P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

MERCYLESS - unholy black splendor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gabalgabow

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject: MERCYLESS - unholy black splendor Reply with quote

So I listened to 2 tracks of the new MERCYLESS (Fra) album.

Your thoughts?

When I read it was mastered by Dawn Swano, I was really afraid of a cripsy sound, it would suck and be misplaced (As it already occured with Swano)... Hopefully it isn't...
gabalgabow

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone listened to Mercyless - Unholy black splendor?
Didn't find it on Mp3 blogs and won't buy more comeback CDs without listening first.
GriefAG

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy it without hesitation. It's 100% pure Death Metal as MERCYLESS used to play on their 2 first albums. A truly successful and honest come back. Total support to them !
gabalgabow

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double post

Last edited by gabalgabow on Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total
gabalgabow

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GriefAG wrote:
You can buy it without hesitation. It's 100% pure Death Metal as MERCYLESS used to play on their 2 first albums. A truly successful and honest come back. Total support to them !

The thing is I become doubtfull with so-called "100% pure Death Metal records" and new comebacks.
If it's just to have one more "Pure death metal" record on the pile...
So sorry, but your comment didn't help.
GriefAG

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the only thing that I can say is that you can't compare a shitty reunion like PESTILENCE and the one of MERCYLESS, for example.
I mean MERCYLESS can still write quality, solid and catchy songs.
"Unholy black splendor" has all the elements required to be a killer stuff, at least, according to my conception of Death Metal, of course.
I discovered MERCYLESS with "abject offerings" back in 1992 when it was released and this new album can proudly stand along this one and "coloured funeral".
gabalgabow

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GriefAG wrote:
Well, the only thing that I can say is that you can't compare a shitty reunion like PESTILENCE and the one of MERCYLESS, for example.
I mean MERCYLESS can still write quality, solid and catchy songs.
"Unholy black splendor" has all the elements required to be a killer stuff, at least, according to my conception of Death Metal, of course.
I discovered MERCYLESS with "abject offerings" back in 1992 when it was released and this new album can proudly stand along this one and "coloured funeral".

I wouldn't say the new PESTILENCE albums are that bad... But you have to not dislike blasting death from the 90's, triggered drums etc...

I really liked the first MERCYLESS album, bought it in the 90's when I was a teenager. It was very inspiring, and I still dig the atmosphere.

For the new album, the two songs I heard are Ok, but it sounds like all the Death metal records I pilled up the last 15 years... If the whole album is only efficient in that manner, I might not order the CD...
GriefAG

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the opportunity to listen to PESTILENCE's "resurrection macabre" or "doctrine" and I think the problem is that they has sadly lost a part of their own style by trying to adapt their music to the more modern side of Death Metal...
Beside, as far as I am concerned, the inspiration is not really there.
Just a matter of personal musical taste, anyway.
If it was a new comer band, I would say it's ok but I tend to expect really more from an originator band that did such classic albums like "consuming impulse" or "testimony of the ancients".
"Consuming impulse" is really in my Top 5 of the immortal Death Metal albums : it's the perfect album from start to end so, it could explain why I may sound quite "severe" with them Wink

Actually, I am of the opinion that no Death Metal records post-1995 has given us masterpieces like back in the days which were also genre defining. It may sounds quite restrictive and even if there are some really great new bands around nowadays and some very good records got released duirng the last decade, it has not the same impact and nothing can top the Death Metal golden era. Maybe because I am becoming an old fart and I feel like the magic is gone so blame it on nostalgia ! he he

I am not looking for originality nor something unique because I like my Death Metal the ancient way and, anyway, all has been done in terms of Death Metal since the 80's, if you ask me. Neverttheless, the most important is to keep the spirit and sound alive with quality material and this is what MERCYLESS managed to do with this new album.
Same with NECROWRETCH "putrid death sorcery". We can be glad to have those bands together with RITUALIZATION or CADAVERIC FUMES to represent today's French Death Metal scene on international level Cool
gabalgabow

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you PESTILENCE lost a part of their own style trying to adapt...
On the other hand, it seems to me PESTILENCE was always "adapting" to new styles, so the problem might not be the adaptation, but a the lack of something during the adaptation...

I also agree with the quality of current Death metal albums, compared to those of the 90's. I might only change the date from 1995 to 1996 or something, but it doesn't matter.

Now, I only partially agree with the 3rd paragraph... Sorry but I still find bands who play old school death/ Obscure death (Or something like that) and inject enough of personality/ particularities/ differences in their music to avoid being just "One more band the ancient way". (Ok, it takes time and efforts to find something "A bit more" personnal).
I don't get more than that into these new MERCYLESS songs, or NECROWRETCH... It's too usual... I'm probably not conservative enough Ahr ahr
zoltar

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, they did what they had to do with this comeback album, i.e. returning to the sound of their first two albums. Classic death-metal with a massive SLAYER influences and catchy parts. It's a straight-to-the-point, no-frills kind of album and actually, I think the whole Dan Swanö thing just allowed them to have a tad fatter sound.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: