P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Receiving new records scratched or damaged
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Piotr Sargnagel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also a bit of a pain when a new record arrives with that nasty sand or grit in the inner sleeve. I put some nice scratches on a Night of the Vinyl Dead Jag Panzer LP when I pulled it out of there. Luckily they aren't too audible but what the hell is that stuff?
gravesnatcher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it's the static attracting dust to the record so it's a good idea to clean your records when you receive them to be safe. Also I would change out the paper sleeve for a better quality sleeve like a plastic one.
aBisMo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Backwards wrote:
Eivittu wrote:
Backwards wrote:
Eivittu wrote:
Backwards wrote:
Eivittu wrote:
Backwards wrote:
I've had a similar problem with the Impetuous Ritual LP, only the opposite. It got really distorted and crackly during the really low end parts. I also thought it was needle problems. I decided to just get a new copy because I thought maybe it could have just been a defective LP, but the same problem was present on the new copy.

I dare to claim that your cartridge/record player is to blame. Maybe your record player isn't set right, maybe the cartridge doesn't work properly with your record player etc. I have this record and it sounds perfect on my record player but when I played it on my father's record player (which is about ten times more expensive) it got distorted. Have you experienced this with any other records, preferably with some that has a lot of lows etc?

No, not to the extent of the Impetuous Ritual LP.

Hmm, that's odd. The fact that you simply got unlucky is pretty much out of question as well since you purchased another copy with same issue. Maybe something to do with the way the album was mastered and your needle can't follow the grooves properly? I guess we both agree that the album has very weird production so that could easily explain the distortion. I know you said it already but didn't you encounter this problem even with Grave Upheaval debut? Just asking as it's quite close to Impetuous Ritual production-wise. I haven't tested that album on my father's record player but will do the next time I visit him.

With the grave upheaval debut something else happens. Because it is soo bass heavy and resonant the bass drowns out everything. But that is due to my less than stellar receiver, I just turn the bass way down when I play that album. I do not get any distortion on it. I have a decent turntable, and put a grado black cartridge in it.

Okay, thanks for clearing that out. However, our discussion got me curious and now I really want to try it on my father's record player. By the way, did anyone else receive shrink wrapped Teitanblood 7C with damage on records? My copy has about 1cm sized audible mark on side D. Didn't see it as a big deal so decided not complain about it but would be interested to know if someone else had similar experiences.

I checked my copy and mine is clean. That looks like something that happened at the plant. A few of my records have similar marks, and ironically most of them were shrinkwrapped.

No problem with my copy that arrived via Iron Bonehead.
Cursed Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmflesh wrote:
Don't know about you guys but my copy of Nightbringer / Dødsengel lp sounds really shitty. All the high-volume parts (=almost the whole record) has this weird distortion on background. I was thinking about needle problems but I listened to it at a friend after spinning it on my player twice and the problem persisted.. Nothing visible on the surface.

I have a shitty sound on that split as well. Perhaps I should try and listen to it again. Didn't really bother to listen to it more than a couple of times, because of the bad sound.
Orpheus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bearsbearsbears wrote:
I've had quite a few records show up with audible scratches/blemishes or what have you recently too. Same goes for loud pops or clicks in random areas of a record that visually appear fine. Really frustrating stuff; especially when it doesn't come out with a run through the Nitty Gritty. I've been lucky enough to be dealing with distros who are more than willing to replace the defective stuff at their expense however which is nice, but fuck... how hard is it to get a record out the door of a pressing plant without completely shredding it? Stop fucking shrinkwrapping records.

That method mentioned earlier by Orpheus about applying pressure to my cartridge as it passes over the problem spots sounds interesting but I get the feeling I would just fuck everything up even worse than before. Some ballsy stuff, doing that, haha.

I only did it since the skip was causing the record to repeat. The song was unlistenable, a dropout or pop I can tolerate. In that case I really had nothing to lose.
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you guys have any tricks for reapplying glue to covers that are already coming apart? It seems to happen more often than I like with new albums.
iron tyrant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just use that tape that sticks both sides, it works perfectly fine.

Professor Black wrote:
NWOBHM is not a style of music.
Biervampir

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
Do you guys have any tricks for reapplying glue to covers that are already coming apart? It seems to happen more often than I like with new albums.

http://www.amazon.de/tesa-59100-Kleberoller-dauerhaft-nachf%C3%BCllbar/dp/B000J63KLG/ref=pd_bxgy_ce_text_y

I use that one. Perfect for re-glueing covers!
blewcheer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:

Normal glue. I suppose wood glue wouldn't hurt anything at all.
Backwards

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:

A very thin layer of normal glue. Make sure it's even and THIN.
lifeless

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have never received any damaged vinyl except for the Dissection "the end records" DLP that came out around 2006, which was warped, and an old Strife 7" that was probably sitting in a box in a damp garage for 15 years, also warped

in general though, do you think there are "hot" processes and physical areas in contemporary postal hanging that DON'T account for vinyl?
under a funeral shroom

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticing a trend here and I'm curious if anyone else has had this problem, which is mainly a small cluster of scratches located near the middle of the playing area of new unplayed (in one case even sealed) vinyl. Of course there is a loud noise during playback, terribly frustrating.

But now in scene of baby Watains and weak emo scums with haircut
Inverto Crosso

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pictures upload
Record #1 from the "Very Little Fun" 4 LP record set by Brighter Death Now that I bought this week. Special flour sprinkled edition? It was all new, factory sealed record set and the A-side of the first record was covered by this fine white dust. Don't know what that magic powder was, it looked really bad at first. I washed the record twice and it was all right. Now I can have my death industrial listening displeasure without any extra cracks and pops. The funny thing is that all the other records were nice and clean.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: