P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

What's your views on the "5 dollar distro" concept
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nonwave

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: What's your views on the "5 dollar distro" concept Reply with quote

I was wondering what Yosuke and/or anybody else running a label here has to say about the concept of the "5 dollar distro" thing that's happening these days. I'm interested in the philosophy as well as how it's working statistically.

I grew up buying records as cut-outs during the mid-to-late 80s and that bin was the first place I'd go looking for stuff - basically the place where everybody else skipped. it was great to find all this cool stuff for 3-5 bucks sealed that nobody else wanted or knew about. I mean, why pay 9.98 for some record when you can get all the coolest shit for few bucks . . .

I like vinyl just fine, but i'm mostly just into music, so i'm happy to buy cds if they're cheap and available. i always wondered why there was never a "cut-out" style distribution system for CDS the way there was one for lps in the '80s and '90s . . . obviously there's always been a ton of unsold cds out there for whatever reason.

now, this 5 dollar cd thing has come along, and, man, i really like it. taking a chance on a new disc for 5 bucks is like nothing. spending 14 or more and not liking it just seems wasteful, especially since i know how much they cost to manufacture (per piece, usually much less than an LP).

so, labels/distros - have you been selling more cds since you've dropped the prices? how did you make that change - did you just slash the prices one day, or was it gradual?

i'm thinking of doing the same with my own stock, but i'm worried that it won't make any difference in sales and i'll just be cutting my own balls off and making it harder to break even in the long run. i'm also worried that it'll piss of all the folks who paid 14 bucks each for them in the first place once i cut down the prices on everything. those people really are my bread and butter and i don't want to insult them.
Ross Liew

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do CDs still sell nowadays? What with all the free downloads on blogs where you can practically find anything you want.. Granted you won;t have the inlays and sleeve art but you do get the music which is the primary reason why we buy the CDs in the first place. I used to run a distro couple of years ago, to much satisfaction but seeing as how digitalizing of music gets more and more rampant, i do not see the point in releasing or distributing CDs anymore.

I do believe most will download the music, get a taste of it and purchase the vinyl version instead.

Opinions?
Conqueror Of Black Souls

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ross Liew wrote:

I do believe most will download the music, get a taste of it and purchase the vinyl version instead.

Opinions?
soulseller

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cd's still sell, although a lot of people on this board are in to vinyl (a lot) don't forget the majority of people still buys cd's
Allowance of Sin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried different pricing with CD's... I have to price most depending on what I have into them, but CD sales are so slow that it doesn't matter the price as far as I can tell. I've put a good chunk of what I have on sale (less then 5 bucks) and I am taking a hit on some of them but I want them to move. I probably won't trade for anymore CD's until I start pressing some releases on CD, and then I'll probably keep all CD's at 5 bucks after that. From what I can figure, people want vinyl, otherwise they'll just download it, the people that want the physical package are the ones that will make the purchase if vinyl isn't an option for them for whatever reason. Of course the economy can be a factor too, but my tape sales are through the roof, and I only move a few CD's a month unless its a popular title.

For me, about 85% of my sales are tapes and vinyl, but I have talked with other labels who say that tapes don't sell well for them, so maybe it's all just related to niche and how people view a label.
Morbid69

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still buy CDs quite often. I download quite often as well, however this is for my MP3 player. Nothing beats having a physical copy of the album and playing it on a real hi fi system. I'd never pay for MP3s.

Sure I can fuck around with cables and adapters to get my pc running through it, or burn the mp3s, or whatever....... but who has time for all that?

Besides, why go to that effort simply to avoid paying a few bucks for a CD, which in our world goes to funding underground bands and labels......

As for the price, anything under $20 is fine. CDs are indeed cheap to press, so if you sell them at $15 or whatever then that simply means more money to the band.
Kakarot SS5

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy both formats so for me its the same to trade/buy/sale both, you know there are amazing releases issued only in vinyl and others only in CDs.

Trade/Sale:
http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40729
Ross Liew

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the way forward for bands are to promote the hell out of their music by having it as widely spread as possible - the fastest and easiest way is to give it away free.

Make it back from the real activity which metal/HC/punk was created for - LIVE shows. When word spreads of your music, people will want to go to your shows and you'll more likely make it back from ticket sales and merch sales than CD sales solely.

Vinyls are for collectors & music afficianados IMO.
Die_In_Fire

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have on my distro cheap cd's (if you compare with other people from here), even pack-offers and still is hard to sell them. strangely some people prefer to buy expensive cd's from somewhere else. And about tapes... some are easy to move, but I have others since years and still nothing.

ps: allowance of sin, I can't browse on your Skeleton site... the menu doesn't works for me...
Allowance of Sin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Die_In_Fire wrote:
ps: allowance of sin, I can't browse on your Skeleton site... the menu doesn't works for me...

I'm trying to get that fixed. It is problematic depending on what browser your using. Unfortunately I can't find anyone who can do web design for me the way I want it done. If your looking for my distro list I have a post in the trade section.
Die_In_Fire

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ross Liew wrote:

Make it back from the real activity which metal/HC/punk was created for - LIVE shows. When word spreads of your music, people will want to go to your shows and you'll more likely make it back from ticket sales and merch sales than CD sales solely.

Vinyls are for collectors & music afficianados IMO.

not every band is able to do live shows. and I don't know how is reality there, but here in Chile the bands don't get any money for live shows (exceptions are bands like Atomic aggressor as you may guess), mostly the bands only get the bus tickets (and sometime half of them) and something for eat/drink, so getting money back from releases is important for bands/labels
In Solitude

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love cheap CDs. I buy a ton of CDs, and will continue to do so.
GHOAT

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get most of my CDs through trade, so I sell them for $5. CDs cost about $1.15 each to make if you are doing them in batches of 500 or more. Even Pro-CDRs can be done for as little as like $1.70 each in as low as quantities of 200.

I will usually not pay more than $10 for a CD, and I rarely buy them. I buy records and if I want it on CD, I will download it or rip it. I still listen to the 1000+ CDs I have. I will only buy a CD now if it is something I have to that is not on wax, or something old that I have to have, I.E. Upon the Throne of Apocalypse (SOMEONE SELL THIS TO ME FOR A GOOD, CHRISTIAN PRICE.)

Archasm CDs will always be $5. Sure, I would love to make a 300% profit on everything, but I would also have people stoked to come back to my site and buy more shit.

I was thinking about this today - I have a friend who used to buy shit from the Mall record store all the time (FYE). One day he came walking back to work (we both worked in another store in the Mall) from lunch, and he had bought Ride the Lightening and ...And Justice for All re-issues and paid $18.99 each. That is the most retarded thing ever. It cost Elektra $.06 each to make those, and both could be found at the local used store for like $7. I told him he was a fucking retard.
HELLTHRASHER -l-

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conqueror Of Black Souls wrote:
Ross Liew wrote:

Opinions?

or the CD version. .
http://www.freewebs.com/metalstormzine/
nonwave

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess part of the reason to buy a cd (or tape or vinyl) instead of just sitting around all day ripping off free mp3s from the internet because you think it's your natural born right is to show support for the band/label . . . i think a lot of people - particularly white americans - take this kind of stuff for granted. it's poisoned certain parts of the well, that's for sure. i mean, music will go on regardless, but a lot of bands aren't being shown much support due to the mp3 freaking-out that's going on right now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: