P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

New Megadeth
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: New Megadeth Reply with quote

I know there was a topic on here a week or so ago about it, but if I remember correctly it was more about if you are 'excited' for it or whatever.

That being said, have any of you heard it??? I picked it up today (only $9.99) at best buy this morning and have been listening to it all day at work.........

I think it's pretty fucking awesome Shocked . Sure, there are some crappy moments, but I think the album is about 85% awesome. A little bit too crisp and clean, but what else can one expect from a mainstream metal album in 2009.?

I think its definitly the best thing since Rust in Peace.....Kinda a mix of the all out shredding of Rust.. mixed with some of the more traditional hooks of Countdown to Extinction.

It really has surpassed my expectations of Mustaine at this point in his career. You guys really should give it a shot. I don't see how anyone who likes ANY old Megadeth won't like the vast majority of this album.

Twisted Evil
dalecooper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked it up - same store and same price actually - and just posted about it in the playlist thread. It's definitely the most enjoyable Megadeth in a long time. It's a little too clean and mechanical sounding, but that suits the band and all that shredding pretty well. No really bad songs (first time in a while) and several really good ones - plus overall it's a darker, thrashier album than I expected. I'm glad to have bought it.
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dalecooper wrote:
I picked it up - same store and same price actually - and just posted about it in the playlist thread. It's definitely the most enjoyable Megadeth in a long time. It's a little too clean and mechanical sounding, but that suits the band and all that shredding pretty well. No really bad songs (first time in a while) and several really good ones - plus overall it's a darker, thrashier album than I expected. I'm glad to have bought it.

absolutely.... The production is a little clean for my taste, but at least it's not overly compressed like 99% of newer releases.

Im more than happy with it!
dalecooper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blodhemn9 wrote:
but at least it's not overly compressed like 99% of newer releases.

I wonder if there's beginning to be reversal on this trend, maybe owing to a lot of the bad buzz about it (and the "Death Magnetic" flap). I've bought several big label albums recently where the levels were more reasonable. Still not back to old (like pre-CD) standards, but my ears will accept anything better than these super-squashed, super-loud CDs that were coming out for a while.

blodhemn9 wrote:

Me too - pleasant surprise all around.
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dalecooper wrote:
blodhemn9 wrote:
but at least it's not overly compressed like 99% of newer releases.

I wonder if there's beginning to be reversal on this trend, maybe owing to a lot of the bad buzz about it (and the "Death Magnetic" flap). I've bought several big label albums recently where the levels were more reasonable. Still not back to old (like pre-CD) standards, but my ears will accept anything better than these super-squashed, super-loud CDs that were coming out for a while.

blodhemn9 wrote:

Me too - pleasant surprise all around.

I've only had the displeasure of hearing Death Magnetic once, while in a long car ride with the windows down so I can't comment much on the compression of the album, although I've certianly heard talk of it being the worst thing ever produced !
dalecooper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blodhemn9 wrote:

I've only had the displeasure of hearing Death Magnetic once, while in a long car ride with the windows down so I can't comment much on the compression of the album, although I've certianly heard talk of it being the worst thing ever produced !

Not to get too far off topic, but - the interesting thing is I don't know if compression was even the problem with that CD. It's more that they clipped the shit out of it and left it like that. Good compressing and even hard limiting won't cause that amount of distortion. But the whole mess made a public concern out of the "loudness wars," so if it helps lead labels to do less compression, I say huzzah and hurrah and all that shit.
Dhorshonkari

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Megadeth is not bad at all. The 3rd track is pure Cryptic Writings era wannabe radio garbage, but other than that, I have no serious complains about this. Even the song that starts off like a ballad like 'In My Darkest Hour' from (So Far...) ends up not being a ballad at all.

Recommended for people who enjoy blistering leads, sharp riffs and non-I_LOVE_PENIS production.

- When comes the vinyl??

- Who is stocking the vinyl in Europe???

- What distros have the vinyl in North America????

- Looks like the vinyl is sold out everywhere.
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dhorshonkari wrote:
New Megadeth is not bad at all. The 3rd track is pure Cryptic Writings era wannabe radio garbage, but other than that, I have no serious complains about this. Even the song that starts off like a ballad like 'In My Darkest Hour' from (So Far...) ends up not being a ballad at all.

Recommended for people who enjoy blistering leads, sharp riffs and non-I_LOVE_PENIS production.

Yeah, the 3rd track ("44 minutes") is the worst by far, but the solo's are great in the song. I don't really get a 'cryptic writings' vibe from it, the leads blow away the whole of that album away....I get more of a weak 'countdown to extinction' track feeling from it.

You're right, even the ballad gets heavy and fast after 2 minutes.
Best Megadeth album in nearly 2 decades for sure...it ranks right up there with their best and would have been a perfect follow up to "Rust in Piece".
Dhorshonkari

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blodhemn9 wrote:

Yeah, the 3rd track ("44 minutes") is the worst by far, but the solo's are great in the song. I don't really get a 'cryptic writings' vibe from it, the leads blow away the whole of that album away....I get more of a weak 'countdown to extinction' track feeling from it.

Best Megadeth album in nearly 2 decades for sure...it ranks right up there with their best and would have been a perfect follow up to "Rust in Piece".

Indeed, a logical follow-up to Rust in Piece. Now all we have to do is pretend that the shit in between doesn't exist! Razz

- When comes the vinyl??

- Who is stocking the vinyl in Europe???

- What distros have the vinyl in North America????

- Looks like the vinyl is sold out everywhere.
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dhorshonkari wrote:
blodhemn9 wrote:

Indeed, a logical follow-up to Rust in Piece. Now all we have to do is pretend that the shit in between doesn't exist! Razz

The last 2 albums had their moments...3 or 4 good tracks on each, but nothing compared to what Dave unleashed on this one !
khaos

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great record. one of the best this year. from the first second to the last i have been enjoying this album to max. 1,320 is good to dice chicken breast up to as well Twisted Evil
GoldenBull

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy shit, I am really surprised to hear this stuff...just checked out some samples and if it weren't for Dave's voice I would never guess this is Megadeth.
Not a band I am a huge fan of but it's nice to see old dogs doing something decent.
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khaos wrote:
great record. one of the best this year. from the first second to the last i have been enjoying this album to max. 1,320 is good to dice chicken breast up to as well Twisted Evil

1,320 is probably my favorite track on the album.... that main riff could have come off of "Killing is my business....." or "Peace Sells". Plus the insane solo section for the last minute of the song and the near blast beats during the last few measures.

Fucking GREAT album.
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoldenBull wrote:
Holy shit, I am really surprised to hear this stuff...just checked out some samples and if it weren't for Dave's voice I would never guess this is Megadeth.
Not a band I am a huge fan of but it's nice to see old dogs doing something decent.

Samples don't do it justice! Its worth a puchase, for sure. Especially if you live in the U.S., the cd is on sale all week at Best Buy for $9.99.
vermin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definately some nice fucking solos on this album!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: