P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

How do you feel about different artworks for one release?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saevus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit biased on all accounts. I've done alternate artwork and had mine replaced as well.

I think that it comes down to the artists and bands having artwork that becomes pleasantly evokative of the music it is supposed to represent. Dissection's "Storm of the Light's Bane"s cover should and probably will not ever be replaced, as it is a competant work of art and most people familiar with the band instantly associate it with the album.

I'm not totally against photoshop, although heavy metal covers that use it tend to be horrible 3D and photomanipulation. There's plenty of good artwork done on the computer that mimics traditional methods very well.
Szatan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dalecooper wrote:
Szatan wrote:
Shut up you metal nerds, seriously, who gives a shit? _Listen_ to the records, don't just collect and watch them, geez.

Go download a few more mp3s and stop posting in conversations that are over your head.

Over my head? Metal..... and it's artwork being over my head? Ahahahahahaa, you, sir, gotta be be kidding. Yes, sometimes I do download mp3's, but that's not the point, the point is that to me, artwork does not matter, I buy records because of the music.

But, yes, I have to admit that I prefer actual drawings/paintings over photoshop pictures or some CGI crap, photoshop/CGI pics mostly look just crap.
p.a.e.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellhippie666 wrote:
the more excuses i have to buy different versions of records the better , i dig it actually

Rolling Eyes
Blood and Thunder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GHOAT wrote:
For me it just depends on the art itself. I hate when re-releases get terrible photoshop art.

But for instance, with the FB "Profano ad Regnum" CD/LP, I used two different versions - both images are from the same session, just different angles.

The new Graveland re-issues have terrible art. The cover to "In the Glare of Burning Churches" is one of the greatest ever, and why they did not use the original is beyond me. They did put it on the insert on the inside though...

No Colours were of the first wave of true photoshop offenders. Using those atrocious effects like clouds and the like... terrible stuff.
Then the devil must...

http://www.blackmetalrevolution.com/preview.html
http://www.blackmetalrevolution.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/bmrevolution
AlexBlume

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

agvd wrote:
I never liked the retarded goat head pentagram for the Peaceville Pentagram reissues. It's good to see at least their using the original cover for "Day of Reckoning" on the latest CD reissue.

I just bought digipack CDs of the 4th and 5th Pentagram albums. They were super cheap, which was cool, but when I got them I found certainly out why. Like digipacks aren't shitty enough already, at least use the original album covers on them!!!
ThornCross

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The subject is about different artwork, no a photoshoped one
instead of a hand drawing.
I'm actually drawing a piece for a reissue, only using black ink
like on the original cover.
The idea is more or less the same but the art is really different.
As usual some people will prefer the original one.
Caina

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Szatan wrote:
dalecooper wrote:
Szatan wrote:
Shut up you metal nerds, seriously, who gives a shit? _Listen_ to the records, don't just collect and watch them, geez.

Go download a few more mp3s and stop posting in conversations that are over your head.

Over my head? Metal..... and it's artwork being over my head? Ahahahahahaa, you, sir, gotta be be kidding. Yes, sometimes I do download mp3's, but that's not the point, the point is that to me, artwork does not matter, I buy records because of the music.

But, yes, I have to admit that I prefer actual drawings/paintings over photoshop pictures or some CGI crap, photoshop/CGI pics mostly look just crap.

Dude, coming into what is essentially a metal record-collecting forum and laughing at us for being 'geeks' is basically the same as walking around the Special Olympics shouting "haha, you're retarded!" It might be true, but you're the one who ends up looking like a dickhead.

www.myspace.com/cainaband
http://www.last.fm/user/WilburWhateley

Good traders/sellers: Yosuke, Grief, s.charlach x2, Blekt , headnhalf x2, destrucSEAN, Sadovahr x3, GROUND ZERO Entertainment, Ykh
dalecooper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Szatan wrote:

I think most of us do. But they are in big sleeves with art and inserts and etc. If nobody cared about that stuff, more records would be a plain black sleeve with the band name printed on it in Courier New, and maybe a bar code. Bottom line, I don't think it's that unusual for people who collect these things to care at least somewhat about the presentation. I would still very rarely not buy an album or a reissue just because of the art, but I appreciate labels that care about their product.

Szatan wrote:

Well there you go, you're a nerd just like the rest of us. Very Happy
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="dalecooper"]
Szatan wrote:

I think most of us do. But they are in big sleeves with art and inserts and etc. If nobody cared about that stuff, more records would be a plain black sleeve with the band name printed on it in Courier New, and maybe a bar code. Bottom line, I don't think it's that unusual for people who collect these things to care at least somewhat about the presentation. I would still very rarely not buy an album or a reissue just because of the art, but I appreciate labels that care about their product.

[quote="Szatan"]

Well said. The artwork/ general aesthetic of an album can go a long way in giving it some special charm. That being said, I won't write off an album because of shitty artwork, it just makes good artwork all the more compelling.
dalecooper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blodhemn9 wrote:

Well said. The artwork/ general aesthetic of an album can go a long way in giving it some special charm. That being said, I won't write off an album because of shitty artwork, it just makes good artwork all the more compelling.

Yeah exactly! If someone tells me an album is really good and the artwork is horrible, I'll still check it out. I own at least a dozen reissues with crap art because I couldn't find or afford the originals. It's not my favorite situation but the music definitely comes first.
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dalecooper wrote:
blodhemn9 wrote:

Yeah exactly! If someone tells me an album is really good and the artwork is horrible, I'll still check it out. I own at least a dozen reissues with crap art because I couldn't find or afford the originals. It's not my favorite situation but the music definitely comes first.

The only horrible re-issue artwork I own (that I can think of) is Exodus' "Bonded by Blood"...... horrible bland red cover with the logo and album title on it....of course, NOW the re-issue with the original cover is widely available, but Im not going to buy it again.
Detest Records

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: How do you feel about different artworks for one release Reply with quote

dalecooper wrote:
Like it/hate it/don't care? May sound like a dumb question, but honestly I think I prefer when a band uses the same artwork (or versions of the same artwork) for all editions of a release. Be it tape, CD, vinyl, reissue ten years later, whatever. I know with some reissues they can't find a good copy of the original art or can't get the rights, so they do something new; that's understandable. And sometimes the original art just sucked so there's nothing wrong with upgrading when the opportunity presents. But you see like the Merciless "Unbound" reissue where they had the original art but for some reason put it inside the layout, and do a generic black cover with the band logo - why? Or the reissue of "All the Witches Dance" where they zoomed in on the original photo and left off the band logo and album title - again, why? That is just a weird decision.

And I've seen a lot of recent releases where the tape, CD and vinyl all had different covers... that's just peculiar to me. I consider art part of the overall release package, and with these wildly different covers the music almost feels different (of course that's silly, but hopefully you know what I mean). A lot of labels I love have done this - NWN with Vanhelgd, Detest with the upcoming Ascended tape. I'm sure both of these are in accordance with the band's wishes and the different artworks are very good, in their own right; yet I think I still would have preferred the original art. The Vanhelgd CD cover is a little cheesy but fits their music perfectly, even though the LP cover is probably aesthetically better designed and colored. The Ascended MCD cover looks a bit like an old Seagrave thing, which is cool.

I dunno, anybody agree or disagree? Yosuke and Jerry - I suck and ought to shut up, yes? Very Happy

When ASCENDED asked be to release their new EP on tape I said that I would be happy to do it but that I did not want to use the CD/LP cover coz I thought it sucked ... matter of taste.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of reissue...
Here's a part of the one I'm working on (not 100% completed) !
Easy to find, I think ! ? Haha !

ias

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Artwork can bring new depths into the musical motifs, mostly I don't think it should be tampered with. It is an extension of the artist's vision and an extension of the era, kind of like the production is.
dawn patrol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the 3 covers for the new Deiphago album.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: