P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Quality Transylvanian Hunger worship
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IIIRD GATEKEEPER

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eighthplague wrote:
Perverted Necrofucker wrote:
Ulver-Nattens madrigal

What the hell are you talking about? There's little to no similarity between Transilvanian Hunger and Nattens Madrigal. Both are lo-fi black metal from Norway, and that's about it.

Funny how those old interviews still live and twist in the minds of the people, as Garm has said Transilvanian Hunger was an INFLUENCE on Nattens Madrigal. But then again, most people on this board understand being influenced as direct copying/"worship". Rolling Eyes

Branikald and Clandestine Blaze (to a certain extent) are the only recommendations I can back up here...

Aeonblade wrote:
Hyper distorted go nowhere songs with feedback sections. It's like everything wrong with doom.
under a funeral shroom

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vultyr album "Monument of Misanthropy" has always seemed underrated to me for this kind of stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1vXUVitAqc

But now in scene of baby Watains and weak emo scums with haircut
GoldenBull

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIIRD GATEKEEPER wrote:

Branikald and Clandestine Blaze (to a certain extent) are the only recommendations I can back up here...

Really agree with you here, especially the "to a certain extent" part. Seems to me none of the bands in this thread are really copying TH. There are millions of records with similar production, quite a few with similar riffs, etc., but I don't think any of them sound like TH. Not trying to make a cheesy "nothing touches the original" post either, these records simply don't sound alike to me at all.

Last edited by GoldenBull on Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:24 am; edited 2 times in total
Nrxhen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Arrival of Satan - Darkness Dealer

Awesome album !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4duXce1Dt40 (think about the 480p...)
GoldenBull

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 3 things about TH that make it stand out to me.

1. The production, which can be imitated by anyone and has really become generic as fuck.

2. The drumming. The faster parts of TH have a pulsing quality that gives the rhythms a different feel than typical BM blasting.

3. The riffs are extremely repetitive but they build so much subtle tension that they never get boring.

With the exception of #1 very few albums mentioned in this thread share anything with TH.

I've been listening to Sort Vokter's "Folkloric Necro Metal" a lot lately. While it sounds nothing at all like TH, it definitely has characteristics 2 and 3 happening in spades. Like TH it is extremely aggressive and hostile, even though the riffs develop really slowly. And the drums pulse.

Anyway it seems like a better idea to look for the elements that make TH unique and great instead of just asking for raw bm with repetitive tremolo riffing. So, despite a superficial lack of similarities, I'll recommend Sort Vokter as an example of a record with a unique sound that gives me a very similar feeling to that 4th Darkthrone opus.

Oh, and as for the "does Craft sound like Darkthrone" debate I'll agree they really don't, although the more rockin' breakdrown in "As Flittermice..." wouldn't sound totally out of place on Terror Propaganda.
Carpathian_Florist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoldenBull wrote:

Oh, and as for the "does Craft sound like Darkthrone" debate I'll agree they really don't, although the more rockin' breakdrown in "As Flittermice..." wouldn't sound totally out of place on Terror Propaganda.

Craft definitely has a ton of Darkthrone influence. The song "Fuck The Universe" has the identical riff to "Under A Funeral Moon". Does not mean they don't still kick ass. Total Darkthrone worship and they admit it.
GoldenBull

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. I was mostly talking about the question of whether their records are "Transilvanian Hunger" worship though.
Stalinorgel
banned

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIIRD GATEKEEPER wrote:
Funny how those old interviews still live and twist in the minds of the people, as Garm has said Transilvanian Hunger was an INFLUENCE on Nattens Madrigal. But then again, most people on this board understand being influenced as direct copying/"worship". Rolling Eyes

Yes. It was also compared in reviews. But we know how many bands existed back then, people just didn't know better. And surely not what was to come later.

But as the thread-title was fucked to begin with so it was not much to expect from the actually useful content/output of the thread itself.

CB and BBH. There you go.
Carpathian_Florist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoldenBull wrote:
Yep. I was mostly talking about the question of whether their records are "Transilvanian Hunger" worship though.

Yes, you are correct. There really is not any TH worship going on in Craft.
nileppez

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eighthplague wrote:

Perverted Necrofucker wrote:
Ulver-Nattens madrigal

What the hell are you talking about? There's little to no similarity between Transilvanian Hunger and Nattens Madrigal. Both are lo-fi black metal from Norway, and that's about it.

Yeah, this is a wtf comparision that for some reason pops up often.

Seconding Kult Ofenzivy. Very decent for that style.
Dalihrob

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it was meant to be a homage to TH but it defintely is a black metal incarnate. And in my opinion it sounds like Transilvanian Hunger devoid of any melodies. Just simplistic beating, ugly guitars and inhuman vocals.

Blut Aus Nord - The Mystical Beast of Rebellion
eighthplague

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dalihrob wrote:
I don't think it was meant to be a homage to TH but it defintely is a black metal incarnate. And in my opinion it sounds like Transilvanian Hunger devoid of any melodies. Just simplistic beating, ugly guitars and inhuman vocals.

Blut Aus Nord - The Mystical Beast of Rebellion

Totally different feel, playing style is way different. The only similarity is the fact that there are a lot of tremolo riffs. I guess I can see a general resemblance, from a wider perspective. Sort of like how Cannibal Corpse would sound like Transilvanian Hunger to someone who only listens to polka.
thus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrucifixionWounds wrote:
Branikald

Or Rundagor maybe...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnKjIZm2dIE

2nd riff Smile
NSD Records

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although Im repeating what has already been pointed out,
Clandestine Blaze and Blazebirth Hall Bands (Branikald and Rundagor) are the way to go, as they have managed to stay authentic with that style, rather than just beeing fans who whish to be grim and true by copying the "T.H." sound.

A lot of the bands in this category are just third-rate (or worse) copycats who may be able to handle their instruments and play that particular "Transilvanian Hunger" styled Black Metal, but simply lack the capability to display some sincerity. In lack of better words, they really lack the spirit and conviction to get that feeling reminiscent of "T.H." across. And this has become a plague in Black Metal as everybody thinks "I can do that, too", but they are just desperate and blind attempts by fans to reproduce the fierce authenticity of a bygone era.

As for a recommendation by myself, Id say Abyssic Hates "Eternal Damnation" MCD. For me its a much more convincing effort in that style
than most of the stuff after 2000 trying to emulate the "T.H." formula (some exceptions do exist of course).
Blood and Thunder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krakentorso wrote:
TH stands soo alone in it's own palace of glory. no wannabe clone can ever approach this monument.

This is the best and most accurate post in this thread.
Then the devil must...

http://www.blackmetalrevolution.com/preview.html
http://www.blackmetalrevolution.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/bmrevolution
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: