop here in Seattle that gets NWN! titles in (vinyl and CD) and marks them up around 200 percent, as most of the CDs are $15 or above. Smart business strategy.
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vugelnox wrote:
I strongly agree with the notion that this shit isn't free and still don't understand the mentality of those who go about stealing it without any guilt or intention of purchasing a physical copy later (although it seems most on this forum don't fall into that category).

The "I'm broke, no money, can't afford it" excuse gets no sympathy from me. Ok so you don't have the disposable cash to buy it, and really thats none of my business, but it doesn't forgive stealing it. It should mean that you just don't get to hear it but of course with the sense of entitlement so common today people aren't willing to accept that. Rolling Eyes

I've never been faced with the download dilema. My computer is nowhere near fast enough to download anything at all ! there are a few things that I have on vinyl only that I ask friends to download for me so I can have a cd for the car......
Mz412

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vugelnox wrote:

the answer is really simple:

its just music. Entertainment, nothing more ...
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mz412 wrote:
vugelnox wrote:

the answer is really simple:

its just music. Entertainment, nothing more ...

SOME music is just entertainment...like top 40 pop shit. However, there is a lot of music that is genuine art,which is an expression of the composer and this expression is picked up upon by the acute listener. This can be life changing and life affirming in extreme cases. Im sure most of the people on this board get something much deeper from their music than mere entertainment.
Great music gives me chills down my spine when I hear it.....I can't say the same about a video game,sports, comedians or other entertainment.
IXTAB
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Solitude wrote:
Another post in this thread reminded me of something. There's a shop here in Seattle that gets NWN! titles in (vinyl and CD) and marks them up around 200 percent, as most of the CDs are $15 or above. Smart business strategy.

You might be surprised to know how LITTLE money they actually get by doing this. NWN's distributor charges $7.35 for the new PROCLAMATION CD, for example. Then they have to pay for shipping on top of that, rent for their store, employee wages, utilities, etc.

The other option for this store would be to buy them direct via NWN for $5 each but there is no option of combining orders from other labels. On top of that they might have to pay priority mail shipping rates instead of UPS ground.

No matter what, there isn't any money to me made selling music these days from a brick and mortar record store.
3. Unidentified band photos and youtube links
4. Memes
5. Ebonics

e-mail ixtab[at]nwnprod[dot]com regarding forum account activation or problems
TheLastWound

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love to buying music in any format (LP, MC, CD). I buy whatever i find, as long as i like the band or the album ofcourse. LP is much more goodlooking, cool to have etc but the cd is much more comfortable.
SepticSchizo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont download, unless its impossible to get. So even thoug I mostly listen to my Ipod, when Im not spinning LP`s, I like to own a hard copy. And hence support the band.

Most of the $5 cds are crap anyway, so I dont buy many of those. I still thinks its ok to pay $15 for a good cd.

I seldom buy without hearing, so I am one of those who likes homepages, reviews, myspace etc to get an idea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: