P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Horror for vinyl maniacs
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NWN PROD

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I don't see how this is an improvement on downloading music. People already don't care about packaging so how is this memory stick any different?

Web: nwnprod.com

harmless

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't care less. I my three favorite formats are vinyl, tape and the mp3. Vinyl for the aesthetics, tape for the kvltness and mp3's for the comfort and neatness. Nothing sucks as much as carrying those pesky boomboxes all around town around your ratass cds!
schadel_reich

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

harmless wrote:
Couldn't care less. I my three favorite formats are vinyl, tape and the mp3. Vinyl for the aesthetics, tape for the kvltness and mp3's for the comfort and neatness. Nothing sucks as much as carrying those pesky boomboxes all around town around your ratass cds!

I personally dislike mp3 players. I prefer carrying a portable CD player. Sure, it is big and you have to carry a lot of stuff with you, but it results in a far more enjoyable listening experience for me as to listen you actually have to sit down and listen properly if you are using a portable CD player.

Meanwhile, with this compact stick, I can guarantee that it is going to fail. Based on the people in my college, this thing is hardly going to do diddly shit in regards to downloads. Most people don't care about audio quality. If they want their crappy background noise, they will download the whichever file is quickest rather than bothering to buy an album on any format.
dronevil

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schadel_reich wrote:

I personally dislike mp3 players. I prefer carrying a portable CD player. Sure, it is big and you have to carry a lot of stuff with you, but it results in a far more enjoyable listening experience for me as to listen you actually have to sit down and listen properly if you are using a portable CD player.

Meanwhile, with this compact stick, I can guarantee that it is going to fail. Based on the people in my college, this thing is hardly going to do diddly shit in regards to downloads. Most people don't care about audio quality. If they want their crappy background noise, they will download the whichever file is quickest rather than bothering to buy an album on any format.

i only use portable players and headphones when i'm on the bus or on the road, couldnt hear much difference under such condition anyway so i'd rather bring a mp3 player with me. when i can "sit down and listen properly" that usually means i'm home and i can use my stereo rather than headphones and portable players...
thrashbeast

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I welcome new technology like this. Anything that will eventually bury the first-press, matrix code, hand-numbered, collectible metal bullshit that is common place these days, I'm all for it. The emphasis needs to be put back on the music again instead of advertising gimmicks, online auction prices, and special packaging that appeals to impressionable kids on the internet who are only buying and collecting this shit so they can brag to their friends or flop it on eBay when they're in need of extra cash. They look at music as more of an investment opportunity than anything else.

I don't know why this is an issue on this forum, anyway. You guys aren't stupid. 90% of the people on this planet are only concerned with one thing when it comes to music and that's that they're able to listen to it - and listen to it with convenience. That's who this new gadgetry is marketed towards. It was the same deal when the CD came out. Most people aren't obsessed with everything aside from the music (i.e. large artwork, how many were made, what color the format is that it's printed on, the novelty or nostalgia factor that comes along with playing vinyl, etc).

Only time will tell how well something like this will do. Don't fret, though. I'm sure all your vinyl first pressings that you drool over when you see what some moron on eBay recently bid on a copy are safe for the time being. Rolling Eyes
Evil Fifi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thrashbeast wrote:
Actually, I welcome new technology like this...

All in all well said.
Bjorn

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was reading about this stuff some time ago. I don't know how well it will go as im sure it will be marketed towards the types of people that can't tell the sound quality difference between an mp3 vs. CD (let alone the difference between Analogue and digital).
I'm sure there will be plenty of consumers that will rush out and buy it because it is the new hip thing and want to keep up with Jones'... But in the end, if they are smart enough (which i highly doubt. Remember, these are the same people that have made Ipod so big or will buy a product which says "In mp3 quality" and think it sounds amazing.), they will realise they can put their own music onto their own usb stick and have the same effect.
Maybe it will just go the same way as the Laser Disc went. I don't think it is something any of us should have to worry about. It won't ruin our ability to buy vinyls. But it is funny/interesting to see how things change because of the every day brain dead consumer.
Sadovahr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thrashbeast wrote:
Actually, I welcome new technology like this. Anything that will eventually bury the first-press, matrix code, hand-numbered, collectible metal bullshit that is common place these days, I'm all for it. The emphasis needs to be put back on the music again instead of advertising gimmicks, online auction prices, and special packaging that appeals to impressionable kids on the internet who are only buying and collecting this shit so they can brag to their friends or flop it on eBay when they're in need of extra cash. They look at music as more of an investment opportunity than anything else.

I don't know why this is an issue on this forum, anyway. You guys aren't stupid. 90% of the people on this planet are only concerned with one thing when it comes to music and that's that they're able to listen to it - and listen to it with convenience. That's who this new gadgetry is marketed towards. It was the same deal when the CD came out. Most people aren't obsessed with everything aside from the music (i.e. large artwork, how many were made, what color the format is that it's printed on, the novelty or nostalgia factor that comes along with playing vinyl, etc).

Only time will tell how well something like this will do. Don't fret, though. I'm sure all your vinyl first pressings that you drool over when you see what some moron on eBay recently bid on a copy are safe for the time being. Rolling Eyes

three things won't change and haven't changed since early 1900's: Film, vinyl and reel to reel tapes. The only got upgraded but their basic functions are the same. You know why? Because it's the BEST format regarding quality. when video came in to replace film people thought that will eventualy eliminate it. Not even the best video camera which costs biiiiig money can go close to a film camera. When you are recording in the studio reel to reel is still the best way. For vinyl I don't need to add anything. This is the reason why film, reel to reel and vinyl will never die despite the new technologies and furthermore they upgrade them constantly. There's NO way you can stop collecting madness, there are people who pay biiiigggggggg money for a... stamp or a coin. In the past some noise labels started to release music in 3.5" floppy diskettes. Now they are sold with crazy prices as collector's items. Also if bands WANTED to release in mp3/digital format they would do it for years now but still they CHOOSE to release in vinyl/CD's... When you buy clothes for example do you choose plain things or you want to be BEAUTIFUL as well? Well this new technology SUCKS visualy like CD's sucks visualy when it comes to how the artwork will look. Nothing can beat a nice artwork of a vinyl release.
Bjorn

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadovahr wrote:
three things won't change and haven't changed since early 1900's: Film, vinyl and reel to reel tapes. The only got upgraded but their basic functions are the same. You know why? Because it's the BEST format regarding quality. when video came in to replace film people thought that will eventualy eliminate it. Not even the best video camera which costs biiiiig money can go close to a film camera.

The only reason they get upgraded and will continue to get upgraded is because of the every day normal consumers needs. They want to have things that are easier and more convenient to use etc... Doesn't mean it is better. The majority of them can't tell the difference between the original and the newer easier to use but lacking in quality product.

The orignal formats will always be the best. Thats why you will see most real film makers and photographers using tape based cameras. Digital might be more conveniant and look sharper etc.. at first.. but in the end it looses too much realistic qualities.

Some would say that formats like film/reel to reel/vinyl etc... have more of a nostalgic or "what you are used to" quality and thats why people prefer them... Which could be true in some aspects. But if you get down to audio frequencies and visuals etc.. film/reel toreel/vinyl etc.. is far more superior!

On a side note...

Correct me if im wrong... Did you know that CDs originaly had the possibilty to fit the same sound frequencies as analogue formats? The only reason they didn't is because of the "standard" they decided to use for CDs. Maybe they will fix that when they start releasing blue ray audio discs. Though that still can't beat the experience you get of playing a vinyl and holding it in your hands etc...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: