P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

How do you keep your record collection
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 67, 68, 69 ... 87, 88, 89  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool records, maybe time to invest in some better speakers? Smile
caligulasremains

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fully agreed and thanks. i may just get a good soundcard for my computer and run the turntable through my computer and use my klipsch earbuds in the meantime. was thinking about that just the other night.
gotta move in a few months and i dont know where i'm going, may not be able to use speakers to their fullest wherever i'll be. i'll probably get a new preamp when i get a new soundcard, too, i have some $40 behringer job right now.
hm that is not a good idea at all. i figured i would have to buy an amp and speakers, costing around $400, so i thought a $80-$150 soundcard would be a cheaper idea. but, it turns out i can get some semi-decent speakers for around the same price, will just do that then.

I see people mentioning things like the Swans M200 Mk III ($400, like I had expected). But I am only willing to spend $200 tops... if there are any ideas let me know... I'm thinking studio monitors cause I don't want to buy an amp.
These look nice Swan D1080-IV. I will probably get a pair of the Swans. These look better (not aesthetically but the numbers seem to be a little better, I have no idea what I'm doing though), Swan M100MKII but are $250.
captainretardo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of buying new speakers, I recommend getting some solid headphones + a vintage receiver or integrated amp that has been well-maintained, and preferably recapped. There's tons of good ones by companies like Technics, Pioneer, Yamaha etc or maybe you can get lucky and find a nice Marantz. Couple that with solid bang-for-the-buck headphones like Grado sr80 or Grado sr225 since you don't know what your living environment will be in a year. You can always buy speakers later, and use the ones you have in the meantime.

A solid receiver or integrated amp will be light years better than your boombox. Since you wouldn't be powering low-efficiency tower speakers or anything, even something like 25-40wpc would be be great. You want clean power, not raw power.

$300-$400 total on headphones+a vintage receiver or integrated amp would be way better than your current setup, and would be significantly better than just buying new speakers. Even the world's best speakers getting a signal from your preamp+boombox aren't gonna sound good. See what kind of amps you can find in your area and ask people about them on audiokarma. You may be surprised at just how little you have to spend for a significant upgrade.
caligulasremains

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool thanks a lot! i've got these klipsch image S4 earbuds that are pretty great, I tend to use them more than the actual speakers as I'm usually listening to stuff late at night, but I suppose I could spend a lot more on some new ones. I was actually looking at those grados a few years back when I bought the klipsch ones.
captainretardo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know your headphones, but if you're satisfied with them that's even better. Spending $200-$300 for a nice vintage receiver/integrated amp would be a much better improvement than buying new speakers, imo. It would give you a nice core to build around, as you could always upgrade phones/speakers/TT etc later on, but you would have a nice improvement in the meantime.
SadisticChris

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure if this has been asked before, but how do most of you actually store your records when using outer sleeves?
I usually have it in this order Outer sleeve (opening to the right)>Album cover (opening to the right)>Inner sleeve (behind album cover, opening facing up).

I found this to be the best way to keep dust out when you use crates or a record store like storage method.
Captain Retard

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago i used Outer sleeve the way you do (opening to the right.)
Now i don't use them anymore. Want to avoid all the plastic.
But i use special lined inner sleeves. This is a must!
SadisticChris

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Retard wrote:

But i use special lined inner sleeves. This is a must!

I 100% agree this should be a must for anyone.
The ones I have been using are overkill, but I don't see myself going back to anything else any time soon.
Roy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/img] Sideshow. [img][/img] Tower is filled with Hardcore. I love Cro-Mags,Poison Idea,Sick Of It All,Judge,Killing Time etc. [img][/img]

Last edited by Roy on Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:41 am; edited 2 times in total
Fork Tongue

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...how do you reach the shit at the top?
Roy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fork Tongue wrote:
He,he. I just watch it from afar. Very Happy Nah,i need a chair or so to get it,i'm just a 5'6 dwarf. But someone over 6 might reach it. Height is 2,40 meters. No idea what that is in feet. Lack of space makes one go up. Haha.
DIMTSAGARAKIS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy wrote:
Fork Tongue wrote:
He,he. I just watch it from afar. Very Happy Nah,i need a chair or so to get it,i'm just a 5'6 dwarf. But someone over 6 might reach it. Height is 2,40 meters. No idea what that is in feet. Lack of space makes one go up. Haha.

how many cds?about 3000-3500?
IXTAB
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy wrote:
Fork Tongue wrote:

For me it would be much more of a pain in the ass to pick out a CD from the bottom row.
3. Unidentified band photos and youtube links
4. Memes
5. Ebonics

e-mail ixtab[at]nwnprod[dot]com regarding forum account activation or problems
Roy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DIMTSAGARAKIS wrote:
Roy wrote:
Fork Tongue wrote:

4 racks together,2 can hold a thousand and the 2 i got later around 1140. So a good 4000 or so. More than enough for a lifetime,but i keep buying more and more. And i ditched hundreds of cd's throughout the 24 years since i got my first cd player.
DIMTSAGARAKIS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy wrote:
DIMTSAGARAKIS wrote:
Roy wrote:
Fork Tongue wrote:

4 racks together,2 can hold a thousand and the 2 i got later around 1140. So a good 4000 or so. More than enough for a lifetime,but i keep buying more and more. And i ditched hundreds of cd's throughout the 24 years since i got my first cd player.

yes i know what you mean. believe me collect vinyls is worst
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 67, 68, 69 ... 87, 88, 89  Next
Page 68 of 89

Jump to: