P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Morbid Angel worship
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  

I summon thee...
Abominations of Desolation
12%
 12%  [ 33 ]
Altars of Madness
41%
 41%  [ 108 ]
Blessed Are the Sick
14%
 14%  [ 37 ]
Covenant
10%
 10%  [ 27 ]
Domination
2%
 2%  [ 6 ]
Entangled In Chaos
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Formulas Fatal to the Flesh
6%
 6%  [ 17 ]
Gateways to Annihilation
2%
 2%  [ 7 ]
Heretic
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Illud Divinum Insanus
9%
 9%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 262

speedevilucifer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blodhemn9 wrote:
People who have never heard/have not given much time to Formulas... are really missing out. That album is an absolute beast of dense, blistering death metal with many of Trey's best solos and it's already a true classic of vicious creativity in my book. I can't believe it's already been out for 15 years.

Totally agreed.Especially the way that Tucker 'spits' the lyrics with cthulu and all those ancient deities.
For me their magnum opus is definitely ''Covenant',although the total worship for Altars.
Actually,until Formulas ,all albums are so magnificent..
The Farthest Star

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Formulas is ruined by the muddy sound job. I don't mean muddy as in inaudible -- I love inaudible raw chaos. But this is just *muddy*. Everything sounds too soft and cloudy, especially in contrast with the clicky drums. I wish I was merely nitpicking because I love the material itself, but the production is really just that bad.
Tireheb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muddy?? I start wondering have we listened to the same album. But yeah, Formulas is pretty much up there on the same line with Altars for me. Propably only reason why it could not top is the pointless keyboard tracks in the end (it just should end in triumph after Invocation of the Continual One), but there are days when I say it is the best as well.

"You can't hide the hook!"
The Farthest Star

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tireheb wrote:
Muddy?? I start wondering have we listened to the same album. But yeah, Formulas is pretty much up there on the same line with Altars for me. Propably only reason why it could not top is the pointless keyboard tracks in the end (it just should end in triumph after Invocation of the Continual One), but there are days when I say it is the best as well.

Yeah, muddy. Sounds like it's coming from a cardboard box. All dull like. Not enough definition in the guitars. Sounds decent enough when things slow down but the clicky drums completely dominate the faster sections and it's all too LEGO for me.
Xeniteia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They maybe used more "modern" equipment for recording, etc, but this record doesn't sound muddy to me.

And fuck yeah, despite Blessed... being my fave MA record, Formulas... is just such a beast of a record. A return to what made Altars... great after the somewhat feeble Domination and the useless live album that followed (which I own because I bought it back in the day but probably didn't listen to since 15 years or so).
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about the production for the most part, but I find that cranking that fucker up helps out a bit. Drums are definitely a bit dry and clicky, but not as irritating to me as they are on Covenant.

I don't care much for Tucker's vocals on the album, they are rather monotone... but I don't fault him for it . I don't think he has the option to make them 'catchy' like Vincent did because Trey wrote so many damn lyrics for each song that Tucker has no choice but to rush them out as fast has he can in most sections. Luckily the music is killer enough that the lackluster vocals don't bother me.
Airyanem Vaejah

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blodhemn9 wrote:
People who have never heard/have not given much time to Formulas... are really missing out. That album is an absolute beast of dense, blistering death metal with many of Trey's best solos and it's already a true classic of vicious creativity in my book. I can't believe it's already been out for 15 years.

Absolutely. One of the best 90s DM albums. These days I find myself listening to it more often than any other MA album.
wargoat_H

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I 'll vote for "Gateways...." as I think it's the second best MA album: spacey awesome compositions, without compromising what the band is about.

As for their milestone "Altars of Madness"? Milestone album that marked the lives of a whole generation.

If you don't accept this, either you weren't there, or you were and just tried to be anti-Death Metal : the Norwegians started to hate Death Metal after 1990-91 Laughing
Rapehumanbeing
banned

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wargoat_H wrote:
I 'll vote for "Gateways...." as I think it's the second best MA album: spacey awesome compositions, without compromising what the band is about.

As for their milestone "Altars of Madness"? Milestone album that marked the lives of a whole generation.

If you don't accept this, either you weren't there, or you were and just tried to be anti-Death Metal : the Norwegians started to hate Death Metal after 1990-91 Laughing

BAD CHOICE.
ias

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thy kingdom come! morbid angel with ultra crusty production makes me wet.
wargoat_H

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rapehumanbeing wrote:
wargoat_H wrote:

BAD CHOICE.

Oh well, I won't do that again.

Edit: Now you may excuse me, I'm going back to my Nat 'King' Cole records, must have my medicine and go to sleep - my nurse goes angry if she caught me being on the 'net and disagreeing with young people
Laughing Laughing Laughing

Are you ready?
jv

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Formulas is a great album. I'll agree that the production is a bit weak, but the riffs and atmosphere more than make up for it.

Going to listen to it now Cool
morfumax

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also spinning Formulas. I find nothing about the production weak.
Drink.Vomit.Repeat.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rapehumanbeing wrote:
wargoat_H wrote:

BAD CHOICE.

Like fuck it is!
Personally I go-
Gateways
Abominations
Formulas
Altars
Is one that gets away
TacoBell

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing:
Demos
Altars
Abominations
Blessed
Covenant

Good:
Gateways
Formulas

Don't care:
Heretic
Illud

maybe my favorite death metal band! Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 9 of 12

Jump to: